Oil catch cans

luvemfast

Anyone know if there are any rules or regulations about the use of oil catch cans? Is there a minimum size to get through scrutineering? (MSCA)

I'm looking at putting one in with the triples instead of running it into the inlet manifold.

Thoughts and opinions?

Simon

• Moderators

I'm sure it has to be around sump capacity. Average it out to 4 liters and that should be fine. As long as it's securely fastened and not moving around... Be careful about some scrutineers; they picked on my serviettes in my glove box...

Autotecnica do some really nice looking ones (polished alloy) for around $50-$60, a mate of mine has one in his F6, it's probably around 500ml.

4 litres is a bit excessive and any scrutineer that argues you'd need one that big shouldn't be doing that job. For a car to need a can that big would mean it wouldn't make it to the end of the race if it was lucky enough to make it through warm up first.

To quote Schedule 'B' of the NCR's in my CAMS manual:

Vehicles must have fitted an oil-trap container of at least 2ltrs for cars under 2000cc or

3ltrs for cars OVER 2000cc.

The general rule of thump I go buy is at least 2/3rds sump capacity.

This takes care of any instance whereby the engine may pump out the contents of it's sump.

Perhaps you should do your research before you post misleading info Stef...

• Moderators

To me, Autotechnica make things like that to appeal to the "boy racer" market. To see decent catch cans, either Revolution, GMP etc will have ones that CAMS would be happy with. Its far cheaper to make your own. I go for function rather than Big M sized catch cans that are shiny.

Yer as Lurch says you need a 3ltr min cap for a zed to be legal for a CAMS event

Most of the ones you buy from autobarn (autotechnica) etc are way to small and are expensive aswell.

The best and cheapest solution is to get a 4/5ltr thinners tin (empty of course) and drill a couple of breather holes in the top and run your block and rocker breather into it aswell. Sure its not a pretty as the polished ones but costs about 10-20 bucks and dose a better job :)

Ash

I saw a great polished alloy catch can complete with level advertised for sale at Autobarn yesterday (on special). It looked great for $40- to $50- I would be getting it if I didn't already have one.

To quote Schedule 'B' of the NCR's in my CAMS manual:

Vehicles must have fitted an oil-trap container of at least 2ltrs for cars under 2000cc or

3ltrs for cars OVER 2000cc.

Yer as Lurch says you need a 3ltr min cap for a zed to be legal for a CAMS event

Is this for MSCA events aswell then? Sprints and hillclimbs are all I will be doing, my car is not a real racer.

If Craig is running a smaller can like the one at Autobarns, then would it be ok for me?

Simon for club sprints almost any catch can might do. I got one made up to fit in a particular spot on my car. It would be lucky to be 2litres. But no one has ever said anything. State racing might be a different story but for sprinting you would be OK with the Autobarn one or even make your own can up. I offer no guarantee's but 97% you would be OK.

If you don't want to run a catch can then you can run the piping back into the air filter if you are running the ramflow types.

I saw that you didn't want to plumb into the manifold, so this will not be an option if you are running socks.

I don't run a catch can, instead just run the standard piping back into the throttle body as per factory. It has raced for over ten years like this and I have only ever been asked where the second throttle return spring is on the linkages.

I had a look on the MSCA site but you have to email to get there safty regs. I noticed they are not running through CAMS now is that correct?

Still think you should do it properly (3ltr) but if you want to spend $60 on somthing that doesnt make your car any faster and potentialy is not per the rules then go for it :)

I just know you need one picky guy and you might not be able to run.

Ash

Perhaps you should do your research before you post misleading info Stef...

I never said CAMS had any idea now did I, as for needing a big capacity catch can mate if any engine spits 2/3's of it's oil out I don't think it's gonna catch all the oil that's going to end up coming out. Oh ye and then there's the engine bits that will surely follow that oil straight out of the sump, sometimes the side of the block even.

Any decent set up will have an oil guage AND a low oil pressure warning light/buzzer, racing isn't just about going fast and passing the other cars on the track, a keen eye is for more than just seeing where you are on your lap board.

