-
Posts
599 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
1
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Gallery
Events
Articles
Media Demo
S30z Register
Store
Everything posted by 260Coupe
-
Dave you are spot on ............we have found that not all want to blast around the track hence why I planned the Nav Rally as an alternate event for 2007, also the track entry was capped at 100 entrants (from memory) so we had to plan for an alternative event for those who may have missed it. The morning nav rally with over sixty entrants ended with a couple of parade laps around the P.I circuit..........which was a highlight for those who had not driven the circuit before. The 2001 Nationals held in Sheparton also had a third competition day where we held a motokhana on the skid pan at Deca (Sunday was the track day with an alternate touring drive of the local country side and wineries).............unfortunately Sheparton is out for the foreseeable future due to the Easter Nats moving to Winton. So it is my view that you must cater for all with a variety of events.........some like the Show n Shine, others a nav rally/touring drive........others are into track events. The last three of the NDSOC hosted Nats have catered for all tastes and next year wll be no different. Al.
-
Gav Thanks for the offer and yes we will take you up on the advertising side of things..............I do recall posting regular updates for the 2007 and trying to generate some enthusiam but felt there was little return (possibly due to some residual politics at the time) Whilst the advertising would be great, we would also like real world assistance in the form of people who volunteer their time to assistance in organising events both during the planning stage and over the duration of the event............this is where we always struggle to find people with the real commitment. 1600Dave has a great idea however we have tried this in the past and we have found that the invited clubs where "all show and no go" .....plenty of enthusiam but no real action .......we will try again for 2013. The other point is management committees often turn events into a 'commercial' enterprise whcih sees entry prices sky rocket and go beyond the reach of many..........at club level we try and keep entries fees to an absolute minimum as we are not in it for the big profit margins. On the subject of venue..........Winton is out as they have moved the "Bogan Nats" to Winton over Easter so we are trying to lock in P.I again, the issue is that P.I will not commit to a booking until early 2013 and insist that we hire the track for a minimum of two days (around $20k).....in 2007 we managed to get the BMW club to take on one day to split the cost. So we have a number of challenges to overcome for 2013 however I you where one of the 200 entries we had for the 2007 event at P.I, I'm sure you will attest to a great weekend it was..........the next one should be even better. Alan Life Member NDSOC
-
Hi guys, this topic has been covered a number of times and the reality is the $$$............. as the guys have stated I have been involved in organising three Nationals with the NDSOC, the last been the 2007 Nats at P.I and many years ago we found that to confine the event just to Zeds is not financially viable (if you want to hold a track day in particular) hence why we initiated the "Nissan/Datsun Nationals" in 2001............together whith the fact that the NDSOC has over 50% of members who have vehicles other than Zeds...........and it adds to the "colour and variety" of vehicles and their owners. The 2007 Nationals had over 200 vehicles entered, of these we had around 50 Zeds ............if the event was confined to Zeds we would have gone broke or not held a track day and not had merchandise.....etc.........so it would turn into a "nob polishing fest" in a park rather than the multi event that we held (Show n Shine, Nav rally and track day) . These events take a huge amount of organisation and funding to get up and running, as such no organising club wants the event to fail and we have seen the success the viarity of vehicles has brought to the bi-annual event. Whilst I cannot speak for the Sydney or QLD Zed club, the NDSOC maintains individual classes and trophies for Zeds to maintain the heritage of the "Zed Nationals" , so for those who felt that past couple of events may have lost their "Zedness" ........be assured that whilst all marques will be catered for and celebrated , the Zed focus will return for 2013. Alan NDSOC
-
I would rather not cut a new thread on the standard rods, I have heard of them becoming weak and breaking this way hence chasing the newer parts. Do not try and re-thread the caster rods..............you will need to soften the spring steel and then reharden.............this will make them dangerously fragile Try a set of Tech Toy Tuning castor rods..........rose jointed and fully adjustable (not sure about the RWCness of them though) http://technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=668
-
These were definitely genuine Nissan Dimitri...........(came in a Nissan box, from Nissan and withy a Nissan part number.........so I hope they are genuine ) I'll have to look up the part number but the price was $750 for a vented and $680 for early solid bonnet. I bought 2 x vented so I have a spare.............just in case Alan
-
The KYB's are a straight swap . After speaking with Barry at Top permformance, the Koni Yellows need some mods to shaft length to fit in a 260. I have the KYB's with King Springs in my 260 and the ride is excellent (for the money spent)...........I was however very dissapointed with the KYB's I installed in my Z31 (too soft) so I swapped these out for Koni yellows last week and the ride is brilliant. If your Zed is only to be used on the road and you're are on a tight budget then I would suggest the KYB's as they are only around $350-$400 a set and an easy swap out............Koni's would be double that at least. Note - KYB's are not adjustable on the rebound - Koni Yellows are adjustable....................but you get what you pay for.
