Light weight, Japan-style 240Z

BenZed

Just goes to show how potent the old Z is on a track.

Their definately fun because their such a challenge to drive on the track. But I wouldn't call them 'potent' because their no distinticed advantanges for tracking a S30 platform over other later platforms. If anything the torsional flex is quite significant in the old chassis.

just thought i'd seperate the 'cool' factor from the 'reality' aspects..........hehehhe.

;D.

Their definately fun because their such a challenge to drive on the track. But I wouldn't call them 'potent' because their no distinticed advantanges for tracking a S30 platform over other later platforms. If anything the torsional flex is quite significant in the old chassis.

just thought i'd seperate the 'cool' factor from the 'reality' aspects..........hehehhe.

;D.

They do have an advantage over lots of other chassis in their weight distribution.  They put the power to the ground exceptionally well.  As for chassis flex, nothing a cage doesn't fix  ;D

I'd love to take my Turbo Territory around that track and see what it would do. 1.35 for a Landcruiser is pretty good if that time is correct. Plenty of Zeds going slower than that around Sandown.

I'd love to take my Turbo Territory around that track and see what it would do. 1.35 for a Landcruiser is pretty good if that time is correct. Plenty of Zeds going slower than that around Sandown.

That Landy had 400kW+ at the wheels and Porsche brakes, its best time was a 1:29. Might want to turn the boost up on the Territory  ;)

i know your going to hate this questions but i have to ask Ben.

are you going to wake some flares on your beast?  :P

I have thought about it, but I spent so much time fixing the rear guards I really don't want to drill holes in them. Besides, the Watanabes fit really well now. Ask me again in a year and I might have a different answer though...

post-853-144023490403_thumb.jpg

Ha Ha yeah your right Ben. If that thing had 400klw and those brakes then the Territory wouldn't have a hope. 1.29 is pretty darn good especially when you look at the tyres he is running. Good on him. I am almost sold on there AWD's now. Well a performance one anyway.

Hi Benzed,

Just wondering what kind of preparation you do on baremetal sections before you paint them. The problem I have is that after I paint metal areas I have repaired they rust again after about 2 years. Do you use any kind of rust inhibiting paint or other treatments before you spray on the final coat? Thanks. :)

gday ben

i was wondering what the price tag on the stroker crank alone

also your using the same manafold as the carb with injectors fitted and

ports matched right ?

SWR can supply a crank, prices vary a bit. The injectors are mounted in the throttle bodies, so the OER manifold can be used for carbs too.

gday ben

i was wondering the price tag on the stroker crank

also is have you ponder the idea of a duel injector setup

with plenum

props on the Z though its good to see em still powering round

A plenum defeats the purpose of 6-throttles, might as well use one big one.

Dual injectors per cylinder? Not much point when single injectors can be sourced to support 1000hp.

Could you post a few pics of your 12 camping heater set-up, you have on your front demisters?

This could be a cheap fast fix for my current project.

• 7 months later...

Wow, what an extremely impressive engine. 113 horsepower per litre at only 6700rpm. For a two valve engine designed in the sixties this is phenomenal.

It is interesting to compare some other 2 valve engines from race and rally cars of the same era.

Lancia Stratos - 107hp/l @7800rpm (Group 4 rally car)

Porsche 911sc - 96hp/l @7600rpm (Group 4 rally car)

Ferrari 308gtb - 103hp/l @8000rpm (Group 4 rally car)

Datsun 160J    - 95hp/l @7600rpm (Group 4 rally car)

Repco Brabham 740 - 115hp/l @8200rpm (1967 F1 engine)

Outperforming the nissan works team by nearly 20hp/l at almost 1000 revs less...

Wow, what an extremely impressive engine. 113 horsepower per litre at only 6700rpm. For a two valve engine designed in the sixties this is phenomenal.

It is interesting to compare some other 2 valve engines from race and rally cars of the same era.

Lancia Stratos - 107hp/l @7800rpm (Group 4 rally car)

Porsche 911sc - 96hp/l @7600rpm (Group 4 rally car)

Ferrari 308gtb - 103hp/l @8000rpm (Group 4 rally car)

Datsun 160J    - 95hp/l @7600rpm (Group 4 rally car)

Repco Brabham 740 - 115hp/l @8200rpm (1967 F1 engine)

Outperforming the nissan works team by nearly 20hp/l at almost 1000 revs less...

is it me or theres sarcasm in this post?........hehehhehe  ;D.........

Yes, very interesting numbers.

If you use the 1/4 mile exit speed (104 MPH) and car weight (2300 lb) and plug them into the Moroso power speed calculator you get a power figure of 200HP.

Which I think is closer to the real value. 

Yes, very interesting numbers.

If you use the 1/4 mile exit speed (104 MPH) and car weight (2300 lb) and plug them into the Moroso power speed calculator you get a power figure of 200HP.

Which I think is closer to the real value.   

For comparison I've got a 3.1L stroker with 6 throttle body injection and am making 165RWKW's at about 6500rpm. That figures taken from EFI Dynamics during tuning on a Dyno Dynamics dyno. The dyno wasn't in 'shoot out mode' which usually reads higher then normal. I'm running mixer style headers rather then tuned length to give better low down torque. I have a 3.7 dif ratio and the car will accelerate from 50km\h in fifth on very steep uphill roads. The car really does come on hard from around 3500-4000rpm. I'm running a 74 degree cam. Having said that my engine is very wel spec'd out and I've spent a lot of time collecting parts for it from all over the world. Having had otherfast cars like STi's and things the 165RWKW's feels very accurate. When I saw Ben's 200RWKW figure I was fairly suprised, even given that his running 3.2L and tuned length headers. To achieve 200RWKW I would have thought it would need something like a 78 degree cam and to make that power at about 8000rpm. I guess it depends on what dyno you run on and what calibration factors you have dialed in but with 200RWKW comming on at 4000rpm I would think it would be faster then a 12.8 quater mile. For comparison my friends r33 gtst ran a 13 flat with a catback exhaust, front mount, 12psi boost off a stock turbo, cusco lsd, rock solid drift suspension and bald stock tyres. I'll have to take my Z for a quater mile pass soon to compare.

200RWKW is doable :) my last 240z 3.2l had 186RWKW and I know of 3.0 with more ;) not bad for triple carb cars either, with no EFI in sight or large cam's either I might add.

That's because you guys in NZ  do dyno runs on sheep power not horse power!!! LOL

Just to add to this, when I first fitted the RB26 it made 210 rwkW running 15 pound boost.

The car did a 11.8 second 1/4 mile at 118 MPH, and it weighed about 1200Kg with driver.

So I would expect Bens car to be a little quicker given the lower weight.