351 cleveland in 260z

DaveDimo

great web site xa1973, i will use that site for sure. great reference.

now just have to think of a gear box to back it up. 5 speed manual for sure but which one? could always put a top loader in there haha.

and how strong is the diff in the 260zs, will it be able to take the power of the v8? or is there an option there aswell??

Have you consulted an engineer about this? I see you give your location as Wollongong which implies a NSW registration. At present only 5.3ltr engines can be fitted to 260Zs in NSW. They are supposed to be adopting the National standard which will allow up to 5.5ltr but they have been saying that for 3 years. Don't rush into something that can't be registered.

ah thats an interesting satement.

so we have

289 windsor 4.2L

302 windsor/clevo 5.0

351 windsor clevo 5.8

but i have a 351 here with a 302 block casting numbers. engineer wont check the engine internals i dont think. as long as u use a 302 block with 351 internals no one will ever because the block number is a 302.

and yeh i have been researching the diff business. i am going LSD for sure.

this L26 motor and 3 speed has to go its giving me the poops. need some ford reliability.

Gearbox:  I know of people who do Cleveland conversions in their 4x4s who use W series Supra/Hilux gearboxes.  There will be bellhousing conversions available from Marks adaptors or Castlemain rod shop.  Very strong gearboxes and relatively cheap to buy.

it will be a totally stock 351 clevo for sure. i have the XY GT for when i want some poser under my foot. i honestly dont see a 351 clevo having much more then 200 hp at the wheels and that would be puching it i think.

its starting to sound good haha im getting excited just realised though with the clevo i need to find the oil sump with the pick up at the rear but i cant remeber if clevos have those kind of sumps.

Yes you will have to watch the sump's depth on a lowered Zed. Can become a problem. I go one made up specially to suit my car. I also ended up putting a Tremec 5 Speed behind my motor but figured they might be a bit expensive for your project, hence my suggestion of the T5.

yeh ive been thinking about it and i dont want to admit it but i might have to go the 289/302 windsor motor i got instead. done some measurements today and with the original air filter that i want to use it is way to big so might have to go the windsor. still a 289 is nothing to sneeze at it will be more reliable and run heaps better then the stinking 2.6 in there now.

and yeh i like the idea of the t5 but if manual is too much mucking around then ill trow a c4 in it that i have spare behind the house. its a three speed fo i can use all the original datsun console and shifter with minor mods. 

but i will try to make the manual work first.

my had also thinks that the 289 will be a more sensible idea and i have to agree lol i think i let my dreams get ahead of me haha

Just get a Chev and be done with it.  ;D

hahahhaah Craig. though u have a point. cheaper to buy cheaper to mod and can take lot of punishemnt.

unlike the fords. been doing lot of reasearch into moding windsors and clevos. and not terribly excited about it. and im a Ford guy more than Chev.

Dimo. u sell me the 351 clevo so i can stick it in my Mustang than u go buy a RB25DET and stick it in the Z. or if u want V8 by VH45DE and kick arse with it.  u can pick up a VH45 for around 1500 with box and wiring.

hahahhaah Craig. though u have a point. cheaper to buy cheaper to mod and can take lot of punishemnt.

unlike the fords. been doing lot of reasearch into moding windsors and clevos. and not terribly excited about it. and im a Ford guy more than Chev.

Dimo. u sell me the 351 clevo so i can stick it in my Mustang than u go buy a RB25DET and stick it in the Z. or if u want V8 by VH45DE and kick arse with it.  u can pick up a VH45 for around 1500 with box and wiring.

just a question on that. If I have a VH45DE mounted in a 280zx. Does that mean if I took it out and put it in my 240z all the mounts would work in the 240?

I guess it depends if the cross member was modified.

I would love to have the power of the VH45 in the lighter body of my zed :D

• 3 months later...

i belive that both motor r fine. They will fit i think castlemaine rod shop makes engine mounts 4 those motors. Also go for a auto probly a c4 or a c6 with a high stally to suited your motor and manly a full manulized auto will help more or a shift kit depending on your needs.AND A 289 IS A 4.7 LITRE I SHOULD KNOW MY BROTHER HAD ONE ORIGANLLY IN HIS 65 FORD MUSTANG.