Still around but no progress :(

apsilon

Don't mind me, just venting really. Coming up to 2 years of Zed ownership at the end of Oct. Original plan was to be wrapping up the project about then yet I haven't even started. In fact I rearely even get to driver her. Took her out today but that was just to drive to work and back and that was the first time in maybe 3 months.

Works been hard the past couple of years. A year ago I was looking at losing my job during a takeover but I was kept on. Since then however work has been flat out as the new owners invest in the buiness and get things progressing again. That's great both for myself and the business but it's left me with no time to commit to the project and no time has meant no motivation which has made it difficult to put money aside for a project that I can't see happening yet and maybe at all.

So the last few months I've been sitting here thinking about the money I have tied up in the car that I could be using elsewhere, wondering if I've bit off more than I can chew and questioning if I should sell and forget about it. Of course then I look at the beautiful lines of the car or see a pic of one looking like what I know mine could end up like and I decide to carry on.

Anyway just had to drop by and vent a bit. We'll see what time brings.

Of course then I look at the beautiful lines of the car or see a pic of one looking like what I know mine could end up like and I decide to carry on.

You're not alone. Extended projects are tough on people as can be seen on any classifieds. The amount of unfinished projects floating around and sitting in garages is amazing. You seem to appreciate what you have so I hope you finish it and enjoy your dues. Good luck.

• Administrators

Yeah I can see your dilemma, I'm lucky in that I have my mum to look after my Z in her garage while I'm away on holiday. Infact time away from my car has made me more motivated than ever to get things done on it.

I used to waste weekends (well depends on how you look at it), when I could have been working on getting things done. Sometimes it feels as if there's too much work to do on old cars, but I've loved Zeds for the good part of 8-9 years and I can't see myself in anything newer to be honest. I was thinking earlier today an S15 or Mazda RX7 would be a nice daily driver, but they just don't have the styling of the early Z.

I myself enjoy fixing the little things on my car, things that arn't working or something as simple as replacing the carpet makes the car a nicer place to be and isn't too expensive or time consuming.

I suggest writing a list of things you would like to do that arn't that difficult.

Put a time line next to each one or set a date and see how you go, before you know it 10 things will be done and you'll be happy with yourself.

• Moderators

I think if you do sell your zed, in the next couple of months right after you will be scouring the classifieds looking for your next one! My first zed I sold, bought a Z32 auto, sold that then a Z32 manual (both 2 seaters)  then a R33 GTST, sold that and bought another 260Z! (then 240Z!). Once you are bitten, its next to impossible to shake the z addiction off! All those previous cars I owned, I kept comparing them to the zed and none of them had the fun factor or even came close; only exception was the Z32 2 seater manual. That was a great car. For a brief period had that and my 260Z but that didn't last. Expensive keeping 3 cars registered and maintained! I know for a fact, you will kick yourself if you do sell the car, especially if its in great condition. It will be hard to find another one like it.

Same thing happened to me and my xb coupe for sanities sake I got a small personal loan ( when you are a checkout bloke on minimum wage you are only on 15k a year so it was a mega gamble ) so's i had all the money . got all my ducks in a row as it were and took 2 weeks off and ate slept and dreamed reconditioning car. Got it done. That was 15 years ago. Best decision i have ever done ( well that and leaving woolies !  ;D

My advice :

Get everything you need to finish it off quickly ( maybe a loan if you need some parts ) line up a 2/3 week holiday and blitz it. I dont know what else you need to do but knowing that you have everything you need and have the time to do it puts a different spin to a project car.

Good luck and dont sell the car. I know it doesnt seem it but it is in fact a stress relief valve.

I myself enjoy fixing the little things on my car, things that arn't working or something as simple as replacing the carpet makes the car a nicer place to be and isn't too expensive or time consuming.

I suggest writing a list of things you would like to do that arn't that difficult.

Therein lies part of my problem. I don't want to just fix this bit and this bit, I want to do a complete ground up rebuild and driveline swap. There's very little that I could do that that wouldn't be a waste of time and/or money in the long term as I'd end up redoing it.

To do it right IMO (and I've never done it before. Past cars have been a bit at a time upgrade) I need to fully pull it down to a shell. Fix any rust and straighten out the dings. Swap in the new driveline (Was going to go VH41 but it's looking way too dificult to get a manual box bolted up and the engine mounted without chassis mods that would pass an engineer and RTA rules so I'm looking at the easier RB26 swap) so the mods and strengthening and stiffening can all be finished before painting etc. Replace/retrim interior. Rewire all electrics. Put new driveline in again. Upgrade suspension and brakes. All the other little bits and pieces.

