Factory Colours And Years Of Production/availability

cracker

I've been doing a bit of reading of the early girl thread and of the minor differences in the 240z models in particular and it seems as though certain colours were only available during early production.

Have there been any solid conclusions made (or is any reliable info available) on which colours were available during which years? I'm interested personally in Australian delivered models but global info would certainly be useful for others, I'm sure...

Cheers

JP

• Administrators

Pretty sure colour changes were the same across markets. There is a lot of colours to cover, also some markets got colours that others didn't. Like GP Maroon on the 240ZG. But that is more exception than rule.

This is a good starting point but it's not the whole story.

http://www.zhome.com/History/ZColorGallary/

The earlier colours (69-71) tended to be:

905 Red

920 Gold

918 Orange

907 Green

903 Blue

901 Silver

904 White

It seems that around the 71 date range they introduced:

919 - Yellow

112 - Yellow/Lime

Then later on in 72+

110 red

115 Blue metallic

Around late 72/73

113 Green metallic

114 Brown metallic

That's just my observation..

Pretty sure colour changes were the same across markets. There is a lot of colours to cover, also some markets got colours that others didn't. Like GP Maroon on the 240ZG. But that is more exception than rule.

This is a good starting point but it's not the whole story.

http://www.zhome.com/History/ZColorGallary/

The earlier colours (69-71) tended to be:

905 Red

920 Gold

918 Orange

907 Green

903 Blue

901 Silver

904 White

It seems that around the 71 date range they introduced:

919 - Yellow

112 - Yellow/Lime

Then later on in 72+

110 red

115 Blue metallic

Around late 72/73

113 Green metallic

114 Brown metallic

That's just my observation..

Thanks Gav, yep I reckon you are pretty close, if not spot on! I reckon harder to establish would be when each colour was phased out... I can't remember seeing late cars with 907/918/920 but not sure if that means that they weren't available or if the colour just went out of vogue!

This might be of some interest...an old Dulux colour guide from 1974. I only have a copy of the cover and one page of Datsun colours...it covers the whole Datsun range not just 240Z's

Thanks Peter, that's great! Do you know which of these colours lined up with Datsun colours? I don't see any colour codes that I recognise as zed colours. None of their greens in 1970 match up with the "907" that we know which seems confusing given it appears to be a datsun chart?

Where have you been hiding that?

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/12178-datsun-greygray-paint/

It looks like some of those shades of gray might be the original hubcap and rear garnish trim colour?

I didn't hide it as well as the colour formula that I had done locally for my hubcaps etc....luckily

A friend in Canberra had the original and copied those pages when I bought the Z that I have now...he highlighted  112 which was the colour of the 240z that I bought in 1973.

I've asked him to try and find the document and send me all the Datsun pages.

Thanks Gav, yep I reckon you are pretty close, if not spot on! I reckon harder to establish would be when each colour was phased out... I can't remember seeing late cars with 907/918/920 but not sure if that means that they weren't available or if the colour just went out of vogue!

Thanks Peter, that's great! Do you know which of these colours lined up with Datsun colours? I don't see any colour codes that I recognise as zed colours. None of their greens in 1970 match up with the "907" that we know which seems confusing given it appears to be a datsun chart?

That's all I have......some of the colours don't have the Datsun colour code next to them...perhaps they might be the ones....

This was done by Dulux Australia so I guess the colours were all used here at some time.

Found this in the RHD parts manual under touch up paint....shows 907 up to 08/71

also asked the parts man at my local dealer if he can find any thing...he's  been very helpful in the past....

post-101020-0-30382600-1473125015_thumb.jpg

post-101020-0-16294000-1473125152_thumb.jpg

I had these in landscape when I added them...can you rotate them Gav ??

Edited by PeterH

Found this in the RHD parts manual under touch up paint....shows 907 up to 08/71

also asked the parts man at my local dealer if he can find any thing...he's  been very helpful in the past....

attachicon.gifCCF06092016_00003.jpg

attachicon.gifCCF06092016_00004.jpg

I had these in landscape when I added them...can you rotate them Gav ??

That's a good find! Interesting there are no dates for some of the other colours

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Administrators
On 2/12/2017 at 9:10 PM, richard260 said:

I didny know that a zed come out in purple never seen one must be rare colour

Not sure if this link will work?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheZGang/permalink/1861340270567769/

I believe that "purple" is the wine red colour, which I've also seen on 2+2's here.

@Léon had a 260z 2+2 in that shade many years ago.

I test drove 1 with a black vinyl roof in the late 90s, didn't buy it because I didn't like the vinyl roof, despite having a blast going for a drive in it. Now I wish I had it!

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 3.11.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 3.12.08 PM.png