• Moderators

I know while I'm competing in sprints you don't have heaps of time to spend looking at gauges; I'm looking at armco, tyre walls and for other cars..I don't think I would be able to hear a buzzer with an L28 with triples screaming at 6500 rpm. Ash, alot of people refer to oil lights as idiot lights and yeah, if it's on its too late!

But Simon, to be safe and not being able to run at an event just for that reason, just make a oil catch can of about 3 liters in capacity, bolt it in and enjoy a day of racing. I think this thread may go outta control!

I think this thread may go outta control!

D'ya think? I did ask for thought's and opinions though..... :)

I am going to measure up a spot to put it on the car and fold a 3L can out of Alum and get a mate to weld it up.

Now what should it have?

2 inlets, 1 from block & 1 from rocker. A drain plug at the bottom. Does it need to have a filter/breather at the top? Why do they all have festo air fittings with a clear tube to see whats in it? Is it just a wank or does it serve a purpose?

I know while I'm competing in sprints you don't have heaps of time to spend looking at gauges; I'm looking at armco, tyre walls and for other cars..I don't think I would be able to hear a buzzer with an L28 with triples screaming at 6500 rpm. Ash, alot of people refer to oil lights as idiot lights and yeah, if it's on its too late!

But Simon, to be safe and not being able to run at an event just for that reason, just make a oil catch can of about 3 liters in capacity, bolt it in and enjoy a day of racing. I think this thread may go outta control!

I"ll drink to that!!

:)

do you mean a f@#ked light stef

I never run one because by the time the lights on its too late :)

Ash

Hey some warning is better than none at all, and besides I'm sure you could set a different pressure at which it came on.

And ye they are idiot lights, coz most idiots don't know what they're for, take it from someone that used to tow alot of cars because people had no idea it was a bad thing when the light came on, that's why they're called idiot lights. I had one lady who had not only lights on the dash all light up but buzzers going off and she kept going, even when smoke started pouring out from under the bonnet she still kept going, till the car stopped.

It was the so called "idiot light" that saved me and only did a pump instead of potentially doing a complete engine and box at the drag track in April last year, if I hadn't noticed it at the staging line I would have really made a mess of things.

That's why most flash rather than just stay on, if yours doesn't then make it do so, you could also put a buzzer on the system to make sure you don't miss both, a buzzer going off at the same will make you look.

Oh ye and at 6500rpm if you didn't notice a skip in the beat, hmmm it would be much easier to pick up something wrong with the engine at higher load rather than idle/puttering around.

I have just found from experiance that most oil warning light (in road cars) only operate at very low pressure and usually its too late. But most experiance I have is with pre 85 cars and they may have not been as advanced as new models.

Just in the racing world usually if the light comes on in an event you are pulling over 6k and it usually lets go before it revs down. However it still may save you from doing more damage by keeping your foot on the gas :)

I always run a good seperate mechanical oil guage (the one were the oil runs all the way up to the guage) on my racecars as they are much quicker to react than std oil pressure guage thats in the zed. I check it once or twice a lap usually just before my brake point at the end of a straight.  I remember the first time I started my racecar with it and couldnt believe the amount of pressure change at low revs to high.

Ash

I just run the standard gauge. In 5 lap sprint races you keep going till the motor stops :o If the pressure drops low enough to worry about it then you've already done damage and will have to pull it all down anyways, so keep going, well that's what my mechanics would keep telling me as motors weren't costing me anything. I can still have the same attitude now I have 3 spare motors in various states of assembly.

Also my motors were done cheap but right, the standard bottom end was never touched, except for the stroker and I only rev them to about 7200 as the don't make any power past 6800 with the 76 degree cam I run. So they are generally not too stressed.

The only time I've had trouble with oil pressure in a L series engine was in my 180B when I was running a L18 out to 2.2 litres. Was pressurising the sump, cured that problem and then popped a head gsaket the next meeting, 12:1 compression is hard to control even with avgas.

The Z runs all day at around 60lbs on the track and then at idle drops to 20lbs in the pits when hot. Never worry about the oil, it's more keeping the water cool when idling around as we ran without a fan for many years and only fitted a small manual electric fan when I first bought the car up to Brisbane.