240Z with the Vinyl Roof

Hi All

I have a Datsun 240Z with a Vinyl roof and I am not aware of any other Zeds with Vinyl Roofs. Were there many Zeds sold with Vinyl roofs?

When I purchased my Zed the previous owner told me that the the reason for the Vinyl Roof was that the car had a vinyl roof because there were  a couple of Zeds hail damaged while on the Docks in Melbourne and Datsun placed the Vinyl roof on the car to cover the hail damage.

The Vinyl roof is finally getting to a state where it needs to be removed or replaced. Iam concerned that when I remove the Vinyl roof I am going to find hail damaage.

Does anyone know of any of the other Zeds with Vinyl roofs and has anyone heard of theory damaged on the Melbourne Docks theory?

Hi Mate,

Never heard of this or seen a Z with a vynil roof. Irregardless of what the dealer told you Zeds never had such additions. It's possible that a dealer can have all sorts of odd ball options fitted, but items like dodgy sunroofs or vynil roof will devalue a car irregardless who fits it as it's not factory.

My advise would be have it removed and fixed properly.

Cheers,

Sulio

I went to have a look at a 240z in western vic back in 96 with a vynil roof.  The guy had owned it for 20+ years and told me it was factory, didn't believe him then. 

Just a craze people went through, just like hacking bigs holes in the roof.

Oh yea it looked terrible.

My old man did his mechanics aprenticeship at a datsun dealership.  He said they used to fit 'dealer option' vinyl roofs to all kinds of Datsuns (not sure about Z's).  I'm with the other guys, get it fixed properly and painted, it'll look better and increase the value.

I remember seeing a '75 model 260 2+2 at Lindsay Drife's old Z-Spares shop in Clayton many years ago, it was dark green with a cream vinyl roof !!!!..........(which looked terrible)

Lindsay also said that they were a "dealer option" ............although not a very popular one I'm sure.

Alan

• Administrators

When I was first looking at Zeds about 6-7 years back I test drove a burgundy red 2+2 with a vinyl roof on it. The car went ok, but the roof was enough to put me off buying it.

I've heard all kinds of horror stories about the moisture that builds up underneath. Hope its ok on your car Motorsport Freak.

Don't listen to these chumps. ;D except Scando, He's almost right.

The vinyl roof is a factory option, but I believe they were locally made and installed in overseas markets. eg: USA got vinly roofs made by US companies, Aus got ones made by an Australian company. I guess it worked out cheaper for Nissan that way, and also, not many people wanted the option, so it would be silly to fit them in Japan and hope that the buyer wanted one.

They are listed in the Nissan Parts Book/microfiche as "Leather Top"  (page J4 180-1) along with the "racing strip" which is the side strip that went along the bottom of the doors and fender, also a factory option installed by the dealer if asked for by the purchaser. Like the reproduction ones Sulio has on his car.

They have a Nissan parts number (04160-00003 / 00016 for black), which makes it a factory option in my opinion, unlike generic dealer add ons like non nissan mags, pinstriping (not the racing strip), sunroofs etc, which were just done so the dealer could make an extra buck, though that mostly was in the US, as the demand for the Z here wasn't as big as it was there.

Saying these were dealer options, is like saying over fenders and the grande aero nose was a dealer option.

Learn something every day eh Sulio?

So that probably makes a Z with a vinyl roof rarer than other garden variety zeds that didn't get the vinyl roof (and uglier :) ). More valuable? who knows, I think they look better without them.

A few pics:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14049&d=1157537533

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14036&d=1157488622

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14033&d=1157485535

post-79-144023484089_thumb.jpg

I haven't seen a Zed without the foot rest bar. Mind you I don't look that often. Maybe they came in half way through production years if the early ones are missing them.

Come to think of it all those Zeds were 2+2's.

I purchased my first 260Z new in 1975 and they were selling like hot cakes for the full retail price and you took what arrived off the ship or you went to the bottom of the list and waited for another 6 months for the next shipment to arrive at an increased retail price although usually included some dealer aftermarket accessories like vinyl roofs, mags (they had hub caps then), front and rear spoilers, side protector strips or stripes, mudflaps, headlight covers & rear window louvres, lambswool seat covers, protector carpets, chrome front nudge bar, depending on your own negotiation and the dealer allocation of cars. As the car became more expensive during those inflationary years and an oil crisis, even back then, the cars popularity dropped off especially the 260Z 2 seater Coupe young enthusiast could no longer afford it but the 260Z 2+2 was in high demand more like owning a BMW coupe in todays prestige world and were driven mainly by business executives and/or wifes on company leases and were then turned over into the used car market after a couple of years, very few 2+2's were used around the track most were image cars garaged or used for shopping.

hey 260coupe , i remember that car 2 tone green lime colour i remember the owner your right it was a option but for some reason that car died a very horrible rusty death, in fact i think that was the only zed ive seen with a vinyl roof ,, early seventies saw a lot of cream vinyl roofs fitted to 180b sss coupes and many sedans just never was a favorite flavour on a zed