Bathurst

Quandary

No problems Quandary,

The 240Z was a works car it seems, as I said the records say it was entered by "Datsun Racing Team" most probably a combined Datsun Dealers Team, similar to the olf "HDT" which you may want to contact Nissan Australia, they may have more info.

If you do find anything out keep us all in the loop.

Cheers

John

The Datsun Racing Team was the brainchild of  Datsun Motor Co  Mr George Denner. Sponsored by Nissan it operated from John Roxburg Motors in Grant Street South Melbourne 

I sometimes deliver parts to a security doors place that is next to Gordon's factory and have asked them if they see him. They say from time to time he drops in but his factory now is used for storage. Found out those pics of an early zed that I posted that belonged to a sandblaster in Mordialloc was bought by Gordon Dobie. I'll post it again to save you searching for it. Not sure if that was ever raced at Bathurst; was more like a sports sedan than production spec. Oh, found two zeds that ran at Le Mans..in 75/76? Nice history...

Hi Demitri

Can you send me copies of these photo's please. datcar54@hotmail.com

Cheers

Gordon 

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

As a guest on this site and having worked for John Roxburgh as his accountant in the 1970's when the business was located at 101 York Street South Melbourne. I may be able to add more to the Bathurst 260Z story.

John entered 260Z in the 1975 Bathurst Race with paper work confirming that the interior space measurements for a Belgium specification car complied with the rules. It was something to do with stamping of the rear of the floor plan to prove the was sufficient rear passenger height between the floor and roof. 

I was a timekeeper for John at the 1975 Bathurst race and remember that during practise when Doug Whiteford was behind the wheel he chose the wrong gear when changing down and more than one valve was bent. The cylinder head was replaced with the one from the car I had used to get there from Melbourne. The reason for the retirement so early in the race was that the car had the standard crankshaft pulley / harmonic balancer fitted and not the Factory competition part. I well remember the factory technical rep shaking his head when shown the broken part. Perhaps overheating was the explanation offered at the time. A bit like the story of Graham Hill's Lotus 15 at Le Mans retiring with generator problems after a conrod has punched a hole in the side of the block. I can't remember if Geoff Perry ever got behind the wheel. Another piece of History Geoff's father drove a Studebaker Lark for the Police Motor Sports Team.

After Bathurst the 260Z returned to the workshop and the roll bar was removed and standard wheels were refitted. It was then sold as a ex demo to a lovely lady who never knew of its brief racing history. 

In a earlier post mentioned is made of the aluminium sump, from memory that had steel flaps to minimise oil surge. John was horrified at its cost from Nissan and tried to return it but as it was a special order he was left with it. There was also a special cylinder head with large ports that memory was sold to Roger Bonhome the owner of Dat Spares.     

• Administrators

Thanks for joining!

On 4/21/2020 at 2:25 PM, Austin7 said:

After Bathurst the 260Z returned to the workshop and the roll bar was removed and standard wheels were refitted. It was then sold as a ex demo to a lovely lady who never knew of its brief racing history.

Wow, that's interesting. So it may still be out there! Be a good find, if only we knew the chassis no.

On 4/21/2020 at 2:25 PM, Austin7 said:

There was also a special cylinder head with large ports that memory was sold to Roger Bonhome the owner of Dat Spares. 

Interesting, I wonder if that was the "Safari Head" for an L-series engine?

Seen at the end of this post.

• 10 months later...