Going to Lakeside tomorrow - hard or soft suspension setting?

grimlynsan

Thanks Aubs and 260Det. And Jason and Jake, I am pretty sure you are bang on about the tyre pressures. I just wanted to not mess with them all day and learn for myself what it feels like. Next time I will be adjusting pressures for sure and hopefully I can feel the difference.

And yes I heard about the supersprint meet to which you refer at the latest Z club get together at All Jap Day.

I too had a brake issue with the rear left radiating a load of heat and the rear right normal temp. I am damn sure the handbrake wasn't on but if it was, at least I know I can go faster next time! It seems to still have plenty of meat on the pad but maybe they will need kitting?

I took all my wheels off and gave them a proper scrub yesterday (yes, even the backs!) and they came up ok actually. I thought while I was at it I'd give them a weigh too and the Performance brand 'superlites' are more like 'mildly lights' in comparison to the Rotas (unless the tyres weigh a ton or something).

Street Setup

20.6KG | Rear  | Rota RBX | 17x9.5 | 255/40 | Federal Super Steel 595

19.4KG | Front | Rota RBX | 17x9    | 235/45 | Federal Super Steel 595

Track Setup

18.6KG | All 4 | Performance | 15x8 | 225/50 | Yokohama Advan A048

A couple month's back, Jason was explaining that you can have weight removed from the rims if the middle is sufficiently thick. One day, when I'm chasing 10ths, it looks like I have plenty of meat to take off if need be. For now, I'm happy with the extra strength as I do go off track every now and then!

Oh and it turns out that those Federals a pretty decent - I'd been under the impression they were just cheapies but they seem to be their flagship performance street tyre so I shouldn't be too surprised they did so well at the Lakeside outing I suppose.

Regarding the tyre softener, I know that it replaces the chemicals that evaporate out of the tyre when they dry out, that's why you wrap them at the same time. But I don't know if it will make a difference to tyres that are from 2008, that seem to have been sitting unwrapped and in well used state for quite some time. I've now freshened up the top layer... it would be intuitive to me that now would be a good time to apply and wrap but I don't want to part with $50 for a tin of it if I have missed the boat with this set... anyone had any experience reviving really old ones? Or can you only really use it to extend the life of new ones?

Lee

post-3641-144023753099_thumb.jpg

post-3641-144023753102_thumb.jpg

post-3641-144023753107_thumb.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link to the results site, just click on racing http://racing.natsoft.com.au/results/#2

Gresham and Ian Solomon are very experienced drivers in good cars so you did bloody well in the Treefiddy Jake, top marks. And the same for you Lee, Z cars winning and kicking euro backside :D

Thanks Richard, from looking at those results I worked out I was actually behind Ian Solomon for the regularity and was doing my best to get in front of him but ran out of laps and cooling haha!

Next time out i hope to get it into the high 64s on the clubman with a bit less tyre pressure and rotors that werent totally ruined. By the time we got to the national circuit i couldn't brake hard anymore.

2008 tyres are shot Lee, that's why they were cheap.

With your wheels, don't sweat it. For what you want to do get onto Option 1 at hamilton and buy some Achillies semis, will be cheap and for what you want faster than the old tyres. Then when you are ready to spend dollars you can buy a set of lighter wheels, Rotas or Enkeis depending on how much you want to empty your wallet, and then also get some better tyres, the proper semis, like R888's or new A048's or V700 from Kumho.

Don't worry about slicks, you will be quicker on street tyres than slicks with your current suspension.

But best of all enjoy and have fun.

For a bit of incentive, you still have a couple of seconds to go to be quicker than my near standard, extractors, cheap coilovers and semis, 1600 NA6 hairdresser car.

For a bit of incentive, you still have a couple of seconds to go to be quicker than my near standard, extractors, cheap coilovers and semis, 1600 NA6 hairdresser car.

