Jump to content

RB30X

Members
  • Posts

    1,983
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by RB30X

  1. And these mags are in normal newsagencies? Can you scan and post big sam's bit?
  2. What gearboxes do RB26DETT's come out with, they seem to go pretty good up to 600hp? How do you plan on making that much power? Maybe you should just buy a V8 supercar box!
  3. Well done mate, feels good to do it yourself hey. Wouldn't feel good if you cracked it though.
  4. Are those Otomoto's rota grid's? What size? I might get you to do me one with those wheels.
  5. Which photo did you use for that.
  6. Ben has some good pics in his build. http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,2043.0.html
  7. How much more rigidity would that add do you think? While you are on the subject, what about those braces that sit underneath the front guards/fenders that brace the strut tower against the cabin of the car. Are those sorts of braces available?
  8. That would be refering to 2 pack paint? What about epoxy primers? Thats the stage I'm up to. I want to use a good primer to seal my bonnet but Rev mentioned I can fill over the epoxy. I can still use acrylic paint over the exposy primer can't I.
  9. Just going back through some threads, didn't you use epoxy primer on your last car Rev? And is there anything special to add when priming/painting a urethane spoiler? cheers
  10. Isn't the material the advance wheel is made of brass? If it's steel I could do it but you wouldn't even get it to me by Saturday.
  11. I'm all ears.........and eager to get started.
  12. Rev you've come up with some pearlers lately. Hiding his own easter eggs, Molly, stand up comedy, Pinochio......are you sure you haven't been using 2 pack. Fine then.... 'crosses his arms' and 'stamps his feet' What sort of primer/filler do I buy. What sort of paint do I get and how much (for a solid 'new car' white colour) And dumb it down for me. You guys should do the part 2 of the 'tutorial' for a sticky in this section.
  13. There are a lot of unhealthy things out there in industry and the coorect personal protective equipment to suit. In regards to respirators I have access to half or full face respirators with chemical cartridges already through work. As well as disposable overalls if required. And when I say I'd spray at home, I have basically noone living down wind of me except some wild animals so I have already thought about the inconvenience that I might cause. I went into a paint place today and got two quotes. Plus a comment regarding the above "It's not as bad as people make out and there are no rules saying you can't do it" To paint my car with acrylic I would need: 2L of primer filler = $42 4L of thinners = $26 2L of white acrylic paint = $98 Total = $184 This would require a substantial cut and polish obvioulsy. The bloke there recommended due to the age of the car I should give it a good sand and seal it with an expoxy primer. He said this would help seal/prime the layers underneath and give you a fresh surface to work with. Any bog or filler can be built up over this layer. 5L Expoxy primer = $224 Epoxy hardener = $85 Then use 2 pack to paint (debeer products): 3L 2k surfacer = $117 1L Hardener = $85 2L 2k paint = $136 1L hardener = $51 1L thinner = $21 Total including epoxy primer = $763 As you can see there are pro's and cons for both methods. The idea of the epoxy primer sounds good, and then I could choose either method of paint. He said acrylic is an older method and 2 pack paints are a lot stronger and would be better if you plan on keeping the car for a long time. One thing I didn't get any info on was the requirment for a clear coat? As far a skill goes, I haven't painted a car before so I don't want to waste a lot of money on 2 pack paint if it is hard to use. Acrylic is easier but I don't want to have to spend hours buffing it to end up not getting the finish I'm after. Surely a solid white isn't that hard to acheive?
  14. Lacquer being acrylic?
  15. Because you need to bake it? Or because of the fumes. Apparently you can spray 2 pack in your back yard providing you only do two cars a year or something. I hear you about the pro job. I'd still like to work through and at least do the primer after getting each panel right.
  16. Well a mate of mine with a TT kit (the upgraded TT kit) is just starting to have problems with his box. I couldn't put a fugure on it though, but anything you could throw at one in NA form at least?? I bought mine installed already but you can pick up LS1/T56's (motor/gearbox) from wrecked Holdens from between $2500/$5000. cheers
  17. I'm up to the stage now where I will need to buy some primer/filler and start painting sections of my car. The bonnet is nearly ready to do first. There are paint places to go to where I live but I've heard the prices are quite :'( Anyway, like all things I type away on ebay and up come these kits you can buy. Now most people I know say to go 2 pack and I'm under the impression that means buying 2 pack primer as well as 2 pack paint. These kits seem to have everything I would need and if you include the cost to get it to me (maybe $60?) do you think they would still come out cheaper than buying it locally? Or can anyone recommend how to go about setting up for a respray in 2 pack. I'm just going a standard white too. Like a new car white. No pearl or metallic. Do you need to put a clear coat over 2 pack white. I thought the whole idea of 2 pack was it comes out glossy off the gun and didn't require a clear coat? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/21LTR-2K-2-PACK-CAR-AUTO-SPRAY-PAINT-KIT-MOTOSPRAY-/110578228603?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories http://cgi.ebay.com.au/6-LITRE-2K-HO-WHITE-KIT-AUTO-PAINT-INC-HARDENER-/120615292132?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories http://cgi.ebay.com.au/6-LITRE-2K-CLEAR-KIT-AUTO-PAINT-INC-HARDENER-/120615296302?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories
  18. I'd take a punt and say you've used a hose to refil the radiator and splashed water over the engine electricery. Park it in the sun for a few days and let it dry out. I washed my VL turbo once and woke up to a strange noise at 3am in the morning. It was my pop up calais headlight eye lids popping up and down due to moisture in the relay.
  19. You can stroke any 5L but your money is better spent on an LS motor. Looking good Peter. The ball is rolling now.
  20. Got a bit of a surprise today flicking through a Zoom mag. I sent a few pics in a while back but never thought it would actually end up in there. Didn't include anything I mentioned about the PO completing most of the work. Oh well, hopefully it'll be worthy of its own few pages in a few years.
  21. The only thing is when you move them around you have to be a little more careful with a three wheeler considering the 6 pot is quite long and there is more weight over the front wheel.
  22. She's saying, "how much did this thing cost us?"
  23. So how much was it again to hire Scoot and Dale? I'm thinking of having them round to my place, can they paint as well.
  24. Have a read here if you haven't already. http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,5918.15.html A generous and handsome man has drawn up a diagram for how they work.
×
×
  • Create New...