New Zed Buyer, wants to buy and modify a Zed

yeah, I was in contact with that seller, was about to buy it but fell apart at the last second. The body had rust bubbling up, there was big cracks, gaffer tape on the body, some things weren't as advertised, and when at the last moment he put up the price, told me he had only owned it for 5 months, and told me it was rusted through in the footwell I got a bit too concerned, followed my gut and pulled out. If was in the same state and I could see it easily, might have happened, but too much uncertainty.

Edit: Also needed new rubber (was leaky), cracked dash and console, etc. Add in the additional costs of flights up to check it, transporting it down, vic rwc, and fixing all the problems, would be cheaper to buy one of the Z's in Vic in immaculate condition that have been very well loved and taken care of, and do the changes I want.

yep, that list would put me off too.

If you don't want to build your own from Dmitri's, see if Nacks has still got the one listed in the classifieds here:    http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,8419.0.html 

It doesn't have the flares or the fender mirrors etc, but looks a pretty strong car to me, and you can add them later so it becomes yours..

This would be around a $ 20 to 25000 car then.

What $ do you have ready. To go for close to what you are wanting?

Changed my mind about 2+2. Am now pretty much exclusively looking for a 2 seater. I figured I am going to have the car for a long time so I might as well pay the extra to get exactly what I want. Am willing to pay up to 19k depending on the condition and modifications. Maybe will pay a little more if I can find a close to exact fit and the condition is great. Would prefer a much loved car from a Z enthusiast than a rusted out project car. Here's what I'm looking for.

No or only very minor Rust

Roadworthy and Mechanically sound

Engine - running well, upgrades prefered

Adjustable coilovers

Bolt on Flares (preferably cut underneath)

Original Interior or bucket seats, black leather upholstery

BRE spoiler

Airdam - MSA type 1

Fender mirrors

9-10 inch wheels

Obviously won't get anything exactly like this but the closer the better. Let me know by PM or response to this thread if you are aware of anything out there that might grab me.

Cheers!

yep, that list would put me off too.

If you don't want to build your own from Dmitri's, see if Nacks has still got the one listed in the classifieds here:    http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,8419.0.html 

It doesn't have the flares or the fender mirrors etc, but looks a pretty strong car to me, and you can add them later so it becomes yours..

Yep, going to go see that one on the weekend, looks pretty good, my gf likes it, she said "That one's good, it doesn't look like if i got into I would be about to get into a car crash". I guess she doesn't like the 70's interior look.

Go have a look at the one Dimitri is selling, then you can build it the way you want it.

Which one is Dimitri's?

Edit: Found it. Would prefer something in resonably good condition to start with.

This would be around a $ 20 to 25000 car then.

What $ do you have ready. To go for close to what you are wanting?

Maybe a $20 -25 by the time i'm done with everything I want to do, only have 19k to play with atm with the possibility of borrowing only if it is very close to what I want and the asking price is reasonable.

Its the old 80/20 rule.....80% of the zeds are owned by 20% of the enthusiasts...Just look at the list of cars in people's profiles :)    So just find someone who's wife has had enough and start bugging the heck out of them.

• Administrators

yeah, I was in contact with that seller, was about to buy it but fell apart at the last second. The body had rust bubbling up, there was big cracks, gaffer tape on the body, some things weren't as advertised, and when at the last moment he put up the price, told me he had only owned it for 5 months, and told me it was rusted through in the footwell I got a bit too concerned, followed my gut and pulled out. If was in the same state and I could see it easily, might have happened, but too much uncertainty.

Edit: Also needed new rubber (was leaky), cracked dash and console, etc. Add in the additional costs of flights up to check it, transporting it down, vic rwc, and fixing all the problems, would be cheaper to buy one of the Z's in Vic in immaculate condition that have been very well loved and taken care of, and do the changes I want.

I always trust gut decisions now from past experience. I think you made the right choice and a better car is out there.

To be honest 19K is a very reasonable budget and if you really really want a top notch car you will probably be looking for 6 months to a year. I know that seems a long time right now, but you'll get the best feel for the market that way and what is and is not a good deal. There have been a few really nice cars come up in the last couple of years. Even I've been tempted to buy, but I forget the fun part (for me at least) is the satisfaction in building / fixing something up. So buying something that's already there would on the surface be nice, but I think I would miss the process.

Guess the point I'm making is, wait, wait and wait. A good car will come up because someone is forced to sell. To buy a house, to stop the wife nagging, because they think they would like a change (only later to regret it hehe) and you'll know it's the right car because you've seen all the crap out there and know this is a special unique snowflake lol.

Just keep an eye on this website, carsales.com.au and ebay.com.au and you should pretty much see all of the cars that come onto the market.

I know it might seem backwards but I've seen some good cars in the UK and they tend to max out (2 seaters) around 10K pound.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2970128.htm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DATSUN-240Z-/270770325330?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f0b2b4752#ht_1327wt_1141

I've seen a few really good looking well kept cars go for less than 10K mainly because you can get cars like the E-type JAG for around 15K.

UK has strict MOT laws so many of the cars are well kept garage queens.

Then again the expense of exporting might not be worth it?

So if you are in a rush looking abroad perhaps, but if not just wait and be patient you may even save a bit more cash (up your budget) and be able to get a real gem.

Hey Saxon, maybe you should check out some of the members cars you like on this site, you never know who may contemplate selling, it is after all a year to expect the unexpected. Just a thought....Lynton 8)