Front and rear CAMS approved tow hook ideas, show me what you have

sco_aus

So make a metal bar that extends it and use a bolt and nut so it is the first thing to break... My problem with the solid ones is that if you have to be towed at an angle, it will bend the hook or the car.

I had an off at my last track outing (a while ago).  I had an adjustable tow hook similiar to the velo item. 

Unfortunately, because of where the hook was attached and the angle to the tow vehicle, my bumper came of second best. 

The loop on the hook needs to be almost forward of the bumper to stop this happening.  Thats why I thought a solid hook would work better.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Bruce, that does raise a good point if racing with a bumper on, any upward angle to the tow vehicle will put pressure on the bumper.  My problem with the solid ones is that the distance between the most forward bolt on the standard bumper mounts and the hook is quite long and if you were towed at a sideways angle it would bend the tow hook or worse yet, the car.

• Moderators

Gidday

I don't know what the Cams rules are but thought the following may be worth a mention?

Most Toyota passenger cars have a massive eye bolt fitted through through the front bar for transport, it screws out and is removed before the customer picks up the car. The eye bolt is about 200mm long with 25mm thread.

Possibly a solution is to fit a "receiving" tube then screw this in when needed, if it needs to be permanently attached just weld in place?

I can get my hands on a few of these. If you want to look at one I could drop one in the post, just PM me.

Cheers

PB

PS: would have posted a image but technology is not my friend tonight. ???

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I know I'm dragging up a bit of an old thread, but would anyone be interested in buying a set of tow points from ZCCJDM?

I emailed Brian and postage was going to cost more than the tow hooks are worth, so if I can split the postage with a few people that would be grouse!

I know I'm dragging up a bit of an old thread, but would anyone be interested in buying a set of tow points from ZCCJDM?

I emailed Brian and postage was going to cost more than the tow hooks are worth, so if I can split the postage with a few people that would be grouse!

1863_pd1761636_3.jpg

Those would be SOOOO simple to have lazer cut & bent locally...