Spartan Warrior Posted May 12, 2008 Posted May 12, 2008 I run a 260z 2+2 with a vented bonnet is this bonnet applicable to this model only or does the 260z have them too? I take it that the vents are to aid cooling? cheers Quote
Moderators Zedman240® Posted May 12, 2008 Moderators Posted May 12, 2008 The fluted bonnets were made for the late 260Z and 2+2, 76?-77+. If you have the "D" shape door latches, you should have a fluted bonnet. I run one on my 240, to keep under bonnet temps down. It helps alot. Quote
Spartan Warrior Posted May 12, 2008 Author Posted May 12, 2008 Zedman240, thank you, my car is 1977 and has the handles that you describe, the reason I asked the question is that I like a certain off white car that I have seen, I am also stuck between either a 240z or 260z as a project car, I really like the vented bonnet which adds to the overall look of the car that I like, cheers Quote
dazzed Posted May 14, 2008 Posted May 14, 2008 if i have d shaped door hinges i should have a fluted bonnet ,,,,,,,,,,,, what , geez better changes my door hinges bugger me Quote
Moderators Zedman240® Posted May 14, 2008 Moderators Posted May 14, 2008 Well if you have a cut and shut car, you might be in trouble...... Quote
260Coupe Posted May 14, 2008 Posted May 14, 2008 Bonnet Flutes where introduced to the mid '76 model 260's fitted with full Cal spec emmision gear ie. air pump (small compressor pumps air into echaust manifold diluting exhaust gases) and EGR (Exhaust Gase Recirculation) Flat top carb fuel/air was leaner causing under bonnet temps to rise and vapour locking to be an issue. My Aug 76 260z 2 seater still had all this fitted when I bought it 20 year ago with 56,000 km on the clock . Quote
620Z Posted May 15, 2008 Posted May 15, 2008 If worst comes to worst and you are not hell bent on original, you can always cut a hole in your bonnet and put in some flutes. I don't think they are genuine. My brother did this on his 240. Are the bonnets interchangable? I think they are. Quote
lightmaster240z Posted May 15, 2008 Posted May 15, 2008 I got vent in my 240 so the answer is yes they are interchanceable. regards bruce Quote
zedevan Posted December 3, 2008 Posted December 3, 2008 on the vented bonnet i picked up, it has a shield below the passenger side vent, yet the other side its straight through. It looks like this is the way they were from the factory, and i am curious as to if anyone knows the reasons y. Also if anyone has removed the shield to help vent more air? On the bonnet it also has a sticker that states the motor type as an L26T - any ideas as to what the T stands for? Quote
NZeder Posted December 3, 2008 Posted December 3, 2008 You guys in Oz got the vented bonnet but not all markets got them I had to purchase one new from Nissan for my 76 260z as it was not standard and it has the D latches etc - I just wanted one. The cars here in NZ with them fitted standard are all Oz imports not NZ new or JDM models, or UK imports Quote
Moderators Zedman240® Posted December 3, 2008 Moderators Posted December 3, 2008 Those metal shields should be on both sides; on the drivers side vent that shield stops water landing on the fusible links and the other side covers up the carbs. I thought they were only for one side but this week I have seen a 260 with both metal sheilds. Quote
zedevan Posted December 3, 2008 Posted December 3, 2008 thanks for the info - i wonder y someone ever took one side off then, as it appears as though the bonnet still has its orginal paint on it etc I dont like my chances of finding one - unless someone has a smashed up bonnet? Quote
24OZ Posted December 4, 2008 Posted December 4, 2008 thanks for the info - i wonder y someone ever took one side off then, as it appears as though the bonnet still has its orginal paint on it etc I dont like my chances of finding one - unless someone has a smashed up bonnet? shouldn't be too hard to bend up an identical one if you aren't hell bent on originality if you did it yourself a sheet of ali would be easy-> work/rivet/spray.....voila Quote
sydney mike Posted December 4, 2008 Posted December 4, 2008 Mines a late '76 2 seater, only on one side but don't know if there was one over the drivers side.. Quote
zedevan Posted December 4, 2008 Posted December 4, 2008 dam your car's clean When i was taking off the vents on the bonnet i have i noticed the passenger side seems to have one stud thats long enough for two nuts to fit on it - one effectively being a spacer for the shield, which i assume is there to help with assembly. Where the drivers side doesn't have it - which makes me think it wasn't there from the factory on Aus cars atleast. 240z you're right, it would be easy enough to make up one that does the job, although looking orginal would be hard without access to some nicer equipment. Quote
24OZ Posted December 7, 2008 Posted December 7, 2008 my vented bonnet has shields on both sides i was considering using it on my turbo conversion but was worried about the rain getting into the engine bay (i bought a supra with a vented bonnet and all the alloy parts had a film of white oxidation on them,looked awful) anyone had any experiences like this with the vented Z bonnets? Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.