Supercharging an L28

menzcar

I want to supercharge my L28. Have done a bit of research and will probably go for a Sprintex, although they advertise how quiet they are (would prefer a noisy one). If anyone has any experience with this any advice would be good, ie best mounting position, intercooler mounting and pipe set-up, brackets to hold in place(which I will make myself) etc.

Cheers.

I considered going supercharger also. No lag so its better for things like motorkhanas. But I've decided not to turbo or supercharge mine because I would incur a 1.7 multiplication factor and then I'd be in a whole other class. I just need to get more horses from the N/A 2.8

Having said that. I've also considered running the supercharger but hiding it under the intake manifold :)

turbo lot cheaper to setup and easier to modify afterwards.

yeah u get lag but u also get whiplash and ur internal organs squashed to the seat when boost kicks in . u dont get than in supercharger. to get rid of the lag need to change ur driving style, keep the revs up.  ;D when u not pushing it still give u good fuel economy.

from memory sprintex chargers are not cheap. but u may have better deal than i ever got so yeah go for it. at least its somethin different. mounting position would be where the a/c compressor goes. shouldnt be too hard to make up a bracket to suit.

Im doing a blow through supercharger, so can mount the unit anywhere, either side of the engine, so the extractors wont get in the way. Have driven loads of turbos, but to enjoy them u usually end up doing 120km/hr in a 60 zone. Also a supercharger is more fuel efficient - depending on how u drive it, which in my case means it wont be more fuel efficient. Other than that, everyone does turbo. Have driven a few supercharged holdens, and for everyday driving (read not on a race track) you can feel the power and enjoy it even at low revs(not using a centrifugul turbo style blower).

Cheers.

The supercharer I have is not much bigger than a AC compressor. So I figure I should be able to mount it to the same mounting points under the intake manifold (in front of the extractors). Just have to rig up a nice strong bracket and line it up with the fan belt.

menzed i hear what u saying. with turbo you easily exceed the speed limit. though supercharger being more efficient is load of bolony. its like saying my car uses less fuel for having the a/c on. not true. the turbo is lot more efficent in making the power as it uses no power to spin unlike supercharger.

to me supercharger feels like a well tuned NA. yeah u feel it goes better compared to a non blown.the excitement of everything getting dumped at a sweet point in the rpm range is lot more fun for me.

but it will be different and love to see it you go through with it.

Here's my effort (on an L18)

It is pretty tight getting it all to fit on the passenger side. I am in the process of making custom extractors as I couldn't find a standard set that went anywhere close to clearing the blower that's mounted in the air-con compressor's spot.

For me, an issue was that I couldn't mount the blower any lower down, as it fouled on the engine mounting bracket - I'm not sure if the mount is set further back on a six cylinder block, may not be a bad as it is on a four cyl ??

I used an Eaton M45 off a mini cooper S - would be too small for an L28, but perhaps its bigger brother, an Eaton M90 off a supercharged commodore, may be a cheaper alternative to the sprintex ? The Sprintex would be nice though !!

As far as intercooling goes, I'm using a Subaru RS Trubo water-to-air setup. It will be mounted in the front of the passenger side of the engine bay (between the strut tower and the radiator support panel). Gives a very simple pipe arrangement - a few inches of pipe from the blower to the intercooler, the another few inches from the intercooler back to the throttle body. Again, I'm not sure how well it would cope with the demands of the bigger engine. The issue I had with an air-to-air one was pipe setup - since the blower and throttle are on the same side of the engine, it makes arranging piping more difficult (and longer).

b1-1.jpg

b2-1.jpg

b3-1.jpg

I have a supercharger installed on my 240 with an L28.. although i have never used it as it came with the car. My supercharger is installed in the oil filter side of the car and the alternator is relocated to the other side. (i think? i dont have much knowledge about L series engines as yet.)  My air filter is next to the supercharger and it feeds air through a single pipe into the supercharger (or bypasses using a valve) then it splits into 2 pipes that go directly into my twin SU's round tops. (pipes run over the engine) I can get picks if ya like? I actually want to hook the belt up and try it out, but have no clue on how superchargers work  ???

DO IT!!  After driving my mates AE86 with 4AGZE I fell in love with them, they are just so controllable. I recommend getting an SC14 Toyota charger.  It has its own sump and is mounted like an alternator so you can have it on the other side.  You will pick one up for around $400  (Sprintex twin screws around $2400...).  The other great thing about them is, they have an electric clutch,so you can set them up to be switched off with a switch, or if you have electronic ignition you can set them up to come on with the throttle etc.

DO IT!!  After driving my mates AE86 with 4AGZE I fell in love with them, they are just so controllable. I recommend getting an SC14 Toyota charger.  It has its own sump and is mounted like an alternator so you can have it on the other side.  You will pick one up for around $400  (Sprintex twin screws around $2400...).  The other great thing about them is, they have an electric clutch,so you can set them up to be switched off with a switch, or if you have electronic ignition you can set them up to come on with the throttle etc.

Unfortunately they'd be a bit on the small side for an L28 I think.  The electric clutch is good though, fun driving an AW11 trying not to make the little green light come on in the dash....  That gets boring pretty quick though!

1600Dave, Can you clarify how you attached the multigroove pully to the front of the old single groove pully? Was it purchased or manufactured? More info please.

Datsport sell one that is designed for the SC14 supercharger off a Toyota, but it mounts the ribbed pulley section behind the "V" pullley (ie the other way around to the one in my photo). For me, that moved the supercharger another 2 inches or so further back, resulting in more problems with supercharger and engine mount trying to occupy the same spot. So, the one pictured is home-made to better suit the Eaton M45 supercharger I'm using.

Basically, its a stock L18 pulley that has had the inner surfaces ( ie the face where the crank pulley nut is, and the "underneath" part of the "V" pulley) machined flat on my lathe, combined with the ribbed section that I machined off a CA18 pulley. The CA18 was used as its an appropriate diameter to give the amount of boost I wanted. To join them, I turned up a lump of aluminium so that it was a shrink-fit inside the L18 pulley and also had a little locating ring to accurately locate the ribbed piece. Eventually the ribbed section will be attached to the aluminium piece with bolts, and there will be another set of bolts from the rear of the L18 pulley into the aluminium block (in case the shrink-fit isn't enough to hold it in place).

At the moment, its all held together with the big vicegrip you can see in the photo ::)

In the photo below, the ribbed section is on the right, the red pulley on the left is the original L18 one, and the shiny alloy bit inside the stock puolley is the custom-made part that joins the two pulleys.

pulley1.jpg

I dont reckon.  They were on a Twin cam 2 litre straight six which would flow more than an L28.  I think you think i mean the SC12 that was on the 4AGZE, but the SC14 is bigger.

Correct.  You mentioned the 4AGZE then directly after a Toyota supercharger, I assumed you meant the 4 cyl one.  Not exactly up to speed on turbo/supercharger model numbers, I just don't care enough about them....

I had an sc14 on a fuel injected a15 in a datsun 1200,

I hated it ::)

it was got on pick up, but ran out of puff after 4500 rpm,

and it was soo noisy on the freeway!

I dont own the car any more but i have been told by the new owner

the car has now been fitted with a t28 turbo  and it goes about 30% better and is better on fuel

yeh, i am only on a street tune atm, be lucky to have 110rwkw, but its my turbo that lets me down in the lag dept.  Its a high flowed, Journal bearing item with a larger VG30 housing.  Its strong, but its slow.  Ill see how it goes when i get it tuned properly again and then go from there.  I would love a GT30RS or similar, but I didnt win lotto.. :D