How to Sell a 260Z?

Guihan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A standard 2 seater in excellent condition (like winning shows condition) is worth up to mid 20K

A good solid car with no faults (nothing worth repairing) is worth 15K or so

A car with a few faults might be more like 10k

A car needing a restoration is possibly worth 5k

A car thats needing a lot of rust work and panel damage might be worth about 2K

It really depends how quick she needs to sell. If you have time put it up for sale with a high price and see what people are willing to offer. Otherwise wait until a few of the guys on the forum are getting together and take it to them for their opinion.

Many thanks to all who have helped me. I have now placed an ad. for the car (which is actually a 1976 model, not 1975) in the Classified section. I forgot to say that it was an auto, not manual, so I will now try to edit the ad.

Queries by PM please.

A standard 2 seater in excellent condition (like winning shows condition) is worth up to mid 20K

It really depends how quick she needs to sell. If you have time put it up for sale with a high price and see what people are willing to offer. Otherwise wait until a few of the guys on the forum are getting together and take it to them for their opinion.

As I have said, the ad. for the 260Z has now been placed in the Classified page. However, I am now trying to plan for the contingency that I receive no bids for the 260Z . I have assured my late friend’s widow that I will sell my friend’s car, and I am thinking that I may amend the ad. to say that, after 9AM on Saturday 4th July, the price will be reduced by $1000 at the same time each day until the car is sold. Advance bids will still be welcome, but bidders will have to specify whether or not their bid is for the car plus roadworthy, or just the car. I would appreciate informed opinion on that plan.

As I have spelt out in my answer to a question on the Classified page, the optional extra $3000 gets you the original plates, any worn steering parts replaced, a new windscreen, four new tyres, the driver’s seat re-padded, all faulty globes replaced, factory air filter and emission controls fitted, front brake callipers serviced, a couple of minor oil leaks fixed … and a roadworthy certificate.

I have assured my late friend’s widow that I will sell my friend’s car, and I am thinking that I may amend the ad. to say that, after 9AM on Saturday 4th July, the price will be reduced by $1000 at the same time each day until the car is sold. Advance bids will still be welcome, but bidders will have to specify whether or not their bid is for the car plus roadworthy, or just the car.

Well, if you decide to do that, I'll be around there with a trailer and a fistful of cash on the 11th of July ($3000 without RWC)..... Somehow think it'll be gone by then though!

Well, if you decide to do that, I'll be around there with a trailer and a fistful of cash on the 11th of July ($3000 without RWC)..... Somehow think it'll be gone by then though!

Yes, I reckon my own piggy bank may be tempted to intervene before it got that far. In any case, I would expect any serious bids to come by PM and subsequent to inspection of the vehicle.

I would expect any serious bids to come by PM and subsequent to inspection of the vehicle.

Very true.  However I'm only 15 minutes away from you (or 5 if I'm at work), and from what the photos show inspection would likely be a formality.  You've been very upfront about the car and the faults it has.  To be honest, if I were you I wouldn't drop the price by much - I would say if the car presents as well as it appears, less than 7k would be doing a grave disservice to your friend, and there shouldn't be any problems in getting that price for it in the current zed market.

Unfortunately my current situation doesn't allow me to even consider anything above my earlier mentioned price, I have enough projects and expenditures on the go as it is, else I would have come and checked the car out in great detail already.  But as I'm not in the position to offer in the vicinity of the current price range, I don't want to waste your time.  If it gets down to a point where I can justify the money to myself (and certain others!), then I will be in contact.

Good luck with the sale.

You've been very upfront about the car and the faults it has.  To be honest, if I were you I wouldn't drop the price by much/quote]

Thanks for that. Maybe a more sensible plan would be to reduce the price by $1000 each week, if necessary, until sold. There is really no need to rush things.

I sensed my price was a tad high, so I have cut it by $1500.

$8500 will now get you the car minus plates. An extra $3000 gets you the original plates, all worn steering parts replaced, a new windscreen, four new tyres, the driver's seat repadded, all faulty globes replaced, factory air filter and emission controls fitted, front brake callipers serviced, a couple of minor oil leaks fixed ... and a roadworthy certificate.

Bids by PM please.

I sensed my price was a tad high, so I have cut it by $1500.

$8500 will now get you the car minus plates. An extra $3000 gets you the original plates, all worn steering parts replaced, a new windscreen, four new tyres, the driver's seat repadded, all faulty globes replaced, factory air filter and emission controls fitted, front brake callipers serviced, a couple of minor oil leaks fixed ... and a roadworthy certificate.

Bids by PM please.

Unless previously sold, the price will be further reduced by $1000 at 9AM tomorrow (Monday). The price will then continue to be reduced at the same time daily until sold. Add $3000 if a roadworthy certificate is required. I have seen other ads for 260Z cars, some for higher prices, some lower. The main difference is that, with this car, we KNOW what it will cost to get it roadworthy. Please don't be "just too late" with your bid! Arrange inspection/road test via personal message to me.

thats an interesting............... auction going downwards ..... ;D ;D

so tempting ...................  "SLAP"  no can't do it. got too many cars....... i hope someone from here gets it looks like a good car.

hey South Aussies this could be a bargain as we dont require that silly roadworthy certificate  :P only id inspection.

good luck with the sale. price is reasonable and if u droping 1K a day someone will get a bargain of the century.........

me watching  :)  "SLAP'' another one by the missus.  :'(

• Administrators

Agreed.

