Fitting Original Gear Knob

Therambleman

Hi guys,

Might be a pretty basic question but I wanted to fit the original gear knob that I have to my 260 (replacing the crappy holden one that's on there).

It looks identical to this one:

https://zcardepot.com/driveline/transmission/manual/shift-knob-wood-4-and-5-speed-510.html

Just wondering if anyone has done this before and if anyone has any tips on what to do to ensure I don't stuff it up!

I have looked through the forums already and can't find anything.

Thanks for your help!

• Administrators

Just unscrew the old and screw on the new. Nothing hard about it. Unless someone messed with the existing thread on the lever - which I doubt.

Hardest part will be getting the numbers to line up straight.

Just unscrew the old and screw on the new. Nothing hard about it. Unless someone messed with the existing thread on the lever - which I doubt.

Hardest part will be getting the numbers to line up straight.

You can use small amounts of balled up newspaper to get the gear knob to sit in the correct position.

Thanks Gav and 44.

Took the old one off and there had been a whole bunch of putty molded to the screw in order to fit the holden knob. Cleaned up well though and thread was untouched –  just had to fit a new nut inside the new knob (existing one was moving around inside the wood). Amazingly it actually worked. Next step newspaper to make it sit straight.

Thanks for the tips.