A loan isn't a bad idea (well it is but you kow what I mean) but I know I can't get the time ATM. Maybe by Xmas but I also have an 8 week road trip scheduled for around this time next year so need to save as much leave as possible for that. Hopefully once this project is out of the way things will be calmer at work and I'll find a way.

I know I'll hate myself if I sell now. It took 2 months of daily searching to find in the first place so it's unlikely I'll find another easily or in the same condition. Prices have also gone up in the 2 years since I bought her.

I think it's just a case of the tunnel being so long I can't see any light at the end with the added pressure of work being so hard ATM. I won't give up yet.

I think it's just a case of the tunnel being so long I can't see any light at the end with the added pressure of work being so hard ATM. I won't give up yet.

sounds like you need xenon lights :P

if it is a case of needing to do a lot to it like you say, you can still make it happen slowly.

make up a list of things that need doing, but do it in what you would estimate to take about 1.5-2 hours for each section of the larger job, then, scedule time in your week that allows you do get that small part done.

it seems hard to do i know, but people scedule in time during the week to go to the gym, or watch thier favorite shows, ect ect.

you may need to make that time in the evening, after dinner and a bit of a sit down and relax.

i am doing a similar thing, i try to get at least an hour in the shed at night, 2 nights a week, i know its not much, but it does make you feel like you are actually doing something,

tell your partner, its personal stress releif time.

• Administrators

Sounds like its giving you more stress than stress relief. Perhaps it is time to sell and consider looking for an already completed car for sale in a year or two, whenever one shows up.

Although I haven't seen an RB26 powered Z for sale, ever! Might be able to convince someone to part with one if the budget is right.

I myself had a good think about my car and all the things I wanted to do to it. I figured I still had a few years of work to do and I'll keep fixing it, till I'm happy. So for now I wanted to travel and get that out of my system and decided I'd resume the Z upon return.

You can always get another one, its just what you'll be willing to pay for the right car.

Don't sell you'll only regret it later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a ZG Fairlane that I had to sell, needed a bit of work but couldn't see myself getting around to do it, I now wish I never sold it, it was one of the best old school cruisers you could want for.

My 240 hasn't seen the track for nearly 8 yeras, but I won't be selling it, currently only just looking at getting it back together and sorted now.

I also have a Charger that I bought in 2000, was going to be a six week rebuild, but 7 years later it finally got into the shop for the body work and now after another near 12 months will go back to be finished with the help of a loan.

Don't get too disheartened, and always look to what it will be when finished. It doesn't matter how long it takes, just stay with it and it will get finished.

Once it's on the road you will never regret sticking with it to completion.

Buying one already done isn't an option as I know there'll be one and probably several little things that'll annoy me as they're not how I wanted or how I would've done it etc.

mrp69 I'll let you know but don't hold your breath just yet. I don't think I'll be selling.

Just need to get this project at work finished then look at regrouping and tackling this head on.

I think I'll just start collecting the parts I know I'll need for the rebuild. Once the weather warms up I'll look at driving her to work a few days a week as well.

I have a 5 year project at the moment and have just bought a 240Z project.

The way I look at it is......I have spent the money on my cars that is just investment, Selling now I will just loose money......Even if you are not interested in it now, keep it in dry storage for 20 years and work on it then when you have the time......

It sounds like it is drivable JUST ENJOY THE ZED FOR WHAT IT IS NOW.... ;)

Yeah I'm keeping it. I've decided that every time I spend a dollar on something other than necessities I'm going to put the same amount into a savings account for the Zed. That should help with the money side of things.

As for being drivable, she is, That's the only thing that I've done since getting her. Bit of minor work and getting her registered. I am thinking about adding an electric fuel pump. I driver her so infrequently that the fuel in the line evaporates and the mechanical pump needs a lot of engine cranking to draw the fuel back up to the carbs. Hopefully an electirc pump feeding the mechanical one will help with that and give me easier starts. I might then driver her a bit more.

Think I'll go and watch Mull's videos again. They're always inspriational  :)

• 2 weeks later...

What a difference a couple of weeks make. I'm feeling much more positive about this poject now. I still can't do anything for about 6 months as I'm about to buy a new daily driver (current lease is up in 8 weeks and I'm not re leasing but buying new outright. On the upside the new car will be capable of towing the 240Z around to have work/paint done).

I think I may have been approaching this wrong. I initially wanted to do the VH41 swap as I've never own a V8 and at 36 years young this is likely to be my last project car and hence last chance. The RTA rules and regs have thrown that out the window, it's not impossible but too much work and anguish for too little gain IMO. So I naturally turned to an RB swap. Reliability and power, modernise a few other things and I'd have a 240Z like Nissan should made instead of the 350Z (I owned a 350Z when they were first released, sold it as I wanted a sports car).

