71 240 grill and mounting brackets.....whats going on here????

KatoKid

Bit stumped on this one......

My car was pretty well completely disassembled when I got it so makes it hard to work out whats right and wrong. At some time in its previous life the car has had a minor shunt in the RHF, rails and everything else is straight but the apron where the headlight buckets and the bonnet hinges bolt had been a bit bent up and the panel shop did a great job fixing it. Thankfully this is the only sign of accident damage on the whole car.

So now to the problem........the lower RH bracket which supports the grill was mashed in the accident and broken so I took one off a later 240 (no date on the compliance plate but guess a 73 from the VIN) but this bracket is upside down compared to the bracket on the LHF of my car????

First photo is the original and undamaged LHF lower grill bracket.

Second photo is as the RHF bracket as it was orientated on the later donnor car.

When I place my grill on the car its clear that the lower RHF bracket needs to be in the same orientation as the LHF ie both pointing down so this means that there must be a difference in grills on early vs later 240's?

Can anyone confirm there is a difference in grills?

Thanks.

post-1672-144023694487_thumb.jpg

post-1672-144023694494_thumb.jpg

I just checked my 6/73 and they are both pointing up. I haven't even seen two in different directions.

Thanks for looking.

Thanks Mark, what year is Dalee's old Orange?

Sounds like there must be different grills, but they can be made to fit. Looks like early 240 had the brackets pointing down then they reversed for later 240's and then 260's went back to pointing down?

Will grab a photo of my grill and where the lower holes are.

OK, so first shot is the lower LHF grill mount. I'm confident that the grill is the original as it has been repaired on the RH side where the accident damage is.

Second shot is the lower RH grill mount with the bracket off the latter 240 turned upside down....works fine and lines up with the grill hole correctly.

Third shot is the same side but with the bracket pointing up as it came off the latter 240 donnor car....again this would work if there was a hole drilled higher up on the grill.

Can someone take a photo of how their grill mounts/where the holes are on a car that has the lower brackets pointing up....pretty please! I'm keen to get to the bottom of this as I need another grill, mine is damaged and if I can find a grill I want it to be the right one.

Thanks all.

post-1672-144023694528_thumb.jpg

post-1672-144023694535_thumb.jpg

post-1672-14402369454_thumb.jpg

I had this problem when sourcing a new grill for my late 76 260z  2 seater. There seems to be many versions and maybe even the catalog descriptions may be wrong. For example the one that suited my Zed was listed as for a 1973 240z. This is the one I purchased new from jdm spares usa:

DSCN4965.JPG

So either someone has their descriptions wrong or my 76 2 seater has had a cut and shut from a 73 front end?  :o

this one is supposed to be from early model 69-72

atakausa-img600x450-1255133443mnw6yt33894.jpg

this one listed as 74-76 and supposed to be correct for my zed but clearly not:

IMG_0544.JPG

Hope that helps

cheers,

Mike

Thanks Gareth, I don't contribute much but I help when I can. Worst would be to fork out money for parts from overseas and find them to be the wrong ones when they arrive. In the pics you can see the difference in mounting points. Heres one more pic, of the JDM mesh grill:

IMG_3024.JPG

cheers,

Mike

• Administrators

That last slated grille posted by Mike is for a 280z with the chunky safety bumpers. They had indicators mounted in the grille. Hence cut outs.

Also 280z was late 74 early 75 for US market.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Its cleared up a few things but also proved that there are a few options which doesn't seem to follow any logic.

So I need same as pic 2 which is for a pre 73 but is also the same as a JDM late 2+2 and assume will be the same for late 2 seaters.

Sorry Dave, I just saw this thread now.  Both mine on my '73 point up which is strange as I suspect the donor part was from my half?  I used half of that half on my car.  :o

Yep, did come from your half!