L24 worth modifying?

ScottyB

Ok, so I am new to Zed's and looking to buy my first one.

Happens to be a matching numbers 240.

If I get the bug (always have done) to get some more perfomance out of it, what can I expect from the L24?  Seems like most people convert to an L28 and go from there.

Will this be the best option or could I keep the matching numbers aspect for my own peace of mind and work the 24?  Or buy an EFI 28 - but keep the L24 in the garage?

I search but didn't find much sorry.

Cheers - Scott.

I take it your looking at Richards 240z...I know the car.

L24's go hard with some work done to them and a set of tripples..Mine went better than alot of L28s aroung here.

And Richards goes hard the way it is..  L28 - L24 = 400cc not that much is it.

• Moderators

The only reason I'm modifying my L24 is because when I bought the car, I also got the matching number engine with it (in parts) and in the car was a L28. After the RB conversion, I looked at the sorry pile of engine parts on the floor and thought better put it back together. Rather than just re-assemble it standard, I thought add a cam, clean up the ports etc and now $5000 later, it's going back together! Bored and stroked to 2.7 liters with the EFI. All I hope is I don't vent the block..

Yeah I thought about it as soon as I posted it - wrap up safely the L24 and save for an L28E Turbo conversion.

Cheers Lurch.

I take it your a young bloke, When you guys talk about turbo's do you think about insurance and what it will be to insure it, Thats if someone will insure you.

Lol turbo. When we go to the track I see turbo cars getting beat on by na all the time. Surely there has to be a reason why the v8 supercars are not turbo? F1? Turn the brown ;)

Re L24 and size you will be surprized how big you can make a P30 block

young to you no doubt.

I am 28 - list of what i have owned will give an indication of why I suggested turbo:

3 Standard R31 Skylines, 3 x Silhouette GTS2's (one I turboed), 1 x HR31 Coupe with an RB25DET, an R32 Turbo, a 300ZX Twin Turbo, a Silvia Turbo, a Galant VR-4 Turbo.  Always been an R31 Skyline fan, but now looking to buy my first Zed.  I am 28 but by no means a young whipper snapper.  I want a weekend car that I can tae out on a cruise, to the occasional track day or just to have a casual drive in when  feel the need on the windy roads of TAS.

I know bugger all about carbies as all above are EFI, so I am doing alot of reading at the moment.

The car I am looking at is the white one and just noticed his name is Richard.  I want to get it looked at obviously - but I have no experience with driving/maintaining/modifying these cars yet so this car would be an ideal start if it's as clean as it sounds to get me going without a project.

definately keep the L24 unmodifed (i 'dislike' those purist snobs, but understand the value of matching numbers)

Drop in a fresh boosted L28 or 2Jz if your heart so desires and enjoy the modifiers bug.

i have to say though, carbies are very refreshing in that it really doesnt take much to get them running, and keep them running.

custom EFI is such a pain in the ass when it goes wrong.

(wanna buy a problem setup? its giving me the shits.)

• 1 month later...