adam Posted August 13, 2014 Posted August 13, 2014 Hi all, I'm kicking myself I didn't buy the last set that popped up for sale, but I am after a good condition pair of OEM headlight covers with their chrome trim to suit a 240z/260z. Below is a picture of what I'm after. I know they're quite rare, but I am no drug dealer so please don't ask for drug money. I am located in Melbourne, not that it really matters! Thanks, Adam Quote
adam Posted August 14, 2014 Author Posted August 14, 2014 They've fetched all sorts of prices but seeing that the last set sold for ~$500, it'll be around that price, George. Quote
Administrators gav240z Posted August 14, 2014 Administrators Posted August 14, 2014 Hi all, I'm kicking myself I didn't buy the last set that popped up for sale. You and me both, but you can't always buy everything that comes up at a good price. Trust me I know . I've had to take a hiatus from Yahoo! Auctions for a little bit. Speaking of which I've seen them on Yahoo! Auctions but never as cheap as $500. I've seen some used sets in rough condition sell for $300-$400 but I'm not sure how easy is would be to get the plastic covers replicated? They're often cracked in used sets. Quote
adam Posted August 14, 2014 Author Posted August 14, 2014 I have seen a few used set sell with minor cracks also, Gav. Depending on how bad the cracks are, I'm honestly not too concerned about it. I think as long as the chrome trims aren't rusting through too badly, I'll be happy. My car isn't mint after all Quote
Moderators Zedman240® Posted August 14, 2014 Moderators Posted August 14, 2014 A few years ago I scored a NOS set of these for $400. Then on a trip to Phillip Island, got a nice crack in one of the lenses... to say I was a tad upset was an understatement. Think long and hard if you really want a set.... sure they look great and finish off the front of a zed but one small stone can change all that! Be prepared for that to happen is all I'm saying.. Quote
Administrators gav240z Posted August 14, 2014 Administrators Posted August 14, 2014 I've seen clear lenses on Yahoo! auctions, not sure if they are designed to fit the chrome trim covers or not? I was chatting to someone at the tafe course about replicating these, but perhaps doing them in stainless instead? I would love a pair for each of my 240z's . Although I'm not sure how hard it would be. Quote
adam Posted August 14, 2014 Author Posted August 14, 2014 Do you still have those covers by any chance, Dimitri? And I've also wondered that, Gav.. I have seen a few chrome trims for sale on their own, but could you use those reproduced plastic items in the chrome bits? Going by a few responses on hybridz, I don't think you can. Quote
Administrators gav240z Posted August 14, 2014 Administrators Posted August 14, 2014 Well, there's always this option. http://jdm-car-parts.com/collections/body-exterior-parts-nissan-fairlady-z-240z-260z-280z-280zx/products/jdm-genuine-headlight-cover-nos Quote
Lynton Posted August 14, 2014 Posted August 14, 2014 the Perspex in the imported chrome fitted headlight covers with gasket have thicker Perspex and are o/sized compared to normal aftermarket Perspex headlight covers they also have different mounting points on the headlight cowl Lynton Quote
adam Posted August 15, 2014 Author Posted August 15, 2014 Awesome, thanks for the info, Lynton! I'd only ever consider those NOS covers if my car was in similar condition to Mossy's. I am willing to push my budget to ~$600 for a pair. Ridiculous money for head light covers but I think that's what's missing from my front end.. Quote
Old Man Z Posted August 15, 2014 Posted August 15, 2014 Hey Adam , think they might have been the covers I bought ! Have been (slowly) takingMy 260 back to factory ,as close as possible , and went to the the body shop today to see the final touch ups (which included mounting the chrome covers ) and have to say they look fantastic . Just add that little bit of style to what is already a classic shape . Haven't posted any pics of the car yet as it has been seen on the site before and what I have been doing is purely cosmetic but hopefully will be blue slipped and registered by end of the week and will put up some pics then. There was a thread on HybridZ forum that looked encouraging re someone manufacturing new versions of the covers but has gone a bit cold . Might still be worth checking it out . Hope you have success in finding some as they do look pretty damn smart ! Quote
adam Posted August 16, 2014 Author Posted August 16, 2014 It was a good buy mate. I have read the thread you're referring to and have even messaged the guy producing them with no success. I look forward to seeing some pictures Quote
Riceburner Posted August 16, 2014 Posted August 16, 2014 I believe it was Mark Clapp who was reproducing these, he's a member on here and Hybridz. IIRC he was only able to do the G-nose type as an auto clave was required to vacuum form the standard type to the correct shape, the difficult part was the very sharp front corner. Quote
Administrators gav240z Posted August 28, 2014 Administrators Posted August 28, 2014 I am willing to push my budget to ~$600 for a pair. Ridiculous money for head light covers but I think that's what's missing from my front end.. I was going to go to $520 before shipping + broker fee's. http://page16.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u68439894 But as you can see it's at $600+ before shipping and broker fee's. Not cheap.... Quote
adam Posted August 29, 2014 Author Posted August 29, 2014 I was watching that auction, Gav, along with another which I actually bidder on, and lost lol Very expensive.. Quote
adam Posted September 7, 2014 Author Posted September 7, 2014 Purchased a set from Japan, no longer required. Quote
Administrators gav240z Posted September 7, 2014 Administrators Posted September 7, 2014 I think I saw the ones you got too! Good price if I'm correct. Quote
adam Posted September 7, 2014 Author Posted September 7, 2014 They had two minor cracks And awesome price compared to the last two which went last week. Quote
Administrators gav240z Posted September 7, 2014 Administrators Posted September 7, 2014 Yeah I was tempted to bid but recognised the username with the highest bid, so I thought I'd let them slide. I honestly thought they would go for another couple of hundred than what they did. On a positive note given that they had a couple of minor cracks you don't have to get too precious about them now if you get a stone chip etc.. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.