WHICH POWER STEERING FOR 260z 2+2 '77 IS BEST.?????????????

hotdog

Hi,

What is the best type of power steering to put in my 260z 2+2  ???

Just got the car and  finding it heavy around the city etc.  ADELAIDE

My mechanic is fitting it and i thought i would ask here before getting one fitted, is it an expensive job.??

Thanks for help

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,7174.0.html

If you do, its not a straight forward swap. Requires a bit of fabrication, not too hard but takes some time.

A few guys have done the WRX swap and it works very well.

What Doug said ^^

I just rebushed my whole front end, replaced the tie rods and balljoints and the front end now feels too light!!

I suspect it's the camber/toe-in on the tyres (I'm running a stock steering wheel).

Spend the money on making sure the front end is setup right and a gym membership to toughen up those guns.. :P

Well a Subaru conversion worked OK for me. there are a few details on this site.

The conversion cost me over $2,500- and I did a bit of running around for that as well. You won't get change out of 3K if someone is doing the whole box & dice for you. You need to decide how committed you are to the Zed before going ahead or just put up with it like most on here.  ;)

I have never ever heard of a 240Z or 260Z with light steering.  ::)

I have a 76 2+2 I have the original alloy wheels tyres are Kumo 195 70 14 at 36 psi (nitrogen), original steering wheel (15") the steering feels light enough. When I completely redo the front suspension with nissan rubber for the critical bushes and urethane for the rest I expect things to be even better.

Richard

Ez electric steering kit. $1600usd delivered to Aus.

www.zpowersteering.com installation will take less than a afternoon.

No hoses,pumps or fluid etc.

My friend has one in his 260z and when switched on and at 'parking lot' speeds its as light in steering as a corolla. He payed around $2500 for the same kit at the time but said it was worth the money as his car has 10" wide wheels and now his wife can drive the car.

My car has all new front suspension components and bushes but with 275/40 tyres bf goodrich semi-slick all round its quite heavy but no more heavier than other cars from the era. Just change the way you drive..eg do not dry steer and its very livable.

Thanks for reply.

I am definitely getting power steering, my wife needs it and this is our only family car.

So looks like the WRX  option  or the  ez electric type from USA.

I am not great on mechanics. The engineer i talked with wasnt sure what type would be best suited so i said i would research here and get back to him.

The WRX  system, is that available new or best to go to wreckers.?

Other posts i read mentioned a BMW m5  system.

I just want the easiest and cost effective option as it sounds like alot of labour hours to pay.

Many Thanks (new member)  joe

Hey Joe...

For you I think the electric system would be best, no need to worry about pumps, lines and fabrication.

The WRX "system" or any other traditional engine driven hydraulic steering is something you would need to source as individual components from the wreckers and there is a fair bit of fabrication and thus time and $$$ involved.

I would check with ez that there are no issues with RHD vs LHD as well.

FWIW I echo comments above, the Zed cars as designed do not need power steering if they are set up right, and I'm including female owners & drivers in that. My advice is to renovate the front end with new ball joints & tie rod ends, check & lubricate everything, make sure the steering rack is travelling well & not binding - as in slightly bent, & get a good accurate wheel alignment done to factory specs. And keep to factory or close to factory wheel widths, don't run wide tyres & rims!!! (You run 7" rims, & incorrect steering geometry, yes your wife will find the car heavy going). Get the above sorted to specs first, which it needs to be in any case, for a few hundred dollars, before you go looking at 3K power steering set-ups which just may be trying to compensate for geometry or mechanical problems or wide wheels.

Ez electric steering kit. $1600usd delivered to Aus.

www.zpowersteering.com installation will take less than a afternoon.

No hoses,pumps or fluid etc.

My friend has one in his 260z and when switched on and at 'parking lot' speeds its as light in steering as a corolla. He payed around $2500 for the same kit at the time but said it was worth the money as his car has 10" wide wheels and now his wife can drive the car.

I'm planning on a similar set-up, just something home brew based on a locally available donor. I have an idea of the signals needed to make it work, so I'll start there.

I know my lady had no problems with my 240z, but she hated driving the 260 2+2, always complained about how heavy it was, so when I took it off the road for rust repairs and she drove cars with power steering, she said don't bother putting the 2+2 back on the road as she will not drive it.

Hi Thanks for reply,

Looking at comments i think its best that i order the electric system from USA  as mentioned above.  It suits me as i cant go sourcing bits from wreckers when i have no mechanics knowledge etc.

I need the best outcome or my partner will not drive the 2+2 again. I have driven classic cars for 20+ years and this 2+2 is from memory the heaviest steering yet.

Is the ezsteering electric kit    the only kit of its kind made for Datsun 260's  .?    No similiar kits available in Australia.?

Thanks for all your help.  I have had over 15 classic cars over the years and enjoy this 2+2 more than any other classic, great driving and style lines.!

No other electric steering kit available in Australia that i have seen. There are 2 kits i have seen one from japan and the other from USA. I believe they are all manufactured by the same company in Japan using a modified Opel/Corsa rack i researched it quite abit several months ago and the cheapest electric option is from that link i provided.

Thanks Retro Z    for all the info sent.  I will go for the ezsteering one from USA.  It looks like a good easy option for me as i dont have the know how to go getting the bits from wreckers etc.

I Hope it makes a difference or my wife will go nuts, this is our only family car. ! 

Thanks Retro Z    for all the info sent.  I will go for the ezsteering one from USA.  It looks like a good easy option for me as i dont have the know how to go getting the bits from wreckers etc.

I Hope it makes a difference or my wife will go nuts, this is our only family car. !

dude seriously buy another run around for the family. I would hate to see what a zed what look like in a high impact crash... you can buy MY2000+ cars with full airbags, abs,tc and esc for under $3000 in RWC.

• 3 months later...

Just sue the front cross member out of a 280zx and the power rack then take the bolt on steering arms and reverse them so they face back wards and use short shaft out of the 280zx. the power steering pump and lines from the 280zx fit perfectly.

Just sue the front cross member out of a 280zx and the power rack then take the bolt on steering arms and reverse them so they face back wards and use short shaft out of the 280zx. the power steering pump and lines from the 280zx fit perfectly.

Got any pictures? Wont the steering turn the opposite way you turn the wheel  as the 280zx has a different facing rack?.

Dude seriously buy another run around for the family.

I would hate to see what a zed what look like in a high impact crash... you can buy MY2000+ cars with full airbags, abs, tc and esc for under $3000 in RWC.

This^^^

I Hope it makes a difference or my wife will go nuts, this is our only family car!

...otherwise tell your wife to HTFU or get a new missus.