What gearbox did I just buy?

Mikey

I bought this gearbox yesterday for my 260 auto conversion

It was advertised as a 260z gearbox

But The bell housing says L4 NMCA

And NMCA 1# on the gearbox.

Just wanting to make sure it's not a s13 box or something.

Thanks

Mikey

I have a box with the same markings fitted to my old 1600. It came out of a Bluebird.

I believe NMCA = Nissan Motor Company Australia and L4 = L-series bellhousing, so could be out of anything aussie-made and fitted with an L-series engine (ie not a zed)

If its an l-series 5 speed, it will bolt up to the rear of an L26 no dramas.

The only 5 speeds that are shorter are Stanza and R30 skyline. 180B SSS and Stanza 5 speeds are a lighter-duty box (also have a "dogleg" shift pattern). The only real differences between a bluey 5 speed and a 260Z one is the ratios and synchro type.

You'll need a flywheel, four cylinder L20B are 200 mm diam clutch, six cylinder L can be 225 mm or (rarer) 240mm

The box you describe is a common Lseries 71B type box, fitred to Bluebirds, 1970-1980's Skylines, later 260/280 z or zx's.

Your crossmember should be fine, the auto mount may be different to a manual box type.

I would have thought the easy way to tell is sandwich plate between the 2 halves of the gearbox. A 71 series (be it B or C - excluding the A as that is 3 piece design) has a steel plate between the 1/2s but the 63 series (aka 4 cylinder box) does not have a steel sandwich plate.