-
Roger that - the factory put heat shields on for a purpose ...........so if it's missing.........put one on
-
Do you have the original heat shield still fitted between the carbs and exhaust manifold? From my experience fuel does not vapourise in the lines (as it is a return system that constantly circulates fuel)..........and vapour lock issues will usually be in the carbs due to radiant heat coming up from the exhaust manifold. The age old method to prove this was tie a rag around the fuel bowls and pour water over the rag, as the water evapourates it will cool the float bowls and "should" remedy the problem...............all be it temporarily. This may help identify where the problem is. I have also had fael vapourise in after market electric pumps (those square diapragm pumps are the worst).........maybe check that as well Alan
-
Not quite correct - I bought 2 x vented bonnets from Brighton Nissan in April last year when I "Liberacied" the girl who stopped at the green light. These were remanufactured from Nissan in mid 2009 from the dates on the part number stickers. If you look hard enough you can find them (ex japan now) I bought two so I have a spare in case I have another incident at a green light ! Alan
-
I bought two genuine sets of Nissan Comp Steering arms a few years ago ex Japan (> $450 each landed) and have had a set fitted to my road Zed for some time, response is much faster and bump steer is reduced as well (used in conjuction with 50mm strutt spacers) I had a set fitted to my Sc240 race car and the steering was brilliant on the track with sticky rubber with only two turns lock to lock. The down side is steering load is increased at load speed and can be a b1tch to park especially if you have a small diameter steering wheel. SW motorsport also sell a set of shortened arms ($450) and they are big, heavy and look very clunky............I think I'd always prefer a factory part over a an OEM copy or after market stuff I am selling my spare set of Comp arms on feebay................being a factory part they will still pass any road worthy (if fitted to a road going Zed) http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200650191646?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649 Alan
-
Hi Guys Just an update on the Marque Sports GT Rally The format is similar to that used on the Grand Prix Rally with touring maps issued and fun criptic navigation questions to get to your check points and final destination on Sat arvo..........where we generally have dinner at a pub, an ale or two and party on. There is also a "Top Gear" Challenge planned for Sat arvo just to add to the fun The route will take us from Lilydale area down through Sth Gippland (via all sealed back roads) to a mystery overnight stay, Sunday will be more of the same with the finishing point approx 1 hr from Melb at around 3pm........at this point results are collated and prizes awarded for those who got it right............and those who got it all wrong. Limit of 40 cars and with 20 + cars entered to date, numbers are filling fast PM me for an entry form Al.
-
Skedy Zed's were reliable daily drivers in the 70's and there is absolutley no reason why they should not be now...............fuel ecconomy should not really come in to the equation if you really wanted a retro 70's sports car.......(if you want economy buy a Getz) .... but if that is a concern you should get 10-12 ltr/100km on average from a properly tuned 240/260 with 1 3/4 Hitachi SU's. Lack of air con can be tiresome on days > 30 deg ...........but toughen up ! . The only "daily driver " issue can be the parking dents and risk of being hit . There are always trade offs between a 70's jap classic and a modern " econobox" lacking any character and soul.......... but that is what make the experience worth the effort.
-
The Ebay Thread #2 - Post Ebay Parts Here!
