Coxy's 260Z 2+2

Coxy

finally got to pick up my zed tuesday last week, so heres a bit of a run down of the history and what has happened so far!

(taken from my intro thread before i saw the car)

The story goes that it belongs to my best mates girlfriends uncle. It is a 260z 2+2, 5 speed that was last rego'd in SA god knows how many years ago before it was taken across the border last year where began to be restored. The L26 was shagged so an L24 was installed, the car was rewired, new tyres fitted and other odds and ends to get it ready for road worthy. He decided to sell before it got a rwc so upon hearing the price I called dibs.

The aim for the car is to do a pretty nice job or a restoration over a couple years. I want to keep the traditional '70's styling but upgrade suspension, brakes, lights and performance. Coilovers and bigger brakes will be first followed by body work (rust removed, guards cut and flares fitted), respray, wheels, then RB20DET most likely.

(as of today having had the car for a week)

last tuesday i got the call to say that the car had arrived at the depot so i left work early and ducked upto motor reg to grab some plates and then i went to pick up the car! it was different to what i was expecting to say the least lol. first thing that struck me whas that it was using functional bonnet pins (later found out that the home made air filter was stopping the bonnet from closing properly...). it also has "nissan" stenicled on the bonnet and "260z" stenciled on the hatch in black. riiight....

interior inspection found that the ignition had been relocated to the home made center console where a "start" button had also been wired up. there is a digital voltmeter in one of the top pods, and a digital temperature gauge with other functions by the radio. there are switches galore, most of which i have no idea what they do.

also found that the L24 in it is a single carb version that has a leak right onto my extractors  >:( after a week i found a blanket in the back that was wrapped around another intake manifold with twin carbs on it so that may go on eventually. the car was running terribley, flat spots all the way upto about 3000rpm then it would kind of run ok. it was using heaps of fuel and running real rich. i picked up a second hand carby and a rebuild kit and rebuilt the carby in hope of that fixing the problem. unfortunately it runs worse than before now... i picked up some new plugs today as the current ones are black as the ace of spades, so im *hoping* that will be the cause of the problem. other than that i dont really know what to do. the distributer looks ok, and all the leads seem fine. there are no vacuum leaks anywhere, and there dont appear to be any more fuel leaks. fuel pump could be stuffed i guess, or there could be a problem some where with the previous owners crazy fuel system (pics of that to come).

ontop of all this the body is in fairly poor shape, with previous attempts to bog rust cracking under the paint. i may be in over my head on this one but at this stage all i want to do is get it running so i can enjoy driving it for the next couple weeks before i move interstate.

Yeah interesting vents.

Mate if need any help/pointers let me know. Can't help u with carby problem as I hate the damn things and as far as I'm concerned should be used as land fill or scrap metal.

Did u see the car/pics before buying?

You really have a challenge there old mate. It looks worse than my parts car that is going to the dump. Did you not look at it before buying. I hope you did not pay too much for it. Anyway chin up if you need help just check out my build as you can still get a good result with a lot of work on a small budget. Just ask questions and you will get a lot of help as I have done from this site. As long as it is straight you can make something out of it. First strip it down and fix any really bad rust areas. Think about any mechanical problems or mods after you have got the body right. This is going to take some time so hang in there for the long run and you will enjoy the result. Or get rid of it and look for a much better car {Z} to work on.

Well I guess anything can be fixed with money?

It sort of looks like a 74/75 260Z?

If so, the early Zeds in Oz suffered from point bounce so make sure you have strong spring on the points.

Sounds like the engine might be out of a datsun 240K/240C interesting to know if the 5 speed is an original Zed box or a 240K box not sure how you tell the difference?

Usually when the fuel pump is about to kark it the engine feels like it is running on 3 or 4 cylinders probably won't go over about 80/90kms an hour?

Body wise looks like it needs a bead blast to show up the gremlins

The car as a project could be good but not as a restoration but certainly modified would be ok.

Keep the story going and what you end up doing it is an interesting basket case

Lynton 8)

• Moderators

Post a pic of the carb(s) that are on the car so we can see what you have to deal with; if they are the single/boat anchors, first mod should be 240Z Hitatchi's and and electronic distributor..