Jim's 71Z

acf321

I found this car in the 2005 National's photo database and wonder if anyone knows Jim?

I like the colour, and as it does not look like the standard factory 918 orange, I'm wondering if anyone

can point me in the direction of the owner (presumably Jim) to ask myself.

post-1307-144023529861_thumb.jpg

This car was front page feature on Aust Classic car magazine around 3-4 years ago (i'll check the mag when I get home)..

from memory the owner is called James, he runs an engine rebuilding workshop in either Brookvale or Dee Why in Sydneys Northern beaches, the car competes in local track circuits...The engine bay is to die for !!

I think so......you need to wait 4 more hours & I'll have your answer  :-X

from memory the car picked up some major awards at the 2005 Goulburn Nationals..

edit..

yes it is James Flett, M.I.A engine services in Dee Why...the magazine was dated Dec05.

• Administrators

I like the colour, and as it does not look like the standard factory 918 orange.

Yeah I took the photos of that car :). It was stunning to see in person and I'm almost 100% sure its the original colour. He went to great lengths to restore the car to original condition with a hot l24 and triple carbs.

This car was front page feature on Aust Classic car magazine around 3-4 years ago (i'll check the mag when I get home)..

from memory the owner is called James, he runs an engine rebuilding workshop in either Brookvale or Dee Why in Sydneys Northern beaches, the car competes in local track circuits...The engine bay is to die for !!

Yeah in the same mag there was an engine rebuilding shop advertised which was his business. I recall him speaking to someone about the heart break he had with a panel beater and that prompted him to pull it out of the shop and work on it himself with a friend. It came up looking better than new.

@acf321 - If you are thinking of going that colour on your Zed I would definitely approve :).

Thanks Gav ,,, thanks for that ... its a super looking car it really is .. not sure what specifically makes it so, but it does look excellent. I am starting to get lots of thoughts that given the cost of my project, and the fact that it was originally orange, then maybe thats the way it should be ,,, and this car is just the inspiration i need to make it so.

Gav, you do not specifically confirm, but do you know if this IS infact James Flett's car? If so, I was talking to him the other week and he suggested I chase up a original 240Z motor and make a hot one of those for my car ... Just spoke to Pauly tonight who also confirmed he has the same setup and is more than chuffed with his performance (when it goes !!).

I took out the factory seats today and had a look as well ... they need a good clean up, but once re-furbed would look excellent.

Can you confirm the owner is infact James Flett Gav?

Cheers

Adam

I should say just to be clear, not that you need my approval of course ;).

Hey adam, he is the boss....So it's all good now.lol

See you tomorrow and Peter (mpr69) coming down to meet you aswell.

• Administrators

edit..

yes it is James Flett, M.I.A engine services in Dee Why...the magazine was dated Dec05.

Can you confirm the owner is infact James Flett Gav?

I have the same article at home (In Australia) as Chris and its definitely the same car. So if the article says its James Flett it must be. I must admit the name is very familiar, but I'm going off memory now.

FWIW the car went really really well on the track, infact many of the RB Z's were not as quick as James on the track at Wakefield Park.

It also made an amazing noise with those Solex carbs on it.

* Here are the other shots of the same car.

normal_ZNationals2005-033.jpg

normal_ZNationals2005-039.jpg

normal_ZNationals2005-040.jpg

normal_ZNationals2005-041.jpg

normal_ZNationals2005-045.jpg

Hey Gav, or anyone for that matter ... are these wheels Panasports on Jim's car? I can't see them properly from the photo and I don't have the article to read. Anyone tell me the brand and size if they know?

Cheers

• Administrators

James was out at Oran Park today at the FOSC meeting with the car which is actually for sale as we speak!!

Any idea of asking price?

for sale huh....let me see how much $ I have lying about in the centre console  ::)

I loved that zed the moment I got the magazine. He did say in the write-up article that the zed was too way too "pretty" to throw around a track.

Maybe someone can ask him If he wants to post it up here for sale...