260Z Cyl Head Types

Groundhog

Yes, as dat2Kman says, there should be (embossed ie. raised letters) 'Nissan Japan E88', if that's what you have.

Both my early 260Z engines have E88s.

Later 260Zs had the N42.

But there are also N47, P79, P90 & several others, off 280ZX or Skyline or whatever motors, which one could perhaps have if the engine has been played around with by a PO.

Edited by gilltech

• Administrators

Later 260Zs had the N42.

Are you sure about this? As far as I'm aware all L26's had an E88 head fitted. N42 was introduced with the L28. However I'm not always right about later 260z's that's for sure.

Engine heads are discussed here:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/4286-overview-of-l6-engine-heads/

Are you sure about this? As far as I'm aware all L26's had an E88 head fitted.

Well that's I had always understood, & that article you linked to backs that up:

The N42 head came on the later 260z.

as does the chart which indicates the N42 from 1975 (although I'd thought later than that).

Maybe some markets got the N42 & others didn't (Aus?) depending on emissions requirements or something. The American market only had the 260 for one year then went to the 280, hence your thoughts perhaps about the N42. Good article thankyou with a lot of interesting details.

At the end of the day the OP will find what he finds! No doubt lots of Zeds would have had transplanted heads by now, either in a quest for more performance or because the original got beyond rebuilding so the rebuilder had to find a substitute.

Edited by gilltech

• Administrators

aus L26's only got the E88 at least 260z did, mines Dec 1977 and a mate of mines is jan 1978 both have E88 heads

This confirms what I suspect also. I'd be surprised if our L26's got the N42. Although North American market 280z's would have received later heads, but they also had L28's.

• Moderators

aus L26's only got the E88 at least 260z did, mines Dec 1977 and a mate of mines is jan 1978 both have E88 heads

My May 77 model also had an E88