Owens 3.2 build ,starting over

peter mc

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can make your pipes the same Gordo , but its easier to start with a new set , the new pipe has a shorter primary pipe  buy 150mm and fatter second pipe that is shorter as well , when we did Jake's we made 3 sets of pipes and tryed new lengths and size and  these pipes are what we cam out with .

Gareth the gears set is from kameari , its a 1st 2nd 3rd set and we have fitted a 5 gear so he can cruze with the 4.3 diff ,

for one there a much stronger gear set , and when you fit the big cams you dont want a gappy gear set like most jap boxes 2nd to 3rd is just to wide , and the motor falls off the cam and thats not cool ....  ;D 

Sweet! at least ill have something that can take my bad driving  ;D  looks great pete  8) ill have the car dropped off this Saturday thought I'd get a set of cohoonies and just do it in stead of getting les to come pick the car up! Lol

Mind sharing the ratios there? I just built a box in my floor, that had gear ratios I couldn't find in any Nissan box...Not sure if I scored a rare core or something. Nothing in Nissan USA got the below ratios, nor can I find a listing for any box with the gear widths in this one...2, 3, 4 are all 22mm wide, 1st gear is 24mm wide, input gear set is 22mm wide. 5th gear is still 18mm wide, with a high tooth-count pair...still the 240SX 0.754 ratio but with a third more teeth. Uses a 1997 Pathfinder 4WD synchro kit, but a 2WD bearing kit and case. The 2WD synchros would fit, but didn't allow the gearset to fit into the case...too long.

The ratios in my box are 3.321, 1.915, 1.517, 1:1, 0.754

The third gear...should be 1.308 to make it match with the gearset I was expecting. Second gear should have been 2.088, too...but I checked more times than I care to recall the tooth counts and kept getting the same numbers.

yer Xnke i spent some time looking for your gear ratios and only 1 make sense , the first gear is a normal Nissan ratio but the 2 3rd gears don't work at all ,

with Owens he is using a 4.3 diff and i have fitted a .75 5Th gear so it will be at 3000 at 110 ,

Bit off topic, but if these gear ratios work so well for a 4.3 are they going to be ok with the 4.11? Or am i going to be really missing out?

YER Jake the only ratio that needs to be diffrent is 5 gear,  the rest are nice and close and that's what you want with the torque at 5500  , Owens engine will make max torque at 4900 to 5200 , so it will run a .75 5 th and still drive nice

OK but mine has the .75 5th in it being an RB20 box right? So in theory the exact same ratios and a 0.75 5th.

I just looked at the transmission calc Les sent me and it says 2900rpm @ 110kph for 4.11 with a 0.75 5th with 245/45/16s = Top speed of 282.284kph

With a 0.83 5th it's still only doing about 3200rpm @ 110kph with a top speed of 255kph. That would be better for the track surely and who really wants to be able to do 280kph in a 240Z?

Looks like there is only about 4-6kph in each gear going from a 4.11 to a 4.3. Is that noticeable?

This is making the torque lower because of the street cam too right?

well its still on the dyno , Les and i had a hard time with the tune its at 300hp at 7000 but we are still tuning and making different pipes , and adjusting the cam , maybe changing the cam , also the injectors are maxed out now ,... its been a hard slog but tomorrow will see more tuning and i will get back to you with a video  :)

MATE did we change cams lol 3 times , and pipes we tryed 3 combos with all cam  combos , we tryed so hard to get the torque up ,  in the end it got the 1308 cam , 590Lift 300deg and the SW race pipes , the big pipes lost a bit down low around 15ftlb , they were better after 5000rpm all the way to 7500  but as a road car the small pipes had to go on , also the big cam just did not work in your EFI combo.

So,can anyone tell me if there is another engine builder in Aus that works this hard to get the best results?

Over the many years I have been racing and the countless engine rebuilds I have had. They all just pass you the engine over the counter and say , there you go. Good luck with it. Hoping that the exhaust and fuel system are a good match. At least PMC engines walk out the door a tried and tested thing. Another happy costumer. Good job Peter.