stevofoxono Posted January 19, 2013 Posted January 19, 2013 Hi All, I'm driving down to Victoria starting from the 23rd, I'm thinking of going inland on the way and going coastal on the way back (So I can explore/have a bit of fun without worrying about piggys to much) I'll be in Vic probably around Melbourne or just lower for a bit over a week, I'm not really the shopping type. What's there to do down there? Are there any interestingdrives/scenic mountain roads/ car meet ups to go to? Any landmarks I should go see? Also any cheap/good hotel rooms anyone recommends? Cheers Quote
Scoota G Posted January 19, 2013 Posted January 19, 2013 Well it's off peak so accomodation will be cheap. Perhaps if people here give you feedback first on where to drive then you can get a better idea where you're going to stay. Definitely drive The Great Ocean Road. I think lLorne to Apollo Bay is the best. You can also check out the Twelve Apostles if you want to drive a bit further. Quote
chris240 Posted January 19, 2013 Posted January 19, 2013 If you come down early March, you may be able to catch up with all the zeds going to the town of Bright for our gettaway Quote
Moderators PB260Z Posted January 19, 2013 Moderators Posted January 19, 2013 Gidday, If you decide to travel an inland route it is well worth the effort to get onto the Snowy Mountains Highway, lots of fast sweeping corners in the high country. Enjoy PB Quote
Retro Z Posted January 19, 2013 Posted January 19, 2013 There are some nice sandy 'swimming' beaches on the peninsula eg. Rye,Sorrento or Phillip Island. Some decent ones even closer to Melb (Frankston, edithvale, black rock) Some nice scenary and some quiet adventurous driving roads around Mount Macedon/Trentham (60+kms west of CBD) and great ocean road as Scoota suggested is a must. Also Studley park has some nice driving roads also. Honestly if your not the fine dining or nightclubing/pub type there is not much to do after 7pm... Try not to get accomodation too close to Melbourne CBD as it will be very expensive. Quote
PZG302 Posted January 20, 2013 Posted January 20, 2013 I wouldn't bother, it's just full of Victorians......... And they don't have proper footy on the tele, only that game where 36 blokes in tank tops rub up against each other on an empty cricket field........ In all seriousness, the roads around Bright and down to Lakes Entrance are fun and Lakes Entrance was a great spot when I was there a couple of years ago for a couple of days work. As said the great ocean road is worth doing to say you've driven it, but try to do it duriing the week to minimise traffic. And if you've got the time drop in and annoy the usual suspects on here, great way to save on accommodation..... Quote
stevofoxono Posted January 20, 2013 Author Posted January 20, 2013 I've found some places that are sub $140 a night, tossing up between having a apartment Mount Waverley for 10 days down with a garage or staying high up in a nice looking hotel ~Rydges Hotel Bell City I'll definitely pencil in The Great Ocean Road, Apart from a music festival friday and possibly spending some time with a lady friend on the weekend my days are looking pretty quiet so I'll hit it up during the week. I'll be around Melbourne till the 7th/8th, When's the meet up at Bright? I'm planning on going inland on the way and coastal on the way back, Will definitely hit up the snowy mt highway Mount Macedon/Trentham sounds like a plan aswell May knock back a few beers, 3 days into the trip I'll be on my opens so 2 beers in the first hour and 1 beer every after sounds the go haha Quote
PeterAllen Posted January 20, 2013 Posted January 20, 2013 You should try to attend this one day - not like normal race meeting, here you get to wander around the pits (paddock). There should be a few Zeds running. http://www.vhrr.com/phillip_island.htm http://www.vhrr.com/Competitor-list-PI-2012.pdf Quote
Scoota G Posted January 20, 2013 Posted January 20, 2013 Mount Macedon/Trentham sounds like a plan aswell May knock back a few beers, 3 days into the trip I'll be on my opens so 2 beers in the first hour and 1 beer every after sounds the go haha Myself and a couple of Ballarat Boys did the Trentham run yesterday. Great food in Daylesford too. Highly recommended. Quote
chris240 Posted January 20, 2013 Posted January 20, 2013 Make sure you go to stalactites restaurant in the city....best thing about Melbourne. I still have dreams about the yeros and the chargrilled souvlaki..... :'( Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.