240Z At Motorclassica 2016

Classicman

I've just heard some really great news. The collector that bought the Zim car from me entered it into Motorclassica this year. They inspected the car and have accepted his entry into the Concourse D Elegance for this year. That's quite an honour and I'm pretty chuffed with the news.

To make matters even more exciting, my '74 BMW 2002tii Alpina tribute was invited to be part of the indoor display for the three days. That's a double whammy for me, and I'm over the moon!

Congratulations on both entries. I wonder if this is the first time a 240Z has been displayed at Motorclassica?

I have been meaning for the past few years to try and tie a work trip in to coincide with the show. Have managed to do it for both Phillip Island historic and the Datsun nationals at Phillip Island in the past but yet to attend Motorclassica.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys, I've been offline for a few months - hectic schedule......

We got an email from Motorclassica organisers yesterday to invite the 240Z to be entered into the "Restoration of the Year" category.  Fingers crossed!

I'll be at the show for the duration, and mostly hovering between the 240Z and my Alpina.  It would be great to meet any of you that might be coming to the show.

Went to Motorclassica yesterday afternoon, hadn't been for a few years, some great cars and bikes on display and to have a 240Z amongst the marques was great to see, certainly was getting a fair share of attention. Great job on the resto Classicman on both the Z and the Alpina, sorry I didnt talk to you, a bit hard when you dont know the person and who to ask or check who owns what. Interesting on the write up on the display its was written as a 1974 240Z, amongst other differences, I noticed front guards lenses/indicators, rear glass dimister, the rear bumper bar had the illumination section for the reg plate, were these differences for the Sth Africa market? I can say my vote went to the Z offcourse. The split window silver Vette next to the Z was a very nice resto, attention to detail was crazy, I also had a wonder around the outside section, weather was pretty crap for most of the day, rain, sun for a minute, rain again, again didnt chat to any of te skyline people, sorry didnt mean to be rude. All in all a great few hours and am certainly missing the Z, especially after a show like this.

regards

John

Thanks John.

The car was a UK delivered car, and the differences you noted were for the UK market.  It was first registered in 1974 and thats where the confusion comes with the dates.

To put the calibre of cars into perspective.  The three finalists for "Restoration of the Year" were a Ferrari Dino, Mercedes 190SL and a Holden Monaro GTS.  The Monaro won in the end. The standards of restorations and the size of chequebooks is really out of this world.  I was speaking to one of the contestants, and his restoration alone cost $200k!

Anyway, I am proud that the 240Z made it that far, and happy with the exposure.

Hi Nick,

Well done.

Does the fellow you sold the car to have the original wheels and hubcaps fitted ??? I have decided to clear out a lot of my spares and have a few sets of NOS hubcaps for a 73Z.

If the owner is interested they can contact me through the forum.

PM sent