Heater pipe leak

Dandaman

Hi guys,

im on the brink of bringing the zed back on the road after a 10year retirement. Spent the last few months replace/recon F&R brakes, front suspension/steering, hoses & heater (and glovebox as I got a tad frustrated), plugs & leads. Final pressure test before I roll this lady out the driveway & we find that the heater pipe (round the back of the block) has sprung a leak. What I want to know is how many of you guys are still running this pipe? What is the purpose of running water through the SUs (heatup/cooldown)? If I should be replacing it what are my options?

• Moderators

Dont forget to plug up the other opening under the thermostat housing...or you could plumb up the bypass from under the thermostat to where the lower radiator hose goes into the timing cover at the front. If you need pics, I can provide.

i was going to stick a bolt through the opening on the thermostat base, have a rubber stopper for the 3 way pipe on the other side (temporary) will look for an elbow to replace this...i could do with a photo on this point if you have one Zedman, need a tidy way to deal with the mount if i have a hose clamp in the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Lurch I dont agree entirely with its purpose: The heated manifold is not primarily there to stop icing, the primary role is to comply with emissions controll.

much like the heated air that some old carbs suck in off the exhaust pipe.

Either way.. blocking it off will have no or little effect.....It may even be running a little on the lean side as the density of the air is now greater.

So to that end have the slightest fiddle with the colour tune once its at operating temp and I pretty much guarantee it'll need more fuel.

Tim

Thanks for the pic Zedman, ill definitely have a go at replumbing when i have some time.

and cheers for the advice Timwell, in the end i was advised to just replace the heater pipe with some heater hose as it served to do more than warm the carbs, something about condensation and flow...my neighbour lost me somewhere near the beginning of that explanation. Plus replacing with hose was alot simpler to do.

Shes been on the road since last thursday  ;D