zzzzed Posted August 4, 2014 Posted August 4, 2014 It's time to think about my suspension for the track car. First off whit I already have Willwood brakes front r31 rear. King springs with cheep shocks. I can't afford to buy it all at once so want to get what I can when I can What would give me the most gain first up? Coil overs and good shocks or adjustable control arms Any advice on where to start would be good. Cheers Mick Quote
zzzzed Posted August 4, 2014 Author Posted August 4, 2014 I don't have one. Will build it over time as I can afford it Quote
d3c0y Posted August 4, 2014 Posted August 4, 2014 Well it's kind of a how long is a piece of string question at this point. I take it you dont want an answer that is buy good struts, then good tyres then check your alignment and get adjustable stuff etc. MCA do a proper coilover setup using your existing struts for $2700. As you know, you can section the struts and use a weld on kit, get konis get them re valved etc, etc. If you want to do this i dont see the point in buying stock Konis, putting them in and then pulling it all out again later to section, re-valve change springs etc? Quote
RLY240 Posted August 4, 2014 Posted August 4, 2014 Hi Mick, it's a tough decision to make but tyres will make the biggest improvement but of course they are an ongoing expense. I think the most important issue is set-up and alignment so would argue this should be the first step, either adjustable lower arms front and rear or standard ones modified to change camber/castor. A decent geometry all round will also help you maximise those new semi's too. Then springs and shocks. Then more horsepower.... Roger Quote
Riceburner Posted August 4, 2014 Posted August 4, 2014 I found a wider front track was a decent improvement for me aside from the other things mentioned. I used offset roll centre spacers instead of adj control arms which allowed me to keep the tie rods at the standard length. I think a set of adjustable sway bars would be fun to experiment with at the track too. I'm sure the experts will have a much better idea though. Quote
zzzzed Posted August 4, 2014 Author Posted August 4, 2014 Last time I had it on the track it was running an rb20det and cheep Chinese road tires Needles to say I was barreling traction at both ends of the car. My next race mete will be in October and I will Be running a rb25det and semi slicks. I guess I will wait and see how it feels and work out where I need to go from there. Before I do any thing though I will Be fitting a roll cage for safety and to stiffen things up a bit. Quote
HKSZ Posted August 4, 2014 Posted August 4, 2014 Get some XF falcon caster rods, easy to mod and give you more caster for faster turn in on corners. Quote
zzzzed Posted August 4, 2014 Author Posted August 4, 2014 Well it's kind of a how long is a piece of string question at this point. I take it you dont want an answer that is buy good struts, then good tyres then check your alignment and get adjustable stuff etc. MCA do a proper coilover setup using your existing struts for $2700. As you know, you can section the struts and use a weld on kit, get konis get them re valved etc, etc. If you want to do this i dont see the point in buying stock Konis, putting them in and then pulling it all out again later to section, re-valve change springs etc? When I upgrade my struts I will do it right the first time so as you say there is no double handeling. At he moment just trying to work out weather I should go control arms or struts first. At this stage it looks as though control arms might be the go. Quote
tir33d Posted August 4, 2014 Posted August 4, 2014 Opinion for what its worth is that you are no where. Your new semi slicks when hot are going to expose massive weakness in your set up. Stronger springs, better shocks, bigger sway bar. Yes camber is king, but there are other bits. Coilovers are good if set up correctly. Costly, but adjustable. Whether we are smart enough to get the right adjustment is another question. Just make sure they are positive steps - don't do it cheap to just get it done. Quote
zzzzed Posted August 4, 2014 Author Posted August 4, 2014 Most of the stuff will more than likely be arazona z car because the Aussie rep is not far from me. Quote
luvemfast Posted August 4, 2014 Posted August 4, 2014 Camber may be king, but....... Just remember the saying "Caster is faster" Quote
d3c0y Posted August 5, 2014 Posted August 5, 2014 To me if you have crappy shocks and normal springs then coilover conversion is going to yield the most noticeable improvement, especially running big HP. You need to keep those tyres planted and reduce the unloading of the tyres. Obviously all of it needs addressing for a track car at some point. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.