R31 Skyline rear disc conversion

• 4 weeks later...

:o Hey Scoota, is it going to be an irish set up , noticed youv'e got four s/steel lines on show. HaHa. Just beein a smart rse.

Regards: Alan

• 1 month later...

Out of interest i put my R31 calipers next to 280ZX S2 calipers tonight and saw some interesting things

R31 pads are about 25% bigger than the ZX ones.

The S2 calipers will not bolt on to the R31 mounts - ZX S2 mounting holes are closer together. R31 calipers are noticibly bigger.

Hey guys,

I was under the impression that the position of the calipers would affect the balance of the car (brake bias) under braking. Therefore is there some way of determining the ideal position of the caliper from a braking perspective as opposed to a ideal handbrake cable perspective?

I'm not sure where you got that impression from, since if that were the case, then positioning of the caliper around the brake rotor would change it's effective clamping force, which it does not. Put the caliper hanging straight down (6 o'clock), and the clamping force will be the same as if it were straight up (12 o'clock), this means that braking ability of that wheel/tire/corner of the car is not affected by caliper position, which can't affect brake bias.

Now, there is some thought on overall weight balance of the car. Hanging the caliper behind the rear wheel, will place more weight distributed to the rear than if they were positioned on the same wheel towards the front, but we are talking like ounces of difference, that 99% of us would never really need to worry about.

There is also some thought of water shedding. In a wet condition, water, if it comes in contact with the brake rotor will be flung to the outside of the rotor, and a majority will usually collect near the bottom, even when spinning. This will then get flung from the rotor behind the wheel, due to rotation of the rotor and gravity's effect on objects with mass. Getting the caliper and brake pads out of this area, will reduce how much water will get on the calipers and more importantly onto the pads, that could affect the braking ability of that wheel. Again, this is something that most of us will never really need to worry about.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

I'm having trouble locating someone to weld up the holes on the brackets, hone out the centre to 86mm and cut them to sit between 9 and 11 o'clock for my Zed.  Preferably on the Northside of Brisbane, or I could probably post them to someone who has done this mod or a workshop they used. 

Roughly how much does this rear bracket fab cost?

Cheers

Luke

• 5 weeks later...

Scoota, could you take some pics of your rear brake setup please.  In particular the orientation of the caliper and the handbrake setup.  I finally got around to getting those brackets done.  Found a great bloke locally with a C&C mill, made it a breeze.

Cheers

Luke 

I'll do a short video and put it on utube. Simon M will love that.

Come on Scoota, my grinder is awaiting your video. ;)

Now should I mount them at 12 o'clock or at 10 o'clock towards the front using the opposite sides caliper???  I'm sure a nice video could solve this  ;D

Cheers mate

Perfect mate.  I've done one side and I must say I think the next will be much easier after working out the grinded angle bits on the strut so the bracket sits flush.  I'll take some good photos to post here to explain this part better for the other guys heading into this mod.

Cheers Scoota  ;D

Oh bugger, my bad. I'll do it this evening. But yes mount towards front as they will foul the strut tower at 12 o'clock.

Mine don't :)

I'd take some more recent photo's but the rear end is currently apart (well almost - I have a stub-axle nut that refuses to let go) for my Z31 CV conversion.

(attached is one from 2001!)

post-11-144023653949_thumb.jpg