240ZBUILTBYME

The Bushing Kit Thread

Hi all

I was trying to find a definitive bushing kit thread but couldn't seem to find anything using the search bar

Is there an accepted best on ground for Polyurethane Bushing Kits? Or is it a case of same same for all the majors?

I am obviously a loooooooooooong way off needing a bushing kit but thought Id start my research.

Im currently looking at the:

• T3 PROTHANE kit costs $165 USD 
  • Z car depot Energy Bushing Kit $218 USD 

Energy suspension kit seems to be very popular in the US of A. 

Anybody had any Australian experience with either kit or recommend the kit they used? 

Ryan

Edited by 240ZBUILTBYME

21 hours ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

I am obviously a loooooooooooong way off needing a bushing kit but thought Id start my research.

Keep a spreadsheet or something similar of all the alternatives you come across when  researching  and add prices and comments along the way. Makes it so much easier when it comes to decision time.

4 hours ago, KatoKid said:

Keep a spreadsheet or something similar of all the alternatives you come across when  researching  and add prices and comments along the way. Makes it so much easier when it comes to decision time.

I’ve started a spreadsheet (coz I’m that kinda guy...) with parts needed, jobs to do and total costs, but I’ve just been chucking in the brands/suppliers I’m leaning towards so far. But Probably a good idea to add more options and comments as you say. Cheers for the hot tip! What kit did you use? 

On 9/16/2020 at 10:38 AM, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

Is there an accepted best on ground for Polyurethane Bushing Kits?

Are polyurethane bushes better than the OEM ones for the front/rear lower control arms?

1 hour ago, AndBir said:

Are polyurethane bushes better than the OEM ones for the front/rear lower control arms?

I haven’t read anything yet a regarding oem rear/front lower control bushes. The only ones I have read that people recommend oem over polyurethane bushings are: 

- one side of the the tension rods bushings so your tension rods don’t snap

- the moustache bar bushing to reduce NVH

- engine mounts to reduce NVH

Obviously if you value performance over lower levels of NVH then you would go urethane. Anybody able to verify the above as truth, as I am only repeating what I have read so far on the interwebs... 

4 hours ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

What kit did you use? 

I used genuine Nissan throughout. Not a fan of poly bushes on a road car

52 minutes ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

Obviously if you value performance

And for road driving, most of this seems to relate to steering responsiveness with urethane bushes on the steering rack and coupling (?maybe the front LCA bushes?) giving a much more direct feel.

As for the rest (without having had a direct comparison) I feel the OEM/rubber would be a better option for road use.

That being said, I did use some front sway bar link pin bushes for the vx, vy, vz Commodore and they worked very well 

For the rear LCA bushes, I went with the OEM from PartsForNissans

2 hours ago, KatoKid said:

I used genuine Nissan throughout. Not a fan of poly bushes on a road car

Wow, very interesting, I thought you definitely would have had poly bushings to handle all that m3 power! 

Ive personally never had poly bushings on my road cars. I hear they can be noisy if not greased up. 

Would be interesting to know whether most cars are running oems or poly, I just took it for granted everyone installed polyurethane. 

Ryan 

1 hour ago, AndBir said:

And for road driving, most of this seems to relate to steering responsiveness with urethane bushes on the steering rack and coupling (?maybe the front LCA bushes?) giving a much more direct feel.

As for the rest (without having had a direct comparison) I feel the OEM/rubber would be a better option for road use.

That being said, I did use some front sway bar link pin bushes for the vx, vy, vz Commodore and they worked very well 

For the rear LCA bushes, I went with the OEM from PartsForNissans

Ok interesting so did you go polys just for the steering links/rack?

So Andy you went oems throughout as well? 

Ryan 

11 hours ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

So Andy you went oems throughout as well? 

I used rubber bushes (mostly OEM) other than those for the sway bar mounts.

11 hours ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

Ok interesting so did you go polys just for the steering links/rack?

Very hard to find a set of rubber steering rack mount bushes now, so polyurethane seems the only option.