What type of media to use in a blaster

Cozza

Hi guys, I have a Super Cheap sand blasting cabinet and currently use the Super Cheap sand in it but it is so dusty that I can't see in the window. Its only seen about 10 hours of use and the filter is already blocked so the dust pumps out the door seal and makes me look like a minstrel.

I'm wondering if this is normal or if the Super Cheap sand is just super crap. Or maybe it's the cabinet?

What type of media do you guys recommend, and where do I get it from?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mick

I use the super cheap sand and it works fine. But i run lower pressure on the gun and take my time blasting as it is quite a fine particle.

Are you using the grey sand in the white bucket they sell? Also a degreaser gun works well for sand blasting aswell.

Ask your local industrial supplies (BJ Bearings, AIS, etc) for a 20kg bag of 'Garnet'. It's much more effective than the crap from Supersh|t Auto...

Change it when the dust starts to impede vision & you'll never have a problem.

I don't know what the cabinet is like that you're using, but I'm used to industrial type blasters.

Poor visibility is due to poor extraction. What is the set up like?

You say the filter gets blocked........ Clean it!

What sort of blasting are you doing? Rust/paint removal or cleaning up?

I used a coarse garnet for roughing down.

Then fine sand/glass for fine work.

I'd also like yo try soda blasting as I've heard great things. Glass or sand, you need to clean EVERYTHING. Doda is biodegradable, so doesn't matter so much.

Thanks for the input Fellas.

Here's a link to the media I'm using now, I don't think it's sand but to be honest I've got no idea. http://m.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Norton-Air-Sand-Blast-Gun-Grit-10kg/106800

Here's a link to the cabinet. I think it is a similar setup to an industrial one, no extraction though, just a filter on the air outlet on the side of the cabinet mind you it is from Super Cheap so you can't expect too much. I blow out the filter every 5 minutes or so but it is just too blocked and needs replacing, which I will do when I get some new media. I will definitely try lowering the pressure, at the moment I'm running about 80psi.

http://m.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Sandblast-Cabinet-Table-Top/285583

Generally I have used it for paint and rust removal on suspension items, getting ready for repainting.

So is there different grades of garnet, should I get a coarse grade for my type of work?

Thanks again

Mick

I have the same cabinet.  I agree completely with Lurchos about the Supercheap stuff being crap.  When doing aluminium, it leaves it almost black with sand/dust partilces that then have to scrubbed off.

I bought some garnet from BJ Bearings.  Not only is it much better than the black crap, but it is much cheaper (as you buy a 20kg bag).

The crappy filter still blocks up really quickly, so I took it off.  I hooked an old vaccuum cleaner into the hole and it works a treat.  You need a cleaner with variale suction, or it sucks the gloves in when your not actually blasting.  I have it set up so I simply open/close that little vent thingy on the hand-grip (the wife says it's for doing curtains or something - but she was impressed that I knew it was called a vaccuum cleaner).

I also ran some rubber door weather seal around the edges to help further prevent the 'minstrel' look.

I would recommend one of these to anyone.  They are not perfect and will need some minor changes to work the way you want.

Having said that, my light globe has blown and I can't work out how to get the globe out.  Any ideas?

MaygZ

I don't know Simon.  How many coppers with limited conflict resolution skills does it take to change a light bulb while you walk to work as your car has a canary and you've lost your licence?

I don't know Simon.  How many coppers with limited conflict resolution skills does it take to change a light bulb while you walk to work as your car has a canary and you've lost your licence?

The answer is none.

Cos he's clearly got a legion of minions, climbing over each other to do it for him?

• 3 months later...

The crappy filter still blocks up really quickly, so I took it off.  I hooked an old vaccuum cleaner into the hole and it works a treat.  You need a cleaner with variale suction, or it sucks the gloves in when your not actually blasting.  I have it set up so I simply open/close that little vent thingy on the hand-grip (the wife says it's for doing curtains or something - but she was impressed that I knew it was called a vaccuum cleaner).

Hey Maygz, I know it's been a while but any chance you could post a pic or maybe describe how you attached the vac, I've pulled the filter off mine now but can't find a good attachment to connect the vac to the box.

Cheers Mate.

Mick

Mick,

the shed's a mess at the moment and I haven't unpacked the blaster since I got home.

I simply took the filter off the blaster cabinet, took the metal extension off the vacuum and put the hose of the vacuum cleaner into the hole.  I put a couple of laps of electrical tape around the tube so it was a neater fit.  It really was that simple.  You don't need a very strong suction, so one of the very cheap ones (or an old one) is all that is needed.  I bought the cheapest one from Kmart they had and it does the job well.

If you really need a photo send me a PM and I'll try and get some room in the shed and set it up for you.

MaygZ

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to getting some GMA SpeedBlast garnet. It is so much better than the Supercheap blasting grit, no dust, no mess. I should have done it ages ago.

I have connected the vac as well but to be honest I'm not sure I need it now, I will get a new filter, then see if the vac is necessary.

Any suggestions on how to clean the scratches from the Perspex window? Cue TT Aero here.

(I am using a piece of replaceable clear plastic on the window but it is still pretty scratched up.)

Thanks for your help Fellas.