260Coupe replied to XRQTR's topic in Parts and Tools for Sale
Simon I have a DR30 3.9 LSD in my Green 260 and it was bolt in with the 260z half shafts fitting straight in (spline size was the same) Not sure on the compatibilty with the 280zx rear end half shafts Al. -
Hi Guys This event is not restricted to only NDSOC members................all are welcome to enter. PM me with yor email address for an entry form cheers Alan
-
I understand Simon.......I also have rug rat so cannot get away as often as I could in years past. (This is one of the few weekends I can get away) You are welcome to just do the Saturday drive only if you like
-
The NDSOC Marque Sports GT Rally is on again this year, schedule for Oct 22/23 This year we ar off for a fun navigation style rally around Sth Gippsland (on all sealed roads) with a mystery over night stay. Cost is $35 entry fee (to cover organisation costs) plus accommodation and fuel (accom costs to be confirmed but very inexpensive) For those interested in a great weekend away driving some of the best roads in the state, PM me for further details. All welcome Alan
-
It's nice to finally see some positive comments about the NDSOC , Chev Z you are absolutely spot on, the negativity tends to come from those who have never been a member or may "know someone who may have had a bad experience in the past"......so they formulate an opinion that is not based upon fact. For the NDSOC members who do post on this site ( Simon, Dimitri, Steve, Jimbo, Dale just to name a few), I'm sure they will attest to the great experiences they have had with the club over the years, the events we organise or able to access via the club and the services we offer (CAMs licenses, CPP's etc). What bewilders me most is the fact that for all the people here who are so passionate about their Zeds............I would have thought that there would be some incentive to at the very least come along as see for themselves what the NDSOC was all about rather than taking the negativity from a few as gospell. Alan
-
I have heard of claims being disallowed and policies being "Void from inception" due to Tint too dark (AAMI) and tyres unroadworthy (RACV) I think the greatest risk is an at fault claim to one of the major general insurers that go out of their way to disallow a claim. A mate runs a panel shop he reckons the first job of any assessor is to look for any "escape route" for the insurer. Stick to the specialist insurers and declare all mods and there should not be a problem
-
Thanks Simon for one voice of reason Ok you all need to deep a deep breath and a chill pill ..............there are many opinions expressed here, some legitimate, some are misguided, some from "armchair experts" on the subject, some make for "interesting reading" from those who have never been involved with the NDSOC........... Others are just plain rediculous. Firstly, for those making all the noise………why not contact me directly for an explanation rather than start another forum for "NDSOC bashing". The issue of Club Permit Plates for new members is currently under review by the NDSOC committee due to the influx of applications since the inception of the 90 day log book scheme. (both with Nissan/Datsuns and other makes of vehicles) There is some concern within the club's committee (and me as Secretary and responsible for the scheme) that some applicants may only intend using the club as a vehicle to obtain Permit Plate (it may be seen as cheap rego by some) and have little or no intention in participating in NDSOC events or supporting the club in any way. In short ..........you pay your membership fee, get your permit plate and the club never sees you again.............Some may say - "so what?" Answer - all car clubs utilize this scheme to benefit its members and would hope that the member be active and join the particular car club for the right reason; that is to participate in club events and become an active member of the club……not just to obtain a permit plate. The new 90 day log book scheme has a much higher level of administration (and penalties to the club for infractions), the NDSOC provides this service to its members at no additional cost. To issue a Club Permit to someone who has not demonstrated any intention in participating in NDSOC events or give anything back to the club is a drain on the club's resources and is goes nowhere in promoting the club and actually erodes the active membership base and risks turning the club into an inactive organisation with a great "on paper" membership but a shrinking active membership base. . This issue was discussed with the AOMC (The governing body of the CPS) and they recommend that Club Permit Plates not be automatically issued to all new members but to implement a "qualifying period" to better determine if the new member was joining the club to participate .........not just obtain a club permit . Their concern is that there will be a massive influx of permit plate applications (and there has been) that may eventually jeopardise the entire scheme which will impact thousands of legitimate club permit holders. Many car clubs have had this “qualifying period” in place for many years regarding issuing Permit Plates so if the NDSOC was to continue down this path it would not be setting a precedent, it would however soon weed out those who are only looking for a permit plate and not really interested in the club per sec’. With this in mind, the NDSOC has made tentative steps in this direction subject to a formally agreed position by the committee, if the prospective or current member had issues with this I would have expected that they do me the courtesy of contacting me directly rather than create another "sh!t storm" on this forum. From some of the comments made here including “There are plenty of clubs who will issue permit plates” etc………..it is pretty clear that the choice of club for some would based upon which was easiest to obtain a permit plate rather than which club would be most like minded or which club the person would get the most out of and attend the events organised. In the past I have invited participants of this forum to join the NDSOC and extended invitations to events with little response, and in some cases the response was blatant hostility from those who do not wish to abide by NDSOC club rules or do not see the value in a $65 membership