exhaust

Huw

hey

sometime in the next fortnight (hopefully) I'm going to need get a 2.5" exhaust system for my Z.

was just wondering whether anyone knew a good (pref. affordable too) exhaust shop? b/c i want the system to be really close on the underside of the car (seem some that were hanging down like dogs ......)

what price do you reckon i'll be looking at?

cheers

Huw

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

If your talking about Trufit on Warrigal Road don't bother. They are useless I've had them do work on two of my cars and they never get it right. There slack they are pathetic lol....

My 2 cents. :roll:

• 4 months later...

Well, exhaust finally all organised...

took it down this morning (hehe, 7am no muffler=fun :-) )

just picked it up about an hour ago...sounds great 2.5" straight through muffler and resonator.

anyway, to the point.

I got it done at Exhaust City, on cnr of Reserve and Park rd, Cheltenham(don't know number). and he did a great job.

only a couple more things to do and I'm on the road!

Huw

• 11 months later...

Old post but thought id add, i picked my car up today from a place called Daalder exhausts on Station street in Box hill. i had the rear end of the exhaust redone, 2 hotdogs and muffler and new piping and installation, came to $293 and they threw the piping in for free as they knew i was poor and wanted it done cheap and they orignaly told me 300 bucks anyway.

Im fairly happy with it, sits up there nice and close and out of the way. THe only thing i dont love is the sound, I now have a bit of one of those constant bassy hums. But it still sound really untamed and muscle carish so i like it on a whole i think.

anyway id recommend em.

I've got a receipt that says an exhaust from Stewart Wilkins costed $400.....not sure if it was only headers though. Looks hell nice. But his in sydney. In the victoria british booklet it said that that design gains 6hp and we know how reliable exhaust power gain estimates are :wink: :lol:

• 3 years later...

Well to revive my old topic.....

I am now looking to take my exhaust down a couple of sizes and looking for a workshop around Hampton/Sandringham/Moorabin way (quality more important than being near to home).

I am looking at putting a 2" exhaust on to a 2.4L engine with headers, this would include both a muffler and resonator on the line. I would like it to be bent properly in a Mandrel press (I can get for $300 local press bent).

I have been told by Daniel that I should be able to find somewhere for around the 3-400 mark....and that he can do it right for the zed for a fair bit more (as it will take him all day and need to get parts in).

Does anyone have a workshop they know/trust?

Huw

I would highly recommend PowerPlay Automitive (previously Datrally) 10 Charlton Avenue Cheltenham ph 95847373 (Mike or Simon). They can be on the expensive side but their quality is the very best.

• Moderators

If you want to buy your own mufflersc / resonators, I highly recommend you go to "SuperCat Mufflers" in Dandenong. Bring cash only as they are a wholesaler. You can get your mufflers for a 1/4 of the price. I bought 2 large 2" resonators and 2 2" hotdogs for $80 all up new. You just have to know what you want before you go.

Looking for someone to do the whole job....I don't have the space in the shed or a good enough welder to do the job myself.....shed full with Austin 7 and another 240...

Anyway, have called round a couple of places, most of them are out...

Spoke to Daalder exhausts in Box hill (bit of a trip but I am out there for other things later in the week). He suggested just putting a smaller muffler on (back pressure + Silence increased).

I erring on side of ripping the whole lot off, as the initial system was 2.5" and crush bent....was thinking of getting best can (for the least I can....not a good mix!). Only about a $100 buck difference.

Any additional shop suggestions?

Any thoughts on the muffler suggestion?

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about getting a mandrel bent exhaust, for a road car the difference is negligible in power for the extra cost.

The only system I have that is mandrel bent is on the Z and that is beacause it is a 3" system and has one 90 degree bend for the side exit.

All the other cars have the more usual and cheaper press bends.

• 2 weeks later...

Well all done now.....around $250 out in the country (Leongatha) by a friend's garage....

son raises the v8 supercars and in the mini challenge and they seemed to know their cars.

Much more liveable.....and seems to go better to (that may be self justification for blowing the money but...)

Huw