Gear Knobs and Steering wheels

stevo_gj

My mechanic picked up my Z yesterday along with all the associated parts for the manual conversion, and I realised that I don't have a gear stick knob. So I was browsing ebay, MSA and the interior photo's that people have posted in the search for a gear stick knob. I found this nice mahogany one, attached below.

I am quite partial to the wooden trim on the knob and was thinking that I would probably get a matching steering wheel and gear stick knob. However the steering wheels from MSA seem like they could possibly be a bit tacky, and I haven't seen one actually installed in a Z. Does anyone on this forum have one of those MSA steering wheels in their car and any feedback on it?

I know that the grains dont match on two I have attached, they are just examples of what I hope to find in matching grains. MSA does sell the matching grain to that knob but the wheel is a little bit thick for my liking. I'm basically hoping to find a wheel and knob that match the shapes of the first two photos, but that have the same grain/colour as each other. Not necessarily from MSA though..

Any suggestions would be great  ;D

post-931-144023492736_thumb.jpg

post-931-144023492738_thumb.jpg

post-931-14402349274_thumb.jpg

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't there that wooden grain in the strip along the interior of the doors?

I'll check and see what SAAS has.

EDIT I am just looking around for nice steering wheel/gear stick knob combinations. I love the stitched leather look that was commented on by several people in the "What you want your car to look like thread" but it's simply too expensive.

Steve

I should retract my comment :-[

Everyone has their own taste & that’s fine.

Faux' wood in a 70's Jap sports car has never sat well with me personally.

Real wood should be left in cars like Jags, Rollers & Bentley’s  ;)

I'm sorta Half half in this deal xP

Hate the look of wood in the interior ( like SLR toranas )

Although love the clean Vintage look it give any Older style car Like a mustang/torana Or even a Z xD

I suppose it all matters on the other interior bits aswell, - They look great in any black interiors, But bright interiors arn't for me...

Overall, Its just personal taste like many have said,

Real wood should be left in cars like Jags, Rollers & Bentley’s  ;)

Agreed Although a nice 3 spoke chrome wheel Wood Wheel Definently suits any Black interior very well,

hehe i counted in one of my hot rod magazines, 9/12 cars with black in interior's had wheels like these,

- Michael

I run Nardi leather that came from an early wrx and MX5. i like it looks classic but that little modern twist. also run nardi alloy pedals. as for gearnob im trying to find a nice nardi but at he moment i got my old Grex TRUST alloy one. other gearknobs that i vouch for is RAZO. brilliant gearknobs.

as a rule. i never even bother looking at MOMO or ISSOTA. big heap of S#%T

i have a nardi boss, they come up for sale every now and again on ebay for around $60ish. my only worry with the boss is how much they then push the mounting face towards the driver, as i was planning on getting a 350mm deep corn one which has a further 80mm offset from the mounting face so has a similar look to the original wheel.

i have a nardi boss, they come up for sale every now and again on ebay for around $60ish. my only worry with the boss is how much they then push the mounting face towards the driver, as i was planning on getting a 350mm deep corn one which has a further 80mm offset from the mounting face so has a similar look to the original wheel.

Are you worried that your wheel will be too close to you? I take it that the "boss" is an adaptor style thing that connects the Nardi wheels to the original steering column?

Hi

I have just put an Autotechnica wood rim wheel on (fairly thick rim) that I got off a parts car plus I have an Autotechnica wood gear shift knob the same style as your picture. The boss is readily available.

Not quite the same colour wood, but my wheel is fairly old. The new ones look very similar to the gear shift knobs. You should take a look. Here is a link to the style of mine.

https://www.americanautos.com.au/cgi-bin/fccgi.exe?w3exec=aap.control&session=1482074297111085&formname=prices&newform=product&option=22-211C

Warren

yeah the boss is an adapter thing that bolts onto the shaft then has the screws for the wheel face to mount to. the nardi screw spacing is slightly different to momo etc, but they are all the same sort of idea and you can get adapters from one to the other (which ofcourse make it thicker again)

i'm worried the wheel will end up to close to me, but i guess i can always tilt the seat back a bit more and be fully sick bro :D it wouldn't be hard to mock up where the wheel would sit, but i haven't gotten around to it as i dont have the money to waste on a nice wheel atm...or a reason for it lol

you can get the boss kits fairly cheap from the importers.they usualy universal fit to nardi and momo steering wheels.

igot mine from the importers it was a nissan one but not sure which one.

my mate gave me his 180sx one which was calopsable type but it wouldnt fit.

so i assumed it was from an earlier nissan the one i got.

check local ebay for cheaper prices. they do pop up evey now and than.

also that type of wheel you can also get from importers as its a popular style in Japan.

Quite a few early Japanese cars had wood rim steering wheels, Honda S600 & S800, Prince Skyline GT, Isuzu Bellet GT, Mazda 1000 Coupe, Datsun 240Z, Toyota 2000GT.

Probably a few more that I have forgotten Lynton 8)

on the barcode sticker on mine it says nissan up the top and names 240/260/280z, along with other cars which i think all had 6 cylinder L series engines (ie 240k, 280c)

and the big number which on yours appears to say 5005, says 1005 on the one i've got

but hopefully it works! the overall box of yours looks like a newer design judging by the white writing at the very bottom

I've located a brisbane based seller with a boss kit for the S30s, and its got 6 bolts like the steering wheel. Am I correct in assuming it should bolt on nicely?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NISSAN-DATSUN-240z-260z-280z-panels-and-BOSS-KIT_W0QQitemZ120291822950QQihZ002QQcategoryZ6763QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers,

Steve

i think the diameter of the holes are different for different wheel brands, hence why items like the one linked below exist

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nardi-Steering-Wheel-Adapter-Kit-Nardi-to-MOMO-Hub-12mm_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122QQcategoryZ33704QQihZ009QQitemZ190242227336QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V

in the pic of the one you linked to it looks like there are 12 holes, so maybe this is to account for that?

the holes on my nardi boss seem to be spaced with a diameter of 73-74mm, i can find my vernier and my digital calipers battery is flat so thats the best i can do lol

• 3 weeks later...

Well while taking some photos of my gauges for speedhut I took some pictures of my new steering wheel and gear knob to give some kind of completion to this thread:

I'm very pleased with the wheel and knob and peoples comments that it looks like its meant to be there.

Sadly the mahogany knob didn't match the wheel as closely as I thought they would, but I hardly notice it.

post-931-144023494966_thumb.jpg