saxon Posted June 24, 2011 Author Posted June 24, 2011 I hate to state the obvious but as cool as these cars look aesthetically when this low and wide. Practically when you drive on the roads and try and avoid every pot hole it's not so fun. I just hope you realise it's going to scrape and smack into everything? Not trying to kill your dream or anything, but have you ever driven a car this low? It's also going to destroy the underside of the car, which might be ok if you don't mind the repair bills but most Z's are pretty tired now and rusty underneath so you could be driving like Fred Flintstone yabadaba dooo! if you get my drift? Not to mention you could end up destroying the handling going too low. Given your control arms will be at different angles (causing bump stop) and your struts could bottom out / not have enough travel. I don't know if you are thinking of coil-overs or not? But it would be a good idea, that way you can drop it on it's arse for photos or what have you and raise it again for driving on the street? Be positive dude! We all have a dream of how we want our car to look. My dream is just slightly less practical than everyone elses. I'll make it work... somehow. Quote
luvemfast Posted June 24, 2011 Posted June 24, 2011 Seen these guys recommened elsewhere. http://www.newaywheelrepairs.com.au/profile.html Quote
saxon Posted June 24, 2011 Author Posted June 24, 2011 Seen these guys recommened elsewhere. http://www.newaywheelrepairs.com.au/profile.html Couldn't find anything about buying wheels on that site. Couldn't see anything beyond repairs and maintenance. Cheers. Quote
luvemfast Posted June 24, 2011 Posted June 24, 2011 Try calling them and speaking with someone. I have heard they can do custom jobs. Quote
NZeder Posted June 25, 2011 Posted June 25, 2011 15x9 -10 will sit the same as a 10 +2 But at 10 +2 you will have spring perch and strut clearance issues vs the 9 -10 which will have 1" less backspace. This will help - stock spring perches you need around 4.5-4.6" backspace to be safe. Coil overs depends on the length of springs you run (a hard 8" aka 200mm should sit above the wheel) but 5.25" is the largest I have heard of. http://www.autolounge.net/calculators/tirespacing.html Quote
saxon Posted June 27, 2011 Author Posted June 27, 2011 Yeah was looking at 10 with a decent amount of negative offset, not +2. I have been using http://www.willtheyfit.com/ and comparing wheel/tyre combinations to what has been on cars I like, to check that everything is possible and will look similar to what I want. It gives me a nice little picture of what they will look like. So I don't think I should run into any problems now in terms of getting wheels that don't fit. Quote
Agno Posted July 1, 2011 Posted July 1, 2011 I would maybe recommend using some cheap wheels with known offsets and then using spacers to make them sit the way you want. That way you can very cheaply see what your optimum offsets are. Just don't drive on the street on 40mm worth of spacer Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.