76' 260 2+2 Journal

Hi there,

Have finally got moving on the Zedder after a dozen or so years ownership. A few bits have gone astray over the years which I'm not only replacing but improving upon wherever possible. Other than losing bits I have done a few small mechanical things over the years such as replace her timing chain, stem seals, fitted extractors , etc.

I'll piss about with mechanicals after I get the body and interior right is the plan. And I thought I might keep a journal on here, seeing the site is a great resource and has already helped me find a restorable rear bar- Thanks!

On the bar- I'll be removing all the chrome, and brackets, repair the sections, reweld the brackets back on, rechrome it, and replace the rubbers, the front bar is in A1 condition structurally but will need a rechrome so might as well dump that in the vat too.

The body work isn't bad for the age and rust proness of the Datsuns, always garaged since with me, there were holes in the sills when I got her which I patched up, and a few other places, such as R/H door skin, L/H door skin, and a little crack in the L/H rear quarter, the rear panel has had a shunt and been bogged quite thick which I'll remedy while the backs apart.

The main areas of the interior that need repair are the dash

IMG_3815.jpg

the door trims

IMG_3813.jpg

some of the rubber, and a few other small details.

The previous owner had screwed the dash mat over the dash using about two dozen screws, after I repair thee dash I might replace the dash mat and perhaps stick it down with some double sided velcro?

I don't want to paint everything black which seems to be the fasion, but keep the door trims that beige colour. I'm just in the process of repairing the door tirms, armrests, and a few other bits  and pieces.

Also going to fix up the zx alloys which are 14", a size I like, and I think look really good.

Those door trims are a bit difficult to repair by plastic welding and being beige the UV kills their longevity, if you get the opportunity try and pick up some excellent black trims and color vinyl paint match back to beige. Other than that Rev supplies trims on this forum.  Lynton 8)

Cheers all for the input,

Have been stripping the Zedder down here and there when I get a spare moment or two.

Its about half stripped. The LH quarter has a fair bit of filler and repair that was drilled to pull the panel out. There's some holes in the hatch panel, and sill areas which can be replaced. Other than that its fairly clean....so far.

Sunroof's out, RH gaurd's off, looking foward to getting it totally stripped right down this weekend and getting a total assessment on the body.

post-2019-144023608312_thumb.jpg

post-2019-144023608315_thumb.jpg

post-2019-144023608318_thumb.jpg

post-2019-144023608324_thumb.jpg

Good to see another 2+2 receiving some love.  :)

Have you thought about what you're doing with the sunroof? Are you going to chase a new roof, or are you keeping it?

Cheers.

You just need a generous club member to donate a roof skin to you and that will help you make the decision. It defiantly helped me.

Long live the Bus.

Good to see another 2+2 receiving some love.  :)

Have you thought about what you're doing with the sunroof? Are you going to chase a new roof, or are you keeping it?

Cheers.

You just need a generous club member to donate a roof skin to you and that will help you make the decision. It defiantly helped me.

Long live the Bus.

I was thinking an electric sunroof, but nah,.......... I like the original. I'll paint the rails up nicely and replace the rusty fasteners. Other than that I suppose I'll just urethane her in after the paint.

sill.jpg

wheelwell.jpg

lhdoorrust.jpg

Still stripping her down. Basically just the dash, front windscreen, and console to go, possibly engine if the bay will be resprayed if the colour is changed.

So far main rust repairs are: weld piece in for LH wheel arch repair, repair LH 1/4, repair spare wheel well, repair or replace hatch panel, replace RH sill, repair L and RH gaurds, repair/ or hopefully (especially with the LH one) replace L and RH door skins. And repair area around back seat windows where the rubber slots in. I'm expecting to unveil a little more before I'm done, and there's a few other little bits I haven't mentioned, but it is pretty solid compared to what it could be like which is good.

I'm aiming for the body to be done and ready for paint by the end of April.

• 10 years later...

Removing an an old repair for made at some stage before I bought it 25 years ago to make way for a new repair.... a new "superior" repair! 

image.png.50a649171746357ffc6c1cd932a20c0b.png

Bit of rust there but cut it all out now and patching new sections in. Fortunately lots of healthy metal too... and in the right spots.

rear lower quarter patch.jpg

I've replaced the right hand sill/ rocker panel and replaced a rusted out section behind the right guard with a section I made complete with new threaded parts to screw the bottom of the guard into. That parts 95% done too so might get some pics of that up at some point as well. Nice to be able to take my time with repairs.

Edited by RunawaySloth