Toecutter

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

Mr C can we get contact details for this Watanabe importer in Australia?

I'm looking at the set on Ebay but if I can get them for $2200 shipped that would be awesome. :twisted:

Hey guys what size are you after, I have a contact that can get them from japan, I'll know prices in about a week but the more the better. There is a 25% deposit payable then the rest on conformation of stock(I think that means once they are loaded on to the ship)

I'm after 16x9.5 offset -19

16x9 offset -13 watanabe

• 1 month later...

Hi

They look like the grey centres with silver surround. I have been thinking about these myself but have only seen the grey and silver in pictures which look great but can't decide whether to risk it or stick to the standard all silver.

Warren

just admit it evan, your a ricer to... haha j/k

ive realised now after talking to a friend, if im spending 2k on rims, might as work a little harder and well spend 4k and get wide fat lighter wantanabes from japan...

anyone know the weight of wantanabe RS, compared to Superlites

If you go to a "fat" Watanabe rim Nate I take it you mean 8 to 9 inch then you'll need a coilover set up to keep them under the guards, $2000??? + the wats adds up to a bit and the thing is at 8 inch I reckon they look like Panasports anyway!?

I think the attraction to Wats is more about the retro appeal than weight. It would be interesting to get some figures on how light they actually are?

• Administrators

I have been given the contact details of a guy who can get Wat's landed here for about $2200 no tyres but still a good price if you ask me. Considering what I was going to pay :roll: .

The contact details of the guy who is able to get them is apprently Miki_Yokohata @ systemsunion.com Miki Yokohata

if anyone wants to organise a group buy let me know because I'm considering quite a few items to buy at the moment.

gav, any idea on what size and type of wats and what condition they were in for the 2200....

Sulio, coilvers i dont want....

Can i fit 16x8 or 9s with the offset of +16, under the guads with stock width size suspension???, as that what suplites offset is

As i don't want 7s at the rear

gav' date=' any idea on what size and type of wats and what condition they were in for the 2200....

Sulio, coilvers i dont want....

Can i fit 16x8 or 9s with the offset of +16, under the guads with stock width size suspension???, as that what suplites offset is

As i don't want 7s at the rear[/quote']

Let me see if I can help out here. You don't want coilovers well you are then limited to about 4.5" of backspace (see pics attached to show what I am talking about). The backspace on my Watanabes are 4.5" approx for both the 16x8.5 (neg 6 offsetup) and the 16x9.5 (neg 19 offset), again see attached pic showing clearance on the front with no coilovers.

So if you want +16 on a 8" that will = 5.1" backspace this will not fit on the front with out coilovers. There is a little more room in the rear as far as backspace goes but I did not check this on my car as I knew the 4.5" was good (I can check this in the weekend if you like :))

So how did I get 5.1" you ask. Well if the rim is 8" then the overall rim width is more like 9" (0.5" for each bead) so a 8" with a 0 offset would be 4.5" Backspace and 4.5" front space. So the +16 add just 0.6" to the backspace = 5.1" as you can see with my 4.5" backspace it just clears the stock perch so this would be a no go. Also 4.5" front space is too much for stock guards also (again see pic attached - my front guard is rolled and there is no spring in this pic just a block of wood holding the wheel just off the guard - so we can design the flare)

In the rear I would say there is about an extra 0.5" of backspace (again depends on your car as it might have been accident sometime so would measure before you order any rims) so a 8" with a +10 maybe +12 might work if the lip is rolled (depends on how low your car is and the spring rate. The guys in Japan that run 16x9.5 -19 with overfenders that don't cut the guards just run a big spring = no movement = no rub)

I would measure, measure and measure then order your rims. To measure use a square and a straight edge. Best way is to bolt the straight to the hub (ensuring it is long enough for the job) then using the square/rule measure the backspace from the hub fact to the spring perch and that is your max backspace (however don't forget to factor in the rim height + planned tyre etc)

I hope some of this helps

post-104-144023470484_thumb.jpg

post-104-144023470489_thumb.jpg

post-104-144023470494_thumb.gif

Here is another pic showing the front on a different angle. So I would say if you went with a 16x8 with a 0 offset and rolled the lip you should be fine with stock guards and spring perches. However please measure before before you purchase any rims to be on the safe side

Cheers

Mike

post-104-144023470503_thumb.jpg

That car of your is coming up nicely Mike!

Nathan why don't you call Performance wheels and ask if they have a 16x8 you could try out on the back of your car. If they happen to have one in their warehouse maybe you could organise something with a deposit of some sort. It beats trial and error. I've always said the superlights in trhe combo of 16x7 front and 16x8 rear would look nice if the rear fits.

yer thats the combo that i want, helps with the rear guards already rolled..... hehe...

i might give it a try, but still got cash laying around after the car purcharse, will be another month till i get the wheels, im extra motivated to go to get cash these days with the new car....

Was working on my car today - had a quick measure in the rear to see how much more room there is for backspace. My rears have the same backspace as the fronts ie 4.5" good news is that there is almost 1" of more space in the rear. So in theory a 8.5" or a 9" with a +12 might work the 8.5" would have 5.2" of backspace with 4.3" front. The 9" would be 5.5" backspace (will be tight) and 4.5" of front space. So the say a 245/45/16 is good for a 8" to 9" rim (I have this size tyre on the 9.5" and it was a bit of strech but does not look too streched) so you could run a 245/45/16 on a 16x9 on the rear with the right offset and rolled lip (my car does have a bit of neg camber in the rear) and a 225/50/16 on a 16x8 again rolled lip 0 offset and some neg camber to ensure the wheel tucks in under the guard :) might be better to go a 7.5" to play it save :)

Hope this helps

Maybe ask Toecutter to check his rear backspace as he is running the same size and offsets as me in the rear but in 17" so if he has an 1" (mine was a bit over) then this might also help confirm the extra room in the back with stock spring perch

Cheers

Mike

It would be interesting to get some figures on how light they actually are?

Here you go: 16x9.5 is 18.5lbs=8.33kg and 16x8.5 is 17.2lbs=7.74 - both for eight spoke r type rims, according to http://www.wheelweights.net/ - a very usefull database. I think thats a very good weight for period rims in such width even by todays standards.