WTB 260z 2+2 Clock or repair

Grace75

• Administrators

If you have a 75+ 260z I don't think you will have the Jeco style clock.

So this guide is probably what you want.

If you have a Jeco clock then there is a few options. I repaired my clock, installed it and then it failed lol..

So the best solution is to replace the guts of a Jeco with the later 280zx Quartz movement. Which I had Ron in the US at Zclocks.com do on a couple of clocks. But finding 280zx analog clocks is getting harder...

• Administrators

Also fyi, I have a few later style 260z clocks and I bought some capacitors and resistors from JayCar to repair them, but I never got around to it. So haven't confirmed I can repair them yet. But might be a good lockdown project for me to revive.

Thanks Gav,

Since I'm on "Covid leave" for 2 weeks I'll have a go at trying to fix the clock myself if I cannot source one locally.

I might also investigate Zclocks.com, I assume I have to send my faulty clock to him so he can do the quartz conversion.

• Administrators

If you need a 260z clock, I may have a spare or 2, but assume they are also all dead! But like anything related to these cars there is several different variations of clocks fitted to these cars depending on your year/month of manufacture.

I believe Ron can repair nearly all the Z clocks, but a couple of years ago he was struggling to find parts and I believe the situation has only got worse as these cars become more valuable, less are parted out, parts thin out. So you would need to send a clock across for repair. For a 260z simply replacing the capacitors and resistors would probably be all that's needed to go them going again. For the early 240z (Jeco) clocks, replacing the inner guts is probably the most sensible option because even if you can fix the old mechanism they seem to fail again relatively quickly. I suspect my test bench had a more consistent 12v than in the car and that was enough to drive the clock, as soon as I put it in the car. Nothing.. lol

Hence the 280zx clocks had a Quartz movement that was fairly reliable and easy enough to swap into the 240z/Jeco housing. But I used to be able to find these cheap and now I can't find them anywhere!

Ron was having a hard time finding a suitable alternative too, but maybe he's onto a better solution now?

https://zclocks.com/

Honestly I can't recommend Ron enough, he's restored several rally clocks for me and always did an excellent job.

Enjoy removing the entire dashboard to change the clock :)

You josh? Why, is that because of bulky in-dash A/C gear or something? :( 

But with my 260Z (non-A/C - smaller heater box) I can access the small gauges from underneath, by removing the central air outlet panel (around the heater controls) and the air distribution register (connects the flexy hoses) immediately behind it. Voila.

Edited by gilltech