Cruise to Marysville Sun 27th March

C.A.R.

This is being organized by the AusRotary club:

http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=201202

Details copied from AusRotaryare:

Before the 2009 bushfires, Marysville was a popular destination for car cruises. It is a beautiful location with some great photo opps, and the drive includes the Black Spur which is a great bit of road.

Since the fires, redevelopment has been slow, and many tourists have stayed away because they didn’t want to get in the way.

I contacted a Marysville community email address asking whether they would be keen for us to come to town and got a couple of very quick and enthusiastic replies which I have added to the end of this post.

So who would be interested in a cruise from Bunnings in Bayswater via Coldstream on the way there and Yarra Glen on the way back, to Healesville for a fuel stop, then over the Black spur to Marysville?

I would encourage you to buy lunch in town at the bakery or café, then meet at Gallipoli Park (the footy ground) for lunch. Christine Adams, the president of the local tourism association is keen to have a chat to us as a group about what has happened since the fires so it would be educational too. Spending money in the town is the best way to help the recovery process.

Date is Sunday 27th March - my 8 year old son virtually begged me to organise this one.

If you are interested let me know.

Official Route (note we are starting at Bunnings Bayswater not Anaconda - the carpark is bigger).

Google Maps does not seem to recognise the Maroondah Highway past Dame Nellie Melba's house, and wants to go towards Yarra Glen the cut across St Huberts Road. We may as well follow that route anyway.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Canterbury+Rd&daddr=-37.804039,145.3559439+to:Anderson+St+to:Maroondah+Hwy+to:-37.6945061,145.405581+to:123+Maroondah+Highway,+Healesville+VIC+3777+Sanctuary+Service+Station+to:Gallipoli+Park,+Marysville,+Victoria+to:Healesville,+Victoria+to:Yarra+Glen,+Victoria+to:lilydale+lake+lilydale+vic&geocode=FWjHvv0dqMmoCA%3BFfknv_0dp_SpCCkLhmzUnC_WajEwm_HrdFYEEw%3BFfLcv_0d4O-pCA%3BFcldwP0dMU2qCA%3BFdbTwP0djbaqCCkhOYLTWCvWajFwkwbtdFYEEw%3BFZ1lwf0drU-sCCGFerCKN7ycpw%3BFQ6aw_0dG_yvCCEAt0IUpXkFDw%3BFbtywf0dzmmsCCn9VAAwtisoazHw5owhdVYEBQ%3BFYllwf0d9j2qCCmTIylJO9PXajGAz4whdVYEBQ%3BFSK3v_0dePCpCCEIKcUuqBfhpw&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=1,2&mrsp=3&sz=19&via=1,4&sll=-37.72468,145.37862&sspn=0.001044,0.002401&ie=UTF8&ll=-37.723619,145.37884&spn=0.001044,0.002401&t=h&z=10

Meeting Times & Places (all approximate)

9.30 for 10.00 departure - Penninsula Pre-Cruise Meet - Anaconda Frankston

Note - Route will be via Eastlink - you will need a tag or pass

10.00 for 10.30 departure - Bunnings Bayswater, Canterbury Road Bayswater (front part of carpark is usually empty)

11.15 - 11.30 - Fuel Stop - Healesville Shell

12.30 - Lunch from Bakery or takeaway in old car museum

12.30 - 13.00 - Take your lunch to Gallipoli Park for talk with Tourism Association president Christine Adams

13.00 - 14.00 - picnic lunch, show & shine at Gallipoli Park or visit to Steavensons Falls (optional)

14.00 - 16.00 - return to Lilydale Lake

It will be a full day...

• Administrators

Hey guys,

I would love to be there, but unfortunately that's not possible. However I think it could be a really good opportunity to get some early rotaries and zeds together. Would definitely make for some good photos and could get the attention of many websites that cater to early Japanese cars (i.e http://www.motormavens.com/,  http://speedhunters.com/ etc..).

Which in turn could give the club more exposure and it's for a good cause too!

• 3 weeks later...