Bolt on front disc and caliper upgrade with no fuss

crowe

Hi all,

Has done either of the following on a 260Z, if so did you have to upgrade MC and did the conversion work fine with standard rear drum setup.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Datsun-240Z-260Z-280Z-Front-Stage-4-Performance-Disk-Brake-Upgrade-Kit-/121492985038?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400814030302?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I am looking for a no fuss straight kit that i can changeover for brake performance at club events.

Any comments appreciated

Damn that 1st one looks decent, $100 shipping also very reasonable....(damn the aussie $ !)

Nevertheless this does come in cheaper than the AZC kit, the question is are these calipers inferior, equal or superior to the willwoods from AZC ?  Hmmmm youve gotta be tempted. ;)

I have the same stage 4 brakes from Silvermine. Bolted right on. Its suggested to upgrade the MC to a 1" unit with these.

They use the Landcruiser vented S12w calipers. And they apparently have larger pistons than the wilwoods.

I'd go AZC, more than adequate for the task or you'd be paying triple.

Dust seals are not a requirement for brake calipers as far as the ADRs are concerned. Dust seals are not even mentioned in the ADRs. Plenty of production cars in Australia have brakes that do not have dust seals.

There are also AP's that have been approved for road use here that also do not have dust seals. Even ones fitted a while back by HSV to their vehicles.

But you will have more trouble getting a caliper like these passed here in Australia. Mainy because of misinformation. Best advice, contact your engineer about them to be sure.

As usual Wilwood calipers are not road legal in Australia

DeCoy,

I think this is an urban myth.  This myth has been based on a lack of dust shields, but as Z states, there are quite a few OEM calipers in our everyday road cars that have no dust shields.

MaygZ

There are also AP's that have been approved for road use here that also do not have dust seals. Even ones fitted a while back by HSV to their vehicles.

Lol did you cut and paste that line from the cobra forum?http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/1000253-post5.html

You are right about the misinformation; it's not the dust seals that are a problem. It's the tapered thread on the brake line that stops them from passing and APs don't have tapered fittings. Or maybe they do and the Wilwoods dont, it could be the other way round but it is to do with the brake line fitting either way.

Spacers are illegal but they have to check behind the brake rotor to find them, less likely.

At the end of the day if you have a crash on the road and you have a modified brake system what will they check? It's a risk we all take as any car with significant modifications usually have a few that don't follow the book.

I just thought it was pertinent to point it out to the OP regardless of what the actual ADR issue is with them, as a lot of people that buy them are not aware. I have also been told by several knowledgeable sources that Wilwood calipers are relatively poor quality and not crash hot for track use but i'm sure others would argue that point.

To actually answer the OP's questions:

• Hilux upgrade offers minimal fuss and great braking performance, most common upgrade for zeds. You can also do 300ZX Z32 caliper upgrade if you want a lighter caliper and a 297mm honda rotor, but you need a caliper bracket with that one.
  • No you don't have to upgrade the M/C but it is strongly advised especially for track work
  • Yes it works fine with the rear drums. Just make sure the M/C you switch to has a residual pressure valve in it or you put one in as the 280ZX one wont. 1" Landcruiser one does it think.

Yeap sure did, and I agree with it, good on you for taking the time, amazeballs.

Do I have to paste all the other copy stating Willwoods are great gear, I think you should perhaps read/research a little more (like I clearly did:) before writing off one of the best known brands around.

Fact is they can be engineered for road legal use and yes, Willwoods are going in my car haha.

Cool, so what are you doing to address the tapered thread problem?

I have also been told by several knowledgeable sources that Wilwood calipers are relatively poor quality and not crash hot for track use but i'm sure others would argue that point.

I thought I made it pretty clear that other people would disagree with that comment and to clarify I was talking to them in relation to using them on a race track.