I find it amusing that people post on this forum 'looking for a early Zed', yet when one like this is offered FS no one jumps at it... ???

Unfortunately when selling cars people will say they are serious and even put down a deposit only to back out at the last minute.

My thoughts are that possibly some people are put off by the colour, however its far cheaper to start with a good solid base car than it would be to buy a $1000 wreck and try to get it on the road.

This car (from the looks of it) represents good value for anyone looking for a 2 seater Zed. At least its still mostly original and unmolested like so many examples.

I'm somewhat tempted by this, being a 2 seater that looks in pretty good shape, but it's a bit more than I wanted my initial outlay to be, especially considering I can't inspect it, and would have to add $500+ to transport it up here. Depends how low it goes before I jump in I guess...

My thoughts are that possibly some people are put off by the colour, however its far cheaper to start with a good solid base car than it would be to buy a $1000 wreck and try to get it on the road.

This car (from the looks of it) represents good value for anyone looking for a 2 seater Zed. At least its still mostly original and unmolested like so many examples.

I have now reduced the price to $7500. However, in the interests of doing the best I can for my late friend's widow, I have decided that this is as low as I am prepared to go. If the car is not sold today (Monday) I now intend to pull the ad. (at least for a while) and try other advertising outlets. In any case, there is already a buzz of interest from Members, and I have a strong suspicion that the car will be gone very soon. All I am waiting for is the first to formally grab this rare opportunity for a genuine bargain.

Zed's are one of those cars you don't want to have to be in too much of a hurry to sell. If you need the money quickly, then you have to reduce it to a low enough price so people can't afford not to buy it  ;)

If you set it at a reasonale price, someone will come along and get it eventually.

Zed's are one of those cars you don't want to have to be in too much of a hurry to sell. If you need the money quickly, then you have to reduce it to a low enough price so people can't afford not to buy it  ;)

If you set it at a reasonale price, someone will come along and get it eventually.

There is no hurry for the sale. However, it does seem to me that the predominant interest on this board is to pick up spare parts cheaply. This car is much too good for that, and I am beginning to think that I should go ahead with the roadworthy. This will enable me to advertise it in wide-circulation media as a road-ready classic sports coupe with new tyres, a new windscreen, reconditioned steering, and all the other things I mentioned previously. If I decide to do that, out of courtesy to you people who have tried so hard to help me, I will post it first on this site. In any event, I will leave the current ad. in place until 9AM tomorrow (Tuesday).

Same thing as you Chris. I might be talking for myself but i think the problem is we all have Zeds already and even though this may be a better base to work on, buying it for many of us will mean selling the Zed we already have :o

I personally didnt sleep last night because i was very much considering buying this car :-\. But what its come down to is it will probably end up costing $10000 minimum with roadworthy which is in my opinion a bargain for a 2seater Zed but i would have to sell my zed and would probably get a maximum of $5000 if im lucky. I also want a manual and this ones an auto. I considered stripping gearbox and motor from my car and converting the 2 seater but if this car is as original as it sounds i think it would be wrong to change engine or transmission and pulling my zed apart would mean one less around.

Anyway if i was selling it i would not get a roadworthy yet and advertise it for $8000.00 no roadworthy it would be great for someone in the club to buy it but chances are where ever its advertised a Zed enthusiast will buy it and probably end up here anyway. And if there not an enthusiast they soon will be ;D

Anyway sorry for crapping on so much, making up for lost time i guess ;)

Joel

I think we all agree the car is a bargain @ $7,500 but it is unrealistic to expect the car to have sold within 3 days.  (It was only advertised on the 26th June.)

Personally I think the 10-13k range is very achievable, (with a RWC), however there is a relatively limited market for 30+ year old sports cars, particularly in todays economic climate, so it may take some time to find the right buyer, (with suitable financial authority from their other half.)  :)

Having said that, how long would it have lasted if it was a 240 at that price?

I think we all agree the car is a bargain @ $7,500 but it is unrealistic to expect the car to have sold within 3 days.  (It was only advertised on the 26th June.)

Personally I think the 10-13k range is very achievable, (with a RWC), however there is a relatively limited market for 30+ year old sports cars, particularly in todays economic climate, so it may take some time to find the right buyer, (with suitable financial authority from their other half.)   :)

Having said that, how long would it have lasted if it was a 240 at that price?

It is not just that the car did not sell in "just 3 days". Even after the price was reduced from $10,000 to $7,500, there was not a single request from Members to even view the car. I pick up on some messages pretty quickly. There is also the factor that the registration is due to expire in August. If the car is sold before then, it simplifies matters for the Executor of my friend's estate. There is also an emotional factor. My friend would have been devastated at the prospect of his beloved car (complete with its original plates) not continuing to give somebody the great pleasure it brought him for the past 26 years. Accordingly, I have now asked for the classified ad. to be withdrawn, and I shall proceed to have the work done to bring the car up to the magnificent Classic sports coupe standard it deserves to be again. When that is done, I will give Members one last chance to acquire this very fine car, before advertising it more widely.