The 240Z will never be a daily driver for me, just a weekend cruiser and track car so why not just have some fun? I've got time to ponder things before I start but I'm thinking why do an engine swap at all? Why not build up a hot streetable L6? The RB engine, freshen up, box, mods, engineering etc was easily going to run me $10k. That'd build a fine little L series, maybe even a 3.1 stroker. Nice lumpy cam, nothing too crazy, triple carbs, real old school build. Possibly best of all, far less engineering hassle.

My car before the 350Z was an MX-5 with a custom turbo putting out 165 kw at the wheels. The weight was around the same as the 240Z should be and it was a lot of fun. I think similar power should be possible from a built L series?

I've also got a second one of those Jada 1:24 models so I have one on my desk at home and one on my desk here at work now. Serves as a little reminder of what I have waiting to be done.

good to hear. i'm contemplating the same thing about not bothering with an RB conversion and building an L series instead, specially due to the enjoyment which could come from having a car on the road sooner with more money to spend on driving it thanks to petrol prices. i'll be shattered if its at $3 by the time my car is back on the road!

those jada models are awesome, i just bought a 350z one as i thought it might look niceish next to the 240z, but dam its ugly!

Yeah I decided over the weekend, built L series it is. It should allow me to get in on the road and enjoying it sooner. Cost wise there won't be much in it between the RB conversion the way I wanted to do it and the build of the L series.

I don't want to think about fuel prices but as it'll only be odd weekends and trackdays I'll live with the heavy fuel consumption.

The VH41 is certainly possible, and legal, but is made difficult in NSW by the fact you can't change, modify or even reinforce the chassis rails (don't know if chassis rails is really correct for the 240Z unibody but you kow what I mean). That makes mounting a little more difficult. Add to that I couldn't find a manual box that would bolt up. There are places around that claim they can do adaptors etc but my contacts couldn't recommend any of them and I trust their judgement. If it wasn't perfect the shifting would suffer if it worked at all and by that stage you've already made a big investment in the whole thing.

I'd love to do it but really it's too much trouble for too little gain.

... is made difficult in NSW by the fact you can't change, modify or even reinforce the chassis rails ...

As Pauline would say "Please explain!"

I would be interested in the background to this statement and any relevant references you have.  I have just had a set of full-length, deeper and heavier-gauge rails made up (copies of the US Bad Dog design) and was planning to install them next week.

http://www.baddogparts.com/

I was planning on doing the same thing until I spent an hour going over plans and rules with an engineer. I suggest you do the same. If you remove and replace the rails as you're planning to do it can no longer be registered as a production car and becomes classified as an individually constructed vehicle (ICV) IIRC. Makes the engineering process much harder. You can repair the rails but you can not make any changes to the design and repairs must involve the minimal amount of work possible to facilitate the repair.

As I said, speak to an engineer. John at Consulmotive is fantastic, highly recommend him.

EDIT: I should just add I was looking at not only replacing the under body rails but also the rails in the engine bay. I still suggest speaking to an engineer asap.

To be honest it's one of those things that if it looks factory, you're unlikely to get picked up on it. The underbody rails in particular shouldn't attract attention but if you're doing an engine swap and other mods all at the same time, the engineer will obviously pknow about it.

There are some dodgy ones around that'll let it go but there was a crack down on engineers not long back and several lost their tickets which to my understanding also means any certificates they'd issued were also invalidated. It comes down to the risk you're willing to accept. My old MX-5 didn't have an engineers certificate for any of it and I never had any trouble in the 9 years I had it but that was the risk I took. If I had been picked up (and the second owner after I sold it was, rego was cancelled and the car flagged as unregisterable) I would've been screwed.

.. If you remove and replace the rails as you're planning to do it can no longer be registered as a production car and becomes classified as an individually constructed vehicle (ICV) IIRC...

I contacted the RTA today and was advised that there is ... how shall I put this ... 'a significant degree of inexactitude' in this statement.

PS. Thanks for the sleepless night!

PPS. I note your edit and I actually do appreciate your post, it made me double check the situation.

OK that's good. I'm only going on the information from my engineer, I'm by no means an expert (which is why I'm working with one). Perhaps it's the complete rail replacement inc those in the engine bay that pushes it over the edge. Something for me to ask about next time I see him but that's unlikely to be until next year.

Oh and having dealt with the RTA a lot over the past 20 years, make sure you got that in writing from them in case you need it in the future.

EDIT: Just a thought but you did tell them the type of vehicle and stress that under their classifications they'd refer to it as a unibody didn't you?