1970 240Z indicator switch wanted

Dyson

• Administrators

260z indicator stalks have a "flash" or "pass" button that flashes high beams. I think the loom plug may also be different.

On 7/13/2020 at 6:47 PM, Dyson said:

Do you know the difference between the 240 and 260 indicator switch?

The switching mechanism of the 260 is very different (simpler) to that of the 240 as AFAIK the 260 used an under dash relay.

260z indicator stalks have a "flash" or "pass" button that flashes high beams. I think the loom plug may also be different.

Some 260Zs missed out on the passing flasher button, possibly just the early ones as my early '74 didn't have it. There are several different loom/plug arrangements across the S30s so if you source a switch from a different year car it may not be plug'n'play.

You haven't said what exactly is wrong with yours. The turn indicator switches do simply wear out over time, therefore are sought after as used parts. So you may just have to get one from whatever model S30 you can and match up the wiring to suit. Some owners have been able to recondition their switches, may be as simple as re-soldering on a wire.

Thanks guys, will just keep an eye out. One will come along eventually.

I don't have the switch at all gill, car was not complete when I bought it.

Now that I've started the resto, I'm noticing all the bits thats are missing :(

Thanks Gill, I've been working through different sections of the car at a time. I stripped down the dash, sent the gauges away for testing/repair, and waiting to find a big enough box to fit the dash into so I can send it to Melb Dash Doctor. 

I'm media blasting the old chrome off the heater control panel, but might just consider buying a reproduction from the US as someone had chopped out the bottom section to accomodate an aftermaket head unit.

All the dash wiring is good, just like to remove old insulation tape and re-wrap with cloth insulation tape (anti-squeak).

Just set up my zinc plating workstation in the garage (purchased from Jane kits)

It's amazing how a middle aged man can get so exited about restoring bolts, brackets etc (wife rolls eyes)

Edited by Dyson

On 7/16/2020 at 5:30 PM, Dyson said:

Thanks guys, will just keep an eye out. One will come along eventually.

I don't have the switch at all gill, car was not complete when I bought it.

You may find going with a 260Z switch(es) easier and then have an auto electrician modify the underdash wiring to suit.

Are you going to install H4 halogen headlights in place of the sealed beam originals?