Recommendation on Tyres for 16": 8.5"-6 and 9.5"-17 To match the Ideal Offset

fufu

Hi guys, theres been a lot of posts of ideal offsets

So for certain lets put it into brick or stone that with a 240z and flares the ideal rim in 16" would be 8.5" wide (-6) offset and 9.5" wide (-17)

Anyone recommend any tyre sizes? brands? brand series? that will fit these sizes?

What tyre are you running with these similar rim specs? and how do they perform?

Regards,

Fu

depends on the look you want ie stretched or not as i've noticed a lot of the jap cars with zg's have that stretched look with with the rim size you have mentioned. I'm pretty sure the tyre combo is usually 225 front and 245 rear. can't remember profile but most likely 225/50's with 245/45's.

sulio

OMG, it's going to be hell of a find for those rear specifications.

I had a search on the major tyre manufacturers website and it's impossible to get 245/45/16.

No problems finding the front tyres it's just the rears. Grrrrr.... damn i'll keep searching.

Yer before I bought my wheels and installed my flares I did quite a bit of research and found that wide 16 inch tyres are very limited and your often paying top dollar when you do find the right size. Thats why I decided to go for a 17 inch rim. I find they look good and tyre options are plentiful.

Sulio

normal_clearance.jpg

There are 3 sets of brands that offer tyres in the ideal 16" size.

Brand    Tyre Series

Hankooks: R-S2

Sumitomo: HTR Z

Falken: FK-451

They have tyres in both the 225/50/16 and the 245/45/16

However I've had past experiences, with front wheel drives cars, for Falken and Sumitomo, firstly the Falken... are useless after 10k km and you will tyre squeel and lose grip at low speeds. Even for normal driving around town. Forget driving in the wet with Falkens that is if you don't have a deathwish. Sumitomo however were a better tyre and do last a bit however hard to source as they aren't a fairly popular brand.

This review was based upon a Toyota Corolla 2002 Hatchback  :D Not really useful, but seriously, a 65kw car doing those characteristics to those branded tyres... kinda says something about those tyres, i mean the car was a fairly weak standard car. So in all honesty stay away from Falkens i think they're over rated.

I will however probably consider Hankooks as there ratings on several sites aren't too bad and they can be ordered fairly regularly and easily.

Ok I have some 16x8.5 -6 and 16x9.5 -19 RS Watanbes with 225/50/16 and 245/45/16 - however my car is not on the road yet (still waiting for the panel finish) but I have installed them on the car to check if the custom flares were ok. So here is pic with on the car you can see the stretch (not too bad) this pic was taken with no springs to check the clearances (just blocks of wood at lower than full coil bind). I hope this helps

post-104-144023478211_thumb.jpg

post-104-144023478218_thumb.jpg

I know you guys are all talking big wheels and flared guards but just wanted to mention that i brought a set of sumitomo tyres for my 260z yesterday on standard 14inch 260z alloys and it only cost me $380.00 for four fitted and balanced from the new wheel and tyre place on burwood highway in ferntreegully, cant remember what the place is called but its near ferntree gully nissans used car yard. Anyway they told me the sumtomo's were a great tyre and after driving to wilsons Prom and back since yesterday in the rain im pretty happy so far.

i like the amount of flat you have at the edge of those flares nzeder, and it looks clean with the shaved rails, very awesome ;D

Thanks man - it is a long time coming the car has now been off the road 10 years. What do you mean by shaved rails?

No rails are still there I guess it is just the angle etc - it rains too much here in Auckland not to have them...then again it would look cool....hmmm stop putting idea's into my head.

Sorry for the hi-jack but back to the rims/tyres - so what tyre will you run with Fu? The issues is getting anything larger than 245/45/16 you can get 255/50/16 but that makes for tall tyre = clearance issue and if you go slicks you can get 265 something (well you used to be able to here in NZ)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi,

Just to update this section. Yes, it means we can now buy 16's and have tires  ;D

Quite a few brands have started releasing the tyre spec profile mentioned as the subject.

Toyo released T1R's a while ago, Toyo R1Rs their new tyre also is available.

Hankook has a heap:- Ventus: R-s2, S1 Evo, ST, V12 Evo, V8 RS, XQ-Optimo, AS, Prime.

*EDIT* I just got quoted, Toyo R1R for $200 each 245/45/16, Toyo T1R for $180 225/50/16 and $240 245/45/16

These prices include fitting and balancing. I'm thinking of going Toyo's as the price is fairly similar across the other brands... plus... its Toyo... good reviews.