Administrators gav240z Posted November 12, 2008 Administrators Posted November 12, 2008 Hi Everyone, I've been looking for the interior diamond pattern vinyl that covers the trans tunnel, rear wheel strut towers, the area before the stowage area etc. I haven't been able to find one without rips and in good condition for my 240z. I'm not in desparate need of it as I'm overseas, but though I'd put some feelers out and see if anyone has a spare set lying around. Prefer black in colour (beggers can't be choosers though!) While I'm at it, looking for an original drivers side RHD 240z door mirror, any condition. Just needs to be the original. Finally also looking for a heater control panel, preferably unmolested, undrilled cut etc for a stereo / head unit. As I say, not in a rush, but looking for these parts so if anyone comes across them in good condition let me know. Cheers, Gavin. Quote
aegean Posted November 12, 2008 Posted November 12, 2008 You might like to contact these people http://www.upgrademotoring.com/seats_interior/diamond_vinyl.htm or http://classicdatsun.com/new/240_interior.html or http://store.datsunspirit.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=15 or http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/SIC106G Craig Quote
matt drago Posted November 13, 2008 Posted November 13, 2008 Just one thing to remember with the US interior kits. They sit on the wrong side of the car when they drive, hence the hand brake is also on the wrong side. Meaning that the tunnel vinyl has the hole on the wrong side. And yes, I know this from experience, dammit! Quote
aegean Posted November 13, 2008 Posted November 13, 2008 Good point ! I wouldn't have thought of that either. I'm sure at least one of these companies would sell you the fabric by the yard so you could use your existing vinyl as a pattern. Quote
Administrators gav240z Posted November 13, 2008 Author Administrators Posted November 13, 2008 Just one thing to remember with the US interior kits. They sit on the wrong side of the car when they drive, hence the hand brake is also on the wrong side. Meaning that the tunnel vinyl has the hole on the wrong side. And yes, I know this from experience, dammit! Same problem with the door trims. There is an extra handle on the passenger door and the vinyl is created around that pattern. Hence reason I was asking here, figured someone might have a second hand kit in good condition. I would buy new, but I am thinking of going back to Silver (exterior colour) for the Zed in future since this is the colour the car came from factory. Because the car is red, I think a black interior would suit, but in future I think with a Silver exterior a burgundy / redish interior colour would look the goods . Thanks for the links above. I just thought I'd see if anything was out there, as I say not in a rush. Quote
aegean Posted November 17, 2008 Posted November 17, 2008 I have made a few inquiries with a company in the US, and they believe they can make this without any problem. This is one of the biggest companies dealing in disposal fabrics,and embossed reproduction door panels etc. and they can recreate the diamond pattern with their heat sealing equipment. It does not involve having to order a massive quantity - it could be as low as a couple of yards (metres). However, they would like to see a physical sample to be able to recreate it perfectly. One of the advantages of doing it this way is that they can replicate it on any colour that is available, rather than the few original colours. Typical cost is around US$75 - 85/yard, 54" wide. Question - does anyone have an original sample ? I don't want to cut mine up as it is dirty but not torn, but if someone has a parts car that can spare 200mm of it, that would be all they need. There is also another company that manufacturers it, and I am waiting to hear back from them. They do not typically sell it by the yard though - they sell it to all the Z guys who make it up into kits, but explaining the situation to them about RHD cars might help. Quote
aegean Posted December 2, 2008 Posted December 2, 2008 Question - does anyone have an original sample ? I don't want to cut mine up as it is dirty but not torn, but if someone has a parts car that can spare 200mm of it, that would be all they need. No replies so far. No one out there have any that can be used as a sample ? Only need about 200mm square. Quote
zedevan Posted December 2, 2008 Posted December 2, 2008 you realise the 240z and 260z trim is different yeah? 240z is actully a diamond where 260z is a square. if i were to get mine redone i think i'd want it stitched, not stamped - although i'm sure this woudl be dam $$$$$ Quote
aegean Posted December 2, 2008 Posted December 2, 2008 In that case, one of each would be good ! It may be that they have both, but they have asked for a sample. Mine is a '74 260 2 + 2 and that is a diamond, so I would be interested to see them both side by side. Quote
stevo_gj Posted December 11, 2008 Posted December 11, 2008 I am interested in getting my hands on some of the material for this pattern as well because I am getting my seats reupholstered in January and will get my carpets and transmission tunnel redone at the same time. Sitting at a desk all day is kind of boring... Welcome to office life me. Quote
mossy Posted December 12, 2008 Posted December 12, 2008 Just one thing to remember with the US interior kits. They sit on the wrong side of the car when they drive, hence the hand brake is also on the wrong side. Meaning that the tunnel vinyl has the hole on the wrong side. And yes, I know this from experience, dammit! I saw this quote and I got worried as I've just ordered a vinyl kit from MSA, I gave them a call and the handbrake hole is on the right hand side still and I checked google images and they show the handbrake on the same side as us. Quote
HELLFIRE! Posted December 12, 2008 Posted December 12, 2008 I saw this quote and I got worried as I've just ordered a vinyl kit from MSA, I gave them a call and the handbrake hole is on the right hand side still and I checked google images and they show the handbrake on the same side as us. I have noticed this as well. I think it has to do with putting a hole on the other side of the trans tunnel for the yanks. Quote
aegean Posted December 15, 2008 Posted December 15, 2008 Am I right in assuming these are the two styles ? Top one being 240 and lower one 260 ? Quote
zedevan Posted December 16, 2008 Posted December 16, 2008 yep, i just measured up the squares on my 260z and a five by five patch measured 84mm horizontally and vertically i personally prefer the larger diamonds of the 240z, but after looking at the interiors of a lambo large squares look pretty nice Quote
C.A.R. Posted December 16, 2008 Posted December 16, 2008 I remember Simon Degroot had his redone with stitched diamond pattern - it looked damn good! http://web.archive.org/web/20060824083452/http://www.240z.id.au/ Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.