fee. As there is now a sudden influx in NDSOC interest (along with the permit plates ), by my estimation it can only be due to the permit scheme……not that there is a sudden interest to join to attend events or assist in “taking the club to the next level” I’m sure there will be more “discussion” on this subject however it is a demonstrable fact that there are many participants of this forum who previously had no intention of joining the NDSOC until now …………and their NDSOC application will almost certainly be accompanied by an application for a Permit Plate. So the question that is the most obvious is: Why are Melb based Zed owners from this forum who have been aware of the NDSOC for some time are only now wanting to join the NDSOC ?? ............a rhetorical one I think. As for the misguided comments about the elected committee (again from non members), every financial member has the chance to join the committee at the annual AGM. Every year we find, like most clubs, that the same people end up volunteering their time as no other person wants to commit their time to the job. On the subject of supposed “Gen Y prejudice”, as inferred by one poster to this discussion, there is certainly no prejudice within the NDSOC committee as we welcome any person willing to put their hand up to assist running the club. However my personal experience has been that most GenY’s are all about “what’s in it for me” …take everything you can and give nothing back………..evidenced by the fact that every club I am a involved with have very few committee positions filled by “Gen Y’s”….but that is another can of worms (I don't want to upset the Gen Y'ers) So in summary………should the NDSOC become an association of convenience for any person just requiring a Club Permit Plate ?………(and I’m not suggesting that all new members are looking for this convenience) or should it not firstly have the option to gauge if the new member is in fact going to be an asset to the club and not just an administration liability. We are not in the business of making it "difficult" to join the NDSOC as all are welcome to join...........what we are now questioning is the motives behind the applicant when they have a CP plate application attached to their membership form. At risk of turning prospective members away, I would argue that any member joining for the “right reasons” would agree to “wait period” (duration to be determined by the amount of event participation) and I’d further argue that those making the most noise without contacting me directly to discuss this and would rather shout about it in an open forum are those who clearly are only wishing to join for their own gains.......(I hope I am proven wrong) . It is my view that the NDSOC is the premier Zed club in the country evidenced by the quality of the events we hold (every Zed Nationals has been a huge success and far better organised then other states) however it seems that many non NDSOC members here are happy to deride and make subversive comments via web forums with little if any experience with the club and would rather chat on line than actually join in and attend events with real people.......a great shame. For those with a genuine interest in joining, participating and obtaining CP plates all that I ask is that you join for the right reasons, .........not much to ask I would not think. Oh and finally, in answer to Daniels comments , club scrutineers only provide Letters of Safety in lieu of an RWC to standard cars or those with light/minimal mods, any vehicle with major mods to brakes and suspension require a RWC and in some cases engineers reports........these are all assessed on a case by case basis. Daniel you have a long standing gripe with me and the NDSOC committee and have made some absolutely outlandish statements and accusations in the past, I just wish you'd call me to discuss this rather than air your dirty laundry on a public forum. Sorry that my response was so overly verbose however as the Permit Plate Secretary for the NDSOC for the past five years, this subject is of extreme importance to me and the club (and the 70+ members we have with permit plates). The opinions expressed here are solely my own and are not that of the NDSOC committee, the committee will be discussing this at the next committee meeting, for those NDSOC members wishing to have input please PM me rather than inflame this thread further. regards Alan Fildes Permit Plate Sec. NDSOC
-
They were my old Mikuni 44's off my old 240z race car !..........the carbs I should never have sold when I sold the 240 :'(
-
Boy what a can of worms ! I have Triple Mikuni 44's on my Zed and they were dyno tuned and set up precisely a few years back and I have not touched them since (and do not expect to for many years to come), performance is as smooth as injection and the Zed could easily be used as a daily (although fuel economy would not be as good as injection). I also have twin Mikuni 44's on my Sports 2000 track car and these have not required any tuning, tweeking or fiddling for over 10 years. I can only comment on Mikuni's as these are my carb of choice . I would suggest your budget would be a major factor with what your induction system options are. Alan
-
Jason I could not agree more, as permit Plate Secretary for the NDSOC we have seen abuse of the scheme in the past that almost caused our rights to the scheme to be revoked by Vic Roads (which would have impacted 60+ permit plate holders in our club). Now that the 90 day log book has been introduced here in Vic the onus is now off the club to police the use and up to the permit holder to ensure the scheme is not abused. We still have rigorous requirements around membership and vehicle eligibility. Can the QLD Z club not get together with other car clubs and petition QLD Roads to adopt the 90 day log book scheme ........it took nearly 7 years in Victoria to be adopted by Vic Roads but we got there eventually. Alan BTW Sure I can't twist your arm to part with an H190 LSD centre
-
Deposit Paid
-
Hey Stivva Put me down for a pair of the flat style ..........mine are looking a bit tatty and sone fresh bling is required Let me know if you need some $$ for a deposit.............PM me Alan
-
Good point however the engine will only be used in a road car and not spun past 6500............hence why I was only after some good standard rods
