Cold air intake (scoota design)

Scoota G

What i had in mind is to fabricate the next one and then make a fibreglass mould of it but i think it wouldn't be worth it as RB30 rocker covers are cheap and plentiful.

The distance would depend on what manifold you use but a Ebay one i listed earlier in this thread has less clearence than mine. As a real time guide i can fit my knuckles in between the intake and the strut tower.. .. .. this clearence would expand when the air box is turned around.

Once i do the next one i'll post some pics and see what people think (should have a lot cleaner appearance).

Nice intake...would never thought of that use!

Just a quickie, probably best to move to another topic but....Cold Air intakes and SU's (so diff setup to yours), I didn't think they worked particularly well under pressure? (seem to recall reading somewhere that with SU's forcing the air in can be counter productive...but I am no expert.)

The fibreglass mould is an interesting idea.

Huw

• 1 year later...

Hey Scoota,

Now that looks the goods Buddy ! much more original looking, well done.

Are you planning on doing anything with the color of it as in re-apply or maybe polishing the housing to an alloy finish?

Cheers

John

Are you planning on doing anything with the color of it as in re-apply or maybe polishing the housing to an alloy finish?

Hey john thanks, The problem with the cover is it can't be welded easily and has all the holes on the front so polishing wouldn't really work. Going to stick with a color but not sure what yet!

The inside grinding makes it 1 kilo lighter

post-762-144023608958_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023608968_thumb.jpg

Well that's done then. I should have done it this way to start with but i think the principal of custom design is in the practical application and not the theory.

You can't see the bumps now and it doesn't even look like a rocker cover now.

post-762-144023609027_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023609041_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023609053_thumb.jpg

looks cool scoota

Ive got a nissan (r31) here that I might try to fit onto my car as I need to start getting some cold air and a filter over my triples, Got me thinking I could also try a L series rocker cover?

Just wondering if there is an issue with volume of the airbox?

Ash

There is certainly some science in the airbox design, we have proved this on the engine dyno numerous times.

The standard 240z air box on the twin Hitachis makes more power than ram tubes alone (and crappy uni filters) by at least 5% across the range.

My Prince GTB airbox is tapered front to back and on the engine dyno, improves mid range power by around 10% and no hinderance to top end power (when compared with no air box fitted)

For a bit of trivia, the Prince motor company stemmed from Nakajima industries (who made fighter planes during WWII), they still employed a lot of old aircraft engineers who flow bench tested everything  before bolting it onto a car...............hence the airbox design .

I am hoping to get a mold made soon so I can lay these boxes up if Carbon Fibre  .

Alan

post-301-144023609218_thumb.jpg

post-301-144023609238_thumb.jpg