White 240z on eBay ... has anyone seen it?

AussieZed

Hi folks,

I am considering buying a 240z or 260z 2 seater to complement my 260z 2+2 (-: .... has anyone seen this car which has been on eBay for ages....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1972-Datsun-240Z-SPORTS-White-5sp-M-Coupe-/170559071182?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item27b61ce3ce

What's wrong with it??

Any advice or info gratefully accepted ...

Cheers Ross

Quick skim suggests the bottoms of the front guards have been replaced (badly), given the funny angles they're at.  Sills look a bit funny too, like they may be flat instead of a little curved top to bottom, but that could be the photos.  Drivers door appears to be a slightly different colour, but again, could be the photos.  Bit of rust staining visible in the engine bay shots, particularly the bolts that hold the front guards on, but in a few other spots as well.

Still in the engine bay, the 'return' on the LH guard where the bolts that hold it on are is very dirty - why?  Could be scum buildup from sitting in someones back yard for a while, but a car yard would normally make sure to wash that off.  Given there appears to be a well defined line where the dirty paint goes to very clean paint just before the fold leading into the externally visible part of the guard, one would suggest it's been resprayed.  Looks like a rust bubble on the front side of the radiator too, in the same photo.

I would suggest that it likely will need quite a bit of bodywork to bring it up to scratch and rectify dodgy previous work.  You never know though, it might be a bit rough, but perfectly acceptable to use as a daily.  Given that it is still there however, probably not the case, although old cars really don't seem to sell well through dealers for some reason, unless they are well restored examples.  What I would term "as is" cars tend to languish on their lots for ages, seen a few different makes and models do the same thing, especially if they're a bit sporty.  Think the market for that aged car is very suspicious of used car dealers morality.

On the plus side, it seems to be mostly complete, which can save you a lot of money in the long run, hunting down little bits and pieces.

Hi Ross,

I have had a good look at this car and unless you have a money tree stay away.

My first thoughts were that the car had been submerged in water, I can guarantee that once you started to look for rust it would never stop. I offered the seller $3K as all the car is good for is salvaging engine, suspension (all needing full reco) etc.

The car could be restored but I would budget $70K + to end up with an ordinary car.

Sorry for the bad news.

Cheers,

Aaron

Think the market for that aged car is very suspicious of used car dealers morality.

I got caught by a car Stealer with my purchase of my 240z back in 1987, it looked fantastic in the lot nice new paint, the car had been sitting there for along while as well with a heavy price on it, back then it was $7k, I crawled all over it and it looked real good, if only I had gone over it with a fridge magnet before I offered him 4.5k for it as it was.

I could not believe that somebody would go to all the trouble of bogging the underside and all the other major parts, the door sill were filled with that spray foam and then filed and bogged, The car could have broken in half just behind the seats. None of the rust repairs had been fixed with steel welding. Even had sliver air conditioning tape over the rust holes.

I spent months fixing this, It would have been far easier to have scrapped it then, to pay somebody to do what I did I could have bought a new car.

I see he has this yellow and black V8 240z as well, I see he has had them both advertised since October last year.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1971-Datsun-240Z-SPORTS-Yellow-3sp-Coupe-/170559071707?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item27b61ce5db

I have been looking at both for a few weeks was considering my self flying down to have a look, I would be interested in any reports on either.

email .

davava2001@yahoo.com

Hey Mate

I have seen both of these  cars about 6 months ago , I went through them pretty throughly, i spent over 40 minutes looking at them athe dealer didnt even get of his chair to ask me any questions

Let me tell you that are are in real bad shape , bog and rust everywhere, as stated by aaron not worth that much and i think aaron was generous offering $3k

Loui

;D I'm with all The Sydney fellas, wouldn't touch either of the cars with a forty foot pole. I walked into the yard & couldn't get out quick enough. A shame to see two once great cars reduced to their now pitiful state. Might point out he has falsely advrtsd the 240SLY unit, as its listed as having a dfrnt motor to the V8 that is fitted. That should be a warning if nothing else is. Spiderken's 2+2 V8 would be a better propstn .

Regards: Alan.  :D