Picking your brains about scooters

stevo_gj

So I'm not really able to afford daily driving the Z to uni, petrol + parking is costing me $100 a week nearly.

I am seriously considering buying a small scooter that I am allowed to drive only having a car license. It would be really good on petrol, and parking will be less than half what cars cost.

However I know nothing about scooters, in terms of brands, limitations associated with them and the laws regarding them.

The drive to uni is 13 km and I do it every day sometimes during peak hour. I figure the scooter will let me save the Z for driving on weekends, and I can put the savings on petrol back into it. I'm not looking to spend a lot on it, probably a second hand one.

I figure since you guys are an authority on many forms of vehicles, you might have some advice for me?

Cheers,

Steve

Not really interested in riding a pushbike to uni everyday, but thanks for the input!

Yamaha aerox eh? Something like this?:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Yamaha-scooter-Aerox-Zuma-50cc-Brisbane-handles-great_W0QQitemZ260478872872QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Motorcycles?hash=item3ca5c02d28&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Price is about what im looking to spend. Apart from that I'm not sure how to choose between individual scooters.

you're doing eng so its not like you'd ever need to take anything to uni with u? :P so seriously just ride a pushy (i had an a3 folio and supplies, so even if i left my laptop behind it was to much). a fairly flat 13km is basically the ideal distance for a daily commute - as long as its not raining!

besides the cold, rain, and lack of daylight, riding's my prefered method of getting to work, only its 30km each way which is a bit to much, and currently takes an extra half an hour due to my lack of fitness - hopefully that will change soon

Hmm yeah that does make sense. I just checked and there is a dedicated bike path the marjority of the way to Uni. About 30% is on road but yeah.

Only pain with riding a bike is that I have a fairly heavy bag of stuff including a laptop.

How much is a decent pushy?

• Administrators

Hmm yeah that does make sense. I just checked and there is a dedicated bike path the marjority of the way to Uni. About 30% is on road but yeah.

Only pain with riding a bike is that I have a fairly heavy bag of stuff including a laptop.

How much is a decent pushy?

If it makes you feel better I ride to work here in Dublin on my push bike. Its great when the weather is good and its cheap / free and a good way to get exercise. In Dublin helmets are optional and it can get a bit hairy with the double decker bus' but overall its good fun.

Spare a thought for when it rains in Dublin (often) and I still ride to work. Ughhh Winter is coming over here now too! :(.

But you will save a heap of cash and be thankful that the Z isn't being abused as a daily driver.

I cycle 23 k in and 23 out into brisbane... I still want a scooter. Imagine the mods. First take the panels off ( or leave them on ) and matt black them. Then out comes the pinstriping. Then some old school hotrod stickers. Then your helmet goes von dutch style. Then you do some less restrictive exhausts and mods to the engine.

Sort of a ratscooter idea. In fact you heard the term rat scooter here.  ;D  Seriously young lad like you should be able to ride into uni.

Get a good pushy, lightness is your king. Trek or cannondale based ones. There is a good trek shop on taringa where surpass computers is. Get ready to spend around 700 upwards.

your going to want a cycle tourer or along the lines of that. A mtb is good, but a pain for road ridding. If you wanted too.. me being a bike nut.. i could take you to a few shops to show you different styles of bike.. you could even ride a few of mine to get an idea of what would suit you best. To give you a hint.. i have about 13 bikes.. so yes.. I'm biased to the bike option.

are you single? coz the ladies will love the abs and tight buns you'll get from riding your bike lots. ;D ;D ;D

but seriously, for such a short distance, 3-4 days a week will give you pretty much all the excersize you need for the week to stay in a decent shape.

it also wont take you long at all.

compared to commuting during peak time, it may even be faster then driving.

my advice would be to spend about 1g on a 1-2y/o road bike off ebay or somewhere similar

my bro a bit over a year ago bought a 2006 giant ocr zero for around $750 - carbon front and rear forks, seat stem, cranks, and handle bars! and decent running gear

now if only i had a picture of a guy at works full carbon scott with a titanium chain....

you're doing eng so its not like you'd ever need to go to uni?

haha i'm at uni 5 days a week, average of 6 hours a day. im not doing civil/mining ;)

If I see any of you push bikers on coronation drive in peak hour, I will not brake for you (I see this at least twice a week)! That includes you Steve ;)

Why would you ride on coro drive when there's that perfectly good bike path RIGHT next to it?

Why would you ride on coro drive when there's that perfectly good bike path RIGHT next to it?

And that is exactly why it s***ts me so much. And then when you ask them why, they say they "have just as much right to the road as a car does". Americans have the right to bare arms, doesn't make it right ;)

Haha don't get me wrong, i think riding is a great idea, less pollution and exercise etc. And obviously if EVERYONE rode there would be no traffic, but unfortanetely 99% of people still drive and people on bikes taking up a whole lane when there is a perfectly good bike path 10 meters away just really s**ts me.

Anyway, back onto the topic of steves transportation to uni...

Shaun, ride a bike too.. then it wont bug you off anymore.At least you will see what it's like on the other side of the coin. Brisbane drivers are the worst for sharing traffic route;s for cyclists. In retro spec to other real city's, were still a country town and drivers don't get the concept of other transport means then there big heavy polluting cars.

This is probably detering steve off more than anything.

haha i'm at uni 5 days a week, average of 6 hours a day. im not doing civil/mining

No, your only doing mechanical. (Sorry, but as an electrical engineer I just couldn't pass that up).

I've been riding a 150cc scooter for about 4 years. It doesn't get too much use as I only use it for short trips - up to 30 km round trips, and going to the supermarket, post office, etc. and it has only done less than 4000 km in that time. You need to have two heads when riding any bike - one looking forward and the other looking back - as car drivers can't or don't want to see you. Aside from that, they can be fun, there is generally enough storage, and cheap to run.  I've had my bike licence longer than I've had my car licence, so have been around bikes for a long time, and can only say that you need to be on the look out ALL the time for other drivers.

more like you need two heads on a scooter becuase

1. To keep an eye out for women who will pay you out for ridding a scooter

and

2 Gay guys trying to hit you up for a night out at the club cause the think your gay becuase your ridding a scooter.

They do say its ok to be gay these days.

Though i would rather follow the wisdom of my best uncle, Uncle chop chop. Hardin the **** up kiddies, scooters are for gay ***** looking for public toilets to express there man on ******* man gay ****. ******* gay ****.

I love my uncle Chop chop.