will a fs5c71b gear box take the power from a ls1

red76z

Still looking 4 a 6 speed box to suit the ls1. But I am wondering if the original 5 speed z box will take the hp that the ls1 will put out. It seems to take the 180-200hp from the p76 but will it survive the 300-400hp from a ls1.  I have looked every where and I cannot find max hp ratings 4 the 5 speed. I would appreciate any feed back.

regards red76z

UPDATED:

The torque will kill it. I have read on a some 240SX and other S13/14 sites that say the 71C are good for about 350HP from the SR20DET/CA18DET but they are 4 cylinders not 8 so I think it would not last that long. And that is a 71C no a 71B :(

How big is your budget? Get a RB25DET box if you want a Nissan box or just save the $$ and get  new Tremec (I think around $4000AUD new - but then you need bellhousing etc) ie a TKO 600 good for 600lb/ft and get the ratios you want too boot - but not cheap if you are only thinking $1000 for the trans + clutch. However you would want a good clutch too so that would be close to $1000 if you go twin plate 7.25 - the with a Tremec and Chev they are cheaper than getting Nissan splined Twin Plates from the likes of Tilton, PowerTrain, Quartermaster etc.

it will take the power no troubles, but the torque it will not.

you would be better to use the 71c out of latter models but torque will still snap them in a few spirited uses / applications.

would suggest a tremec t56 or getrag or supra as the g/box's main case is smaller and easier to squeeze into the tunnel, also you will need to consider what type of g/box x-member mounting you have ie ears or bolt from under, the ear types make it even toghter than the earlier bolt upward type.

just some things to consider.......

nat0

I have an old Tremec 5 (TKO 3550) Speed you can have for $500.00. Gears a bit worn but worked no worries in my car before paying $4,000- for a new one. Can even have the old drive shaft to suit 2+2 cause I'm a good bloke. This will get you going for a year or two before requiring a new one or working out an alternative. No belhousing though. I used my old one. PM if interested.

Cheers

• 3 months later...