Looking for gearbox for '71 240z

SiftyZ

• Administrators

Do you want a 71a or 71b? 71b will require a bent gear lever to work with the further back gearbox hole. A 71a will fit as intended but is costly to rebuild now that parts are getting hard to find and the "monkey motion" or rifle bolt shifter required machine work repair to fix slop.

There was a 71a box on eBay for an S30z. At around $700. But no driveshaft to suit (71a has a flange style shaft), 71b has a slip in yoke.

• Administrators

If you have the early console it would have come with a 71a box from factory. Later boxes can work, but will require some modifications to fit.

You can also have a 71b/c hybrid box made. (This is what I did on my 72 240z) using 260z (71b) close ratios.

• Administrators

As far as I'm aware parts are readily available for 71B and C boxes. It's the 71a's that are harder to source for, but not impossible (just more expensive). They are quite a different gearbox and many owners have swapped them out over the years for later boxes due to difficulty obtaining parts. Of course with originality adding value to these cars 71a boxes are now more desired, but finding them is getting harder.

3 hours ago, gav240z said:

As far as I'm aware parts are readily available for 71B and C boxes. It's the 71a's that are harder to source for, but not impossible (just more expensive). They are quite a different gearbox and many owners have swapped them out over the years for later boxes due to difficulty obtaining parts. Of course with originality adding value to these cars 71a boxes are now more desired, but finding them is getting harder.

Thats where i went wrong. It has a sketchy 2nd and 3rd so iwas having it rebuilt before its booking for suspension and carbs but ive found out its stuffed and their parts aren't readily available for the '71. i dont mind chasing other options im planning on an stage 4 datsun spirit SPL build engine so im not concerned about keeping it stock.

In fact ive just noticed the $4000 webers ive had built for it where its about to get tuned aren't recommended for the stage 4, guess research is key eh!

You should just ring Les at LCR in Warragul. He would be able to sort out your gearbox and build you an engine at the same time. It would work out a lower cost and better performance option than getting a motor from the USA. At nearly $17k Australian plus freight for a Stage 4 build from Sprint you would get a very nice jigger from Les. So many benefits to dealing with a local Australian company for items like a modified engine rather than off shore.

Jeff

If you are not concerned about keeping it stock. Best gearbox to use is a 71C from the S13 you will need 71B bell housing and small modification 

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/240SX5spd/transmission.htm

Agree with Jeff about local builder.

If you are in Vic, go with LCR (Les export quite a number of his build to the US)

In NSW MIA engines

• Administrators
19 hours ago, SiftyZ said:

Thats where i went wrong. It has a sketchy 2nd and 3rd so iwas having it rebuilt before its booking for suspension and carbs but ive found out its stuffed and their parts aren't readily available for the '71. i dont mind chasing other options im planning on an stage 4 datsun spirit SPL build engine so im not concerned about keeping it stock.

In fact ive just noticed the $4000 webers ive had built for it where its about to get tuned aren't recommended for the stage 4, guess research is key eh!

You can save yourself a lot of time hassle and money by asking the right people the right questions. Yes.. :D

• 2 weeks later...