Fitting genuine nissan leather shift boot correctly

theremm

Hi all,

I just purchased a genuine Nissan leather shift boot after just converting from auto to manual, however I am unsure how to correctly attach the boot to the centre console.

I don't have the genuine clips, so am making do with stationary supplies... Can anyone share a picture showing how/where they are meant to be attached?  I can't seem to work it out.. Note in the attached photographs that I have folded the bottom of the leather boot in half, however it doesn't look right from above..

post-8791-144023789619_thumb.jpg

post-8791-144023789716_thumb.jpg

post-8791-144023789815_thumb.jpg

from what mine looked like you haven't got enough of the lower edge folded over the lip, if you get a bit aggressive I would bet you will pull the flap out of the clip.

Use a hair drier to warm up the leather it will help stretch it into place if its a bit tight.

• Administrators

You need to fold the bottom part over the inside of the console lip, your boot looks like it's sitting a bit proud / high. The clips may not allow you to attach it correctly?

If not you can get genuine ones off eBay US.

I think the clips I am trying to use are restricting me, they probably are too small. Might have to order the clips from ebay however I was hoping to avoid spending ~$35-50 on such a small item(s)...

Take a look at the attached photograph - I think I have worked out how the boot needs to be attached to the centre console.

Does this look correct?

post-8791-144023789914_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

From memory it looks correct. Next time I remove my console I can check perhaps? But not sure how long away that will be. I do know it's a tight fit for the clips to go on.

From memory it looks correct. Next time I remove my console I can check perhaps? But not sure how long away that will be. I do know it's a tight fit for the clips to go on.

Yeah that would be good - I will most likely have my console sorted by then but would be good to add to the thread for future refence :)

I might see if I can make do with some bulldog clips until a cheaper set of retaining clips pops up on ebay... not prepared to spend $50 on them just yet (damn exchange rate!!)

You should make/get a metal band that is approx 5mm high that fits the circumference of the opening. This fits on the inside of the leather boot and the clips hold the ring and boot to the console. This will ensure no holes or gaps between boot and console. I hope this helps.

You should make/get a metal band that is approx 5mm high that fits the circumference of the opening. This fits on the inside of the leather boot and the clips hold the ring and boot to the console. This will ensure no holes or gaps between boot and console. I hope this helps.

Is this a factory part or something you make up your own?

I'll  have my console off this weekend if you can wait. I have just done the same job, luckily I had some new clips as well.

I probably have the old clips too.  I'll take some shots of those for you.  If you want them, you can have them.

Cheers,

Matt

I'll  have my console off this weekend if you can wait. I have just done the same job, luckily I had some new clips as well.

I probably have the old clips too.  I'll take some shots of those for you.  If you want them, you can have them.

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks mate, that would be handy; both pics and the clips! I'll send you a PM

You appear to have cut off the "folded over section" of your shift boot to get yours to fit nicely.

Mine looks like the attached photo I took from the internet (and above pics in earlier posts).

This is the single most hated task I have tried to do on my car. I physically cannot get the effin thing to go on!!!!! The "folder over section" makes it really difficult to attach to the console... I'm not sure what the purpose of this is.

P.S. almost threw my centre console at the wall in frustration!!!  >:(

post-8791-144023790773_thumb.jpg

I too fitted a 'genuine' NOS boot to my car a few years ago. I had the same issue, it didn't fit nearly as well as the original one I had. The folded up skirt was also shorter between the two, I doubt these are actually 'NOS'. Perhaps copies would be a better term.

I had 5 clips in total and I levered them open with a flat blade screw driver to push them on a little easier.

Had the same prob with mine. Sent me crasy trying to fit the new one but I asked the interior guy and he fitted it in a jiffy. If you still need a hand give me a shout. ;)