Central locking custom made?

stevo_gj

Hey guys,

Just took my car to Auto Barn and they told me that I can't install central locking unless I get someone to do a custom job for a lot of $$$.

Basically the lock shaft is too large and clamping onto it would require it to be made thinner at a point.

Also they said there is no where to mount the motor because the window is too close to the inside of the door.

I'm trying to put it onto a 75 260 2 seater.

Has anyone had success with this before? I found an old thread where Sulio said he had done it, but I don't know if I could replicate this myself.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,177.0.html is where this was discussed previously.

i had the same issue but i did it myself.

all you do is "CAREFULLY" drill the joining block to the size that suits the Z.

having it in a vice with bench drill helps a lot. drill on medium speed if it bites it will crack the joining block. killed one myself. but i had 4 door kit so i could afford stuff ups.

not sure how it is on 2 seater on 2+2 you can remove the linkages clamp it all and than return back to the door. (once you work out to what position u need to lock it into)

they are correct for the motor being close but there is 2 spots you can do it too. i mounted mine on the inside about the level of the door latch. since i still dont have door trims ill take a pic and post it.

i will check on my 240z  to see if its similar.

My central locking works great. The motor is located along the inside bottom of the door. Even put in electric windows. So there was room for both and never had a problem.

So yes it can be done just find someone with half a brain who will actually take an interest in what you are tying to do. Being in Brisbane no use passing on details to my guy. Cheers

matty260z thats fantastic! I live in the next suburb over (clayfield) so I can just drive down when I get the chance.

Pictures would be great rbz260

Very helpful advice guys, I knew it wasn't impossible. And the thing is, the guy at Autobarn was assuring me that his fitter had 18 years of experience in the job and wouldn't hurt my car. You'd think with 18 years on the job he could do something as simple as this  >:( Wasted my whole day and a favor from a freind who came to pick me up.

here are some pics.

pretty much what i explained above drill the slotted hole to size that suits the Z. though this is on the 2+2 which has 2 gazzilion extra linkages for the back handle. i think if anything should be simpler on the 2 seater.

post-205-144023491064_thumb.jpg

post-205-144023491071_thumb.jpg

well the bloke at autobahn as usual is a fool, i have a black widdow kit in my 260z 2+2 that i installed. any kit will do because the actuators are the same, as for for fitting a central locking kit it took me nearly 4.5 hours to get the actuators in the wright spots so if i can get my door trims off ill send u a pic but be warned you will have less than 1mm between the moving parts of the window and the actuators so you will still haveto figet with it for a bit.

cheers pauly

• Moderators

I sometimes think installers quote some huge stupid price to scare you off because they don't want to do the job. I said yes to a stereo installation in a 280ZX a while ago, and I think that will be my last one! Not impossible, but a pain in the rectum!

• 4 weeks later...

Well I went to Northfield car sound in Nundah (Brisbane) and got quoted $580 to give me central locking and a security system that has an immobiliser all fitted up next Tuesday. They took the door panel off and test fitted the locks actuators while I was there to ensure it would all fit and the guy doing it owns a few old cars himself so he knows how to treat them. Overall I have been impressed so far (except for the price  :P) and will post a review once its all in.

i put my central locking in myself. (not a stretched taxi ;D)

the brass block that it attaches to the rod was the right size hole, just the slotted bit wasnt big enough.

I simply filed the locking rod a bit smaller on one side, just a bit higher than the block was going to sit, slid it on, and slid it down and onto the locking actuator rod.

tightened the screws, and hey presto, central locking.

my actuators sit down in the corners of the door too.

I found it beneficial to shave off the mounting ponts off the outer side of the actuator, to clear the window frame as it goes up and down.

yea, definatley short on space.

I would have posted this sooner, but I've been incredibly sick and couldn't really sit at the computer for long periods.

Had central locking put in by Northfield on tuesday, and its been fantastic. They adjusted the shock sensor so it was slightly less sensitive, and all the parts are very well disguised, except for a little red LED they taped to the dash that blinks when the alarm is on.

I paid 180 for the installation of central locking on both doors and then 400 for the installation of the security system, I have the basic immobiliser, shock sensor etc. I have not driven the car since due to being sick, but every time I walk past it I hit the button a couple times because like a kid I want to hear it beep and lock itself  ;D

If the door is not fully closed, then it cannot be locked as you all know. When my door is not fully closed it tries to lock, then beeps a warning to let me know I must close it then lock it. I'm pretty happy with it overall.

• 1 year later...

Ok bring this one back from the dead - rather than starting a new thread when I will be talking about the same topic.

Anyway I am doing the wiring in my car so I thought I would add some wires for an alarm and keyless entry. So I started to do some digging on fitting door lock actuators to the doors. My finders were the zeds have limited space for the actuator and they are a tight fit. So I started looking for different size units.

1. Most after market door actuators are the gun type - pics for reference attached below

2. These gun types are some 4" long in the body where the motor is so are around 6" overall.

3. I managed to find manufactures in China/Taiwan who made smaller square units (like the ones fitted to some Renault). However these had min orders from 1000 units to 2000 units = not for me.

4. I found a unit in the US call Omega DS2-SQ (sometimes by Excalibur) these are much smaller at only 4" overall but only have short stroke of 6mm

So the hunt was still on. So I checked on this site again and notice a few mentioned a company call Black Widow. So I visited their website and spotted  they have one of the compact square units with a longer stroke much like the manufactures I find in China/Taiwan (varying from 18mm to 21mm). However the Black Widow site has them down as $59 USD each. So I looked some more and I have some coming to NZ so I can check the size out etc. Cost is $11.25 USD each - and they are the same unit as the Black Widow compact - shipping was more than the units I need (2) so I ordered 4 so I will have spares should one ever fail.

Once I get them here I will compare with the gun type for sizing etc. But I hope these are smaller and will fit the zed doors a little better.

post-104-144023556816_thumb.jpg

post-104-144023556817_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

NZeder how did you go with these?

were the compact actuators strong enough to push the linkages around?

Don't know mate the doors are hanging up in the rafters in the garage with no windows, frame, regulator or locks installed. I think I might have to take some time off work and spend some solid time on the car again :(

• 7 months later...