Coupled with HOW MANY years of practice?!?!  ;)

Yes this is all very good advice. I see "Nitto" also seem to offer a reasonably priced option in 15". Anyone used those?

My next project is the catch can; I was getting a lot of dirty looks from people regarding the oil I was leaving in pit lane. I tried to explain that it was the Datsun factory engine-bay paint protection system kicking in but they were having none of it.

I have the can, but having issues finding a breather tube as my soon to be written WTB post will attest.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got home from another awesome outing at lakeside. It was a bit wet but I still got in loads of dry laps. Improved my PB, am now at 1:05.2 and was fortunate to pit with a couple of the lads from Garage San Maru. Always excellent to meet fellow forum members and Z enthusiasts.

Yes, as usual, Jake is 2 secs ahead. But I am sure his 350z could be caught by my 260z if it was in the hands of someone who knew what they were doing. Certainly he was impressed when he came for a passenger ride with me which is good praise from someone with a PMC monster (albeit in the garage).

Will need a new second hand set of semis before the next one I think. And maybe some brake pads. Can anyone recommend a good performance brake pad to fit 4runner calipers? I remember someone told me many moons ago you could buy a certain year of WRX or RX7 performance pads like greenstuff and they fit, or maybe required minimal machining... thoughts?

Oh and my wifee doesnt want me to burn in some crash and I just had a bday so now I have all the gear and no idea!

post-3641-144023758341_thumb.jpg

I really recommend calling brakes direct. Those guys know there stuff and will tell sell you exactly what you need with free shipping. They have some great videos with general brake setup concepts on their facebook page too.

Put a damn tacho in your car before you blow up your motor too. It's nuts just guessing what revs you are doing! Lee wins most laps on track for the day as usual too.

I managed a 1:03.36 first time out at the lake. Bit nerve wracking having your first laps in the rain i'll tell you that.

My tyres are toast after that meeting and apparently I have a bit of time to pick up ditch 2008 model Toyo R888s haha.

Probably only one or two meetings max before I more the Z33 on, so if you want to beat me you better hurry up!

Lee you know you can see all the lap times from the day on NatSoft?

http://racing.natsoft.com.au/635842936/object_474508.90C/View?2

Good times boys, to be honest I would not be keen on doing any wet laps at Lakeside on semi slicks.

As for pads for the Toyota calipers, they are common with a number of cars so there will be a reasonable choice. At this stage any decent high performance pad should do you, racing pads only if racing is about all you do.

I use these pads Lee . You can get them from Brakes Plus and the closest one to me is on Kingston rd Underwood. They are made in QLD on the Gold Coast and so so a local product. But they will do any compond you like . But the 288 compound has done me well round Lakeside and is a compromise for the road. But they do wear under heavy use and will blacken your wheels on a sprint meeting 

post-1434-144023758508_thumb.jpg

Good times boys, to be honest I would not be keen on doing any wet laps at Lakeside on semi slicks.

As for pads for the Toyota calipers, they are common with a number of cars so there will be a reasonable choice. At this stage any decent high performance pad should do you, racing pads only if racing is about all you do.

After I took a ton of air out of the semis they gripped up amazingly well in the wet. I was running around 26/27psi hot and that seemed to be the sweet spot.

Fit the Lucas TRW pads appropriate for those calipers.

Some of the qfm's have been known to crumble, f you get your compound selection wrong.

And, get the discs skimmed, when fitting new pads, as cross contamination will occur due to differeing pad materials imbedded into disc rotor.

Good times, how has the lowering of your pressures worked hey?

I managed a 1:07 flat on street (federal 595 super steel's) tyres and running 6psi boost ( dropped from 14 after the skyline just kept trying to kill me ) in my auto r34 skyline.

Id received a warning for " excess drifting " and had just about every person at the track come over to say they were in awe that i managed to get the car back a multitude of times.

From this experiance i take away dont use street tyres in the wet at lakeside... You will die.

Was good to meet you Lee! And yes as Jake said